halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


THE QUEST FOR FREEDOM Chapter 1 Return of the Lost Spartan
Posted By: ThASuPaMaN8<ThASuPaMaN8@aol.com>
Date: 27 September 2002, 2:19 am


Read/Post Comments

"Holy shit.... A SPARTAN!" exclaimed the sergeant. "MARINES, LETS SHOW THESE COVIE BASTARDS WHAT WERE MADE OF!"
"SIR YES SIR!" screamed the marines in unison.
Fighting with renewed vigor the marines started pushing back the remaining elites. Every few shots they took a step forward, pushing the elites that much backwards.
John took a couple shots with his new assault rifle and pegged two elites in the head. One had his shield on, he survived the shot but his shield was gone, the other took a head shot and collapsed on the ground. As the other elite wheeled around to go after John, he caught three pistol shots in the neck and fell right beside his partner. John and the marines were unleashing unholy hell on the remaining elites and started closing in on the jewel. All the while more and more mortars were coming from the playground.
Rain started pouring down even harder, making the destroyed street of balboa into a mix of mud and gravel. So when the mortar hit the ground by Jebbs, the explosion didn't get him but the jagged edges of the gravel pieces lacerated his face making it full of blood, sweat, and dirt, He was hurt bad, but his arms and legs would have to be missing for him to stop fighting. So in retaliation, he let out a battle cry and charged forward. With all his might he ran for the jewel at top speed, dodging the plasma fire left and right from the oncoming elites. Then a shot from a plasma rifle got him on his ankle, burning away at the flesh leaving only bone. After that an elite came running towards him and raised his rifle to deliver the final blow to Jebbs, but a glint of metal rushed passed Jebbs and swung around the elite. The elite flashed and fell on top of Jebbs. He peaked over the carcasses shoulder to see the back of the crouching master chief steadying his gun as he switched to shredder rounds.
John turned back around and said to Jebbs, "I'm not letting you die here, I leave no men behind."
He picked up Jebbs and threw him over his shoulder, and he ran at full sprint behind the pizzeria. He set him down on the ground and pulled out a small medikit from a fastened pouch on his side.
"Here, use this" John said giving him the medikit. "It's all I have but it's better than nothing." John ran around the corner and more shots from his assault rifle could be heard, followed by angered screams of the covenant.
John saw that the marines had only a couple elites to go and took the opportunity to throw a grenade at one of the elites. The elite didn't even see the frag grenade and kept fighting. Just as the elite realized what had happened, the grenade exploded and the elite's legs went into different directions and the upper torso flew towards the marines. The pain from losing his lower half was excruciating and he let out two shots from his plasma rifle, hitting a private in the head. Both the elite and private let out their final breaths at that moment.
Seeing that he was no greatly outnumbered with only one defending elite, the red elite took the jewel and ran off in the other direction.
"Uh.... I STRONGLY SUGGEST you go catch the elite, he has a jewel that we can't let him get away with," said Cortana, calling it to John's attention.
To the sergeant, the chief screamed "STAY HERE AND FINISH OFF THIS ELITE I'LL GET THAT JEWEL!"
The sergeant then nodded and focused on his assault rifle. John then took off like a bat out of hell, when he rounded the drop-ship he saw that the elite was already about a half kilometer from him. But John pressed on down the street trying to catch up. The elite then rounded a corner, but John kept running.
John was almost there, then Cortana said, "I'm picking up some huge activity around the next bend, be careful."
The elite came back around the corner in a ghost. The ghost came after him head on, but John and his new Mark VI suit quickly jumped out of the way. John switched to automatic and unleashed a flurry of bullets on the ghost, but to no avail, there was a shield around it. The ghost started firing at John, taking his shield down almost all the way. Looking quickly John tried to find a place to take cover but he saw nothing but buildings. He then dodged another melee attack from the ghost and punched out a wall. The ghost rounded out and hit him with more plasma shots taking out his whole shield. Just as the ghost tried to run him over again the master chief dived through the hole and laid there for a second, letting his shield recharge. He sighed as he saw his shield recharged, but a blue flare then soared overhead and landed five inches from his face. He quickly pushed himself back up and jumped back through the hole. In mid jump the ghost cross sectioned him and hit him in his side, sending him flying twenty feet down an alley. As the ghost started to move again, the wall exploded sending debris flying at the ghost. One particularly large chunk of cement hit the elite in the side knocking him off his floating mount.
John got up, realized his and the elites shields were gone and started running at the elite full force. He succeeded in tackling the alien as he was starting to get up. He started pummeling the elite in his four jawed mouth, letting blue blood ooze out the cracks of the armor. John then grabbed for the jewel but was cold cocked in the side of the helmet and was stunned for a second. The elite picked him up and threw him against another wall. John grunted from the pain, he couldn't get up that quickly from the attack.
The elite got back in the ghost and started moving full throttle at John to sandwich his head. John stared in horror as he saw the ghost coming; he tried moving but his stomach and back pounded with pain. Then a trail of smoke zoomed from outside the alley followed by a moderate blast right behind the ghost and it flipped over Johns head and crashed into the wall. Through the dust and debris John realized that the elite landed beside John, he saw he was still alive but stunned. John pulled the elite up to him and put one arm under the elite's neck and the other over his head and twisted. A loud CRACK could be heard and the elite went limp. John looked over to his left and saw Jebbs leaning on a tree with one leg, and a rocket launcher over his shoulder. He gave the chief a smirk and limped off back towards his platoon.
The chief got back up and saw his shield recharging. He shook off the cement on his suit and he looked in the building with the undamaged shielded ghost. Right beside the undamaged shielded ghost, was the big red ruby they were after. John picked it up and put it in the fastened pouch on his side
With a sigh of relief, John saw that the platoon had defeated the last elite. He then walked back to Alpha Base to be debriefed from the long and arduous mission on HALO.
"Finally... home..." said Cortana.
"This isn't home... Reach was," replied the Master Chief
"Well there's nothing we can do about it now," sighed Cortana.


