Woo, this is ancient, now. Bungie kicked off the idea of a pumpkin-carving contest in 2003. We loved the winning pumpkins, so we held our own contest in 2004 - the first annual Guilt O' Lantern contest. Folks liked it, so we've done it every year since:
The rules are basic, and the same as they've always been: Carve the coolest Halo-related pumpkin you can think of. Please the community, win a prize. Check out the pages above for examples of what's won in the past.
Every year, we try to have cool prizes. Sometimes, we plan ahead, and good things happen. Other times, we space, but we get fantastic donations. And sometimes, we just fail. I think we did pretty well this year, thanks in large part to a bunch of folks who were willing to contribute to the kitty.
Important Note: The Bungie-carved Funkins will NOT be delivered any time soon; while we've had several artists kindly agree to help out with this project, we do NOT have a timeframe for delivery, past "you will be able to display these Funkins for the 2010 Halloween Season." Please be patient! (The rest of the prizes will be shipped as soon as the voting ends.)
The following people contributed prizes or cash to make this year's prize package a reality - thanks to each and every one of them!
1. Your picture must reach HBO HQ by midnight, Eastern time, October 31, 2009.
2. Your picture, if digital, must be at least 640x480 pixels.
3. Your picture cannot be digitally altered. If we even THINK it's digitally altered, we'll toss it. (Yeah, we stole that rule from Bungie. It's a good rule.)
4. Your picture must not have been entered in the 2003 at Bungie.net, any of the 2004-2008 contests at bungie.org, or sent to us any time before October 1, 2009.
5. To win one of the two top prizes, you must have a mailing address within the continental US or Canada. (This has been a rule in the past because of prize useability limitations, but we're keeping it to make sure that shipping costs aren't out of hand.)
6. You can enter as often as you wish, but you can only win once. If two or more of the top three pumpkins are made by the same person, the third-place prize will go to the fourth-place finisher. (If all three pumpkins are made by the same person, actually, prizes will go to fourth and fifth-place finishers.)
7. If any of last year's winners are in the top 3 scorers, they will win a 'Legacy Prize' - but they're not eligible for the top three prizes. We want to spread the wealth.
7.7. new rule for 2007 We will allow the use of Funkins, if you'd rather go that route. Still applicable in 2009.
Entries will be judged by the Halo community. Images will be put up in a gallery, starting in early November, and will be accessible for voting for one week. Votes can be cast by anyone with a valid email address (but if we suspect ballot stuffing, we're tossing ALL your votes - again, don't even give us a REASON to suspect you). Winners will be announced sometime around mid-November.
This is a pure popularity contest - make a pumpkin everyone thinks is the coolest, you'll win.
How to Submit Your Entry (or entries):
You have two options for getting your contest entries to us:
After you have done one of these two things, you need to send us an e-mail at email@example.com. Include the following information in your e-mail:
Make sure that you include ALL of the information that we ask for. Incomplete entries will be discarded. (All of the information in the email should ALSO be collected via the upload interface... but problems have occurred in the past, we're being thorough.)
If you're sending us a photo or CD, mail it to:
343 Guilt O' Lantern