halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


CR.01: Chaotic Reign .01
Posted By: TheRedFaction<Hometokell@aol.com>
Date: 19 March 2003, 2:13 AM


Read/Post Comments

One hundred twenty-three years after the Covenant waged their holy war against humanity, the war that was intended to cease the human growth, the Covenant Elder that aided the unity of the three Races, declared their reign over humanity. Naturally, the human Elder had something to say.
"Over the span of almost one and a half centuries, we have lived in peace and unity and declared the laws of freedom, the laws that give every creature, every citizen under our nation their rights. The laws that forbid the reign of a single High Elder. And who are we to disobey those laws? We, the three Races, have agreed to the fair leadership of our people. And it is a sin to reject those laws, the rights of all creatures."
Of course, the Covenant Elder had more to put in. "We know of your intelligence, Elder Rin. But over these years, time and time again, it has been proven that we are foolish for our past differences. But we also know that our system of equal rights and leadership is falling apart. With the reign of a single Elder, the Races will be balanced, and all will resume in the form it was meant to be."
"Spare me, Elder Kaiid-Jahjun. The reign of a single Elder will result in fighting and will forcefully combine religions, beliefs, and ways of life in a way they should not be."
"Then what do you suggest? A constant fight every few decades to determine who will reign the Races?"
"Of course not. The three Elders should remain equal and lead their people in their own ways. A Covenant Elder, ruling Humanity and the Rankai? Preposterous."
"Nonsense. This will ensure peace."
"It will ensure the destruction of the three Races."
The Rankai Elder, Orcon, butted in. "I'd have to agree with Elder Rin. Our technology is virtually equal, and combining the Races will cause mayhem. The Races will fight and eventually destroy each other."
Kaiid-Jahjun didn't give up. "Elder Rin, your race depends entirely on the leadership of one person. For example, take your lead nation on Earth: The United States. One leader, the President. Within that nation are many different religions, different beliefs, and yet they live in harmony under one person."
"Yes, but take the fact that they are all humans. You are wanting to combine the Human Race with the Covenant and Rankai. Many do not agree with the single rule of one Elder. I'm sure many of your own race disagree as well."
Kaiid-Jahjun leaned back into his chair. He felt Halo rotating beneath him.
Rin also leaned back, somewhat satisfied with his speech. He crossed his fingers and stared at Kaiid-Jahjun and then glanced at Orcon.
Orcon remained standing. "Elder Kaiid-Jahjun," he said, rather loudly, have you anything more to say?"
"This council meeting was a waste of my time," he muttered to himself, trying not to express his frustration.
A decision must be made, Kaiid-Jahjun thought angrily. He wanted to continue his reign as an Elder among the three Races, and he felt that he could gain the trust of his people if he got his way. If Elder Rin and Elder Orcon don't want to oblige to my plan, then I can make them against their will. Better yet, eliminating two of the three Races would better solve this problem.
"This meeting is dismissed."

Elder Rin rose from his chair and left the Grand Council room. Elder Kaiid-Jahjun is a fool. Is he really that intent on getting his way?
Elder Orcon thought almost the exact same thing. Only he was confronted by a curious Rankai boy who demanded to know what happened. Orcon smiled.
"Istas Yunash Kiede Hahc Drech-tienton," Orcon replied.
"Oostas remya toos Yach-taye?"
Orcon nodded. "Iros dache wuthstoin."
The boy smiled and ran to his home, shouting loudly.
Orcon, for the first time in hours, felt glad to be alive.

Elder Rin, however, was having more trouble discussing the meeting to Senior Kanton, the leader of the Human colonies on Halo.
"The Covenant want to rule all the three Races? They're insane."
Elder Rin agreed, but was quick to address the situation. "I feel that if we don't agree with their plans, they are going to try and eliminate us and the Rankai."
"And what can we do about that?"
"Defend ourselves, or course."
"And Elder Orcon agreed with us?"
"Yes. He believes that the single rule of an Elder would go against our teachings and would result in the destruction of all three of the Races."
Senior Kanton folded his arms. "Hmm. So, are we to evacuate the colonies?"
Elder Rin had turned and was approaching the transport that had landed outside the colony shortly before. "Do as you will," Rin replied, not turning back. "But think about our people before making any decisions. Understood?"
"Yes, Elder."

We may all be doomed if Kaiid-Jahjun goes through with his plan. He's probably considering using force to make us agree.
Thoughts continued to race through Rin's mind as he stared at the ocean, as it eventually grew deeper and deeper as they sped away from the shore.
"Elder Rin?"
Rin looked up at the commanding officer that had stepped into the room. He saw the Elder gazing outside.
The officer smiled. "Fascinating, isn't it? Beautiful?"
Elder Rin smiled back. "Quite."
"Do you know anything more about Kaiid-Jahjun's idea?"
"Other than it's completely idiotic and foolish, no."
The officer sat down next to the Elder. "Do you think we're going to have to fight against the Covenant again?"
"I'm not sure. But if we do, chances are we'll have the Rankai on our side."
The officer nodded and soon left the Elder to continue looking out the vast window.

"Elder Kaiid-Jahjun of the Covenant Race, we are told that you have a desire to rule the three Races yourself. Is this true?"
Elder Kaiid-Jahjun stood before the Grand Council. "Yes, Grand Councilman. I feel that this may unite the races more than ever."
"Do you realize that this is strictly forbidden in the Races' code of laws?"
"Yes, Grand Councilman."
"I get the impression that you don't."
"I do, Grand Councilman."
"Then tell me, Elder Kaiid-Jahjun, why is it you wish to break all laws, bring forth an endless war, destroy religions alike, and ensure the inevitable destruction of the Races?"
"Grand Councilman, this new order will allow us to live together in ways we never imagined before."
"Have you any proof of this?"
"How should I?"
The Grand Councilman leaned back into his chair. It had been decided that a human would be the Grand Councilman, due to the human way of justice.
"Please, hear me out, Grand Councilman," Kaiid-Jahjun urged. "I promise you, the unity of the Races into one will bring us closer together. We can share technology. Exchange traditions. We can do anything we want."
"I beg to differ."
"How so?"
"The Laws have decided whether or not we are ruled by just one Elder. Three Elders makes a superior system of checks and balances, allowing peace to be maintained. Your idea defies those qualities."
Elder Rin rose from his seat. "Grand Councilman, if the Races were to go to war, would the Council permit self-defense in lethal terms?"
"I suppose that would be necessary, Elder Rin. Of course, any other use of military action without good reason against another Race would result in the judging of the Council. They would determine the fate of that person."
Elder Rin nodded and glanced at Elder Kaiid-Jahjun. "Thank you, Grand Councilman."
Elder Orcon now stood up. "Grand Councilman, the Humans and the Covenant have a far more advanced military system than that of the Rankai. If our home world were to fall under attack, would the Council allow self-defense in lethal terms without prior notification?"
"If you have no other choice and do not have the time to address the Council, yes."
"Thank you, Grand Councilman." Elder Orcon also took his seat.
"Are there any further comments?" questioned the Grand Councilman.
Nobody answered.
"Very well. This meeting is over. Elder Kaiid-Jahjun, your protest is permanently overruled. Dismissed!"

Next: CR.02: Chaotic Reign .02





bungie.org