When John entered Alpha Base, he was greeted by USNC Captain Johnson. He was a little stunned about seeing the Chief, seeing that the last they heard from the Pillar of Autumn was when it made the hyperspace jump out of the Reach system.
The Captain gave the chief a well deserved salute and said, "Well Master Chief, we didn't expect to see you whatsoever. We... We thought you and the rest of the Pillar of Autumn were destroyed by the pursuing Covenant battleships. What happened when you made that jump? How in holy heaven did you survive that entire fleet of Covenant?"
John replied with his story on HALO.
The Captain then said, "Well Keyes was a good man, it was a real loss for him to die. He will be missed dearly... But you DID manage to obliterate an entire armada of Covenant. I am deeply surprised by your story, and I can't help but be in awe of what you did, we are in deep debt to you Master Chief. By the way, how DID you get here?"
John answered, "Well we were in a swordfish bomber when a civilian frigate picked us up and flew us to Earth. I then jumped out of the frigate and boarded a Covenant cruiser. I planted a time bomb in the decks right before a drop-ship was ready to disengage from the cruiser. I stowed away in the drop-ship until it was about to land. I then corrupted the plasma generators and blew the ship in half. Where I met the Eagle Platoon, and completed the mission for them by getting this..."
He took out of his suit a red ruby the size of a baseball. The Captain took it and examined it for a minute.
"Ah, good work Master Chief, you got the first part of the Jewel of Isaiah. We don't know why the Covenant want it, but it's important to their siege on earth for some reason. We must not let it fall into their hands, AT ALL COSTS. I'm going to contact the admiral to give him a status report. He will be very pleased that you have returned. But now get some rest, we got work to do."
"Sir, I also have this, it might be useful to you," said John as he pulled out Cortana and gave it to the Captain.
"Ah yes, the AI construct. I'll review this later. Goodbye Master Chief."
The Captain gave John a crisp salute and began to walk out of the room when John said, "Sir?"
"Yes?"
"What's the situation on the Arians system?"
The Captain sighed as he turned around, "From what we've heard, 100% casualties... Reach has been glassed... I'm sorry; I don't think any other SPARTANs made it out alive..."
"Ok then..." sighed the Chief as he gave another salute to the Captain. The Captain returned it and walked off.
John then entered the living quarters and sat on his cot. He thought for awhile, he was the last of his kind, and he and this one last world, would have to defeat a race of superior beings. In response to that he thought two words, "Bring it..."





bungie.org