halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


D-Day: Reflection
Posted By: Shadow Spartan<silent_shadow13@hotmail.com>
Date: 29 January 2003, 11:36 pm


Read/Post Comments

            The Lieutenant nodded upon hearing the news from Corporal Kyle Nighthook, and then turned to chat again with Lieutenant Carlson. Kyle immediately crawled across the sand towards his friend, Corporal Charlie Cunningham, who was still using his pistol to take out the Covenant. Like always, it wasn't working. Kyle made sure he stayed low and leaned his head against the huge pillar box that lay on the ground. He looked up at his friend.
            "Any luck Chuck?" he asked. Cunningham shook his head and reloaded.
            "Nothing. They keep on hiding behind those damn shield barriers. Can't get a shot. I've wounded a Grunt though" he said, shaking his head. Nighthook patted him on the shoulder.
            "Keep at it" he said. Charlie nodded, and then continued to fire. As Kyle turned his head, he heard loud gasps all around him and lots of whispering among the marines. Kyle sat up slightly and nodded at what the marines were looking at it. The six Spartans that had just been dropped off emerged from the beach and spread out around their small encampment. The Master Chief was crouching with Lieutenant Jones and Lieutenant Carlson, obviously to make up some sort of plan. Kyle took a moment to relax and think.
            It was the year 2689 on a Tuesday evening in early June, by Earth standards. Kyle had grown up on Earth. His families were very wealthy and known by many. His father was an aeronautics scientist who worked on the various vessels and vehicles used by the UNSC. His mother was a highly trained surgeon, so because of these two amazing jobs, they were well "loaded." They were great parents though and Kyle missed them a lot. They sent him to a regular public school and not one of those private ones where kids are all snotty and rude. Kyle made lots of friends there and did well in school. He went to William Browning High School, were he passed every course he took, making honors a few times. His parents were proud of him nonetheless, even when his marks slipped one year slightly, he brought them back up. When he graduated from High School, he became troubled. Lots of his friends went off to join the Marine Core, and pretty much all of them died. Corporal O'Neil and Corporal Cunningham were his only high school friends left, out of over ten. He missed them all. Kyle back then had no idea what to do. His parents merely gave him advice of where to go and what to be, and let him decide what he wanted to do. Although this helped Kyle slightly, he still had no idea. It was when the Covenant came to Earth in 2704 when he decided. During his time of thinking and deciding, he heard a lot about the Spartans and wondered what it would be like to be one. He wasn't into firing a weapon or killing people, didn't like violence. However, when the Covenant came to his neck of the woods and slaughtered his family, he made up his mind. He returned home to find his house in ruins and his parent's body parts all over the place, but Kyle did not cry. He picked up a kitchen knife and literally slaughtered a small group of Grunts and Jackals coming down the street. After he killed them, he ran. He ran to a rental car shop that was almost right down the road and stole one of the hover cars they had. Using it, he "drove" to the nearest UNSC outpost and signed up to be a marine. He didn't receive much training though, especially in that time of crisis. He was shown how to put on his armor, load an MA5B assault rifle and told about the species of the Covenant. That was it, but to Kyle, that was all he needed to know. He was put in a platoon of marines and sent off on a mission. They were sent to a residential forest park just outside of Michigan, to take out a Covenant convoy moving through that area. They were dropped off on a mountain in the middle of the park, which was marked as a memorial area. The platoon had several snipers, which immediately hunkered down and starting taking out the Covenant. Meanwhile, Kyle and the rest of the platoon headed for the ground and attacked the Covenant from the stream that circled the mountain. The ambush worked great and the convoy was destroyed. Too bad that the convoy had extra protection. A division of Covenant, two Ghost bikes and a Banshee ambushed the platoon as they awaited pick up. They were able to find a group of boulders and rocks at the bottom of a large hill and hide out in there from the Banshee. The Covenant moved in and circled around them, firing at their position. Over half of the platoon was killed. Kyle was still a private then. He grabbed two guys he knew and together, they threw all the frag grenades they had, which wiped out lots of the clustered Covenant. They had one Jack Hammer round left, so Kyle took control of that. Several marines created a diversion by firing at the far left flank of the Covenant, taking them all out. The Ghost bikes clustered together and returned fire. The moment the bikes nudged, Kyle fired. The rocket round struck the lead Ghost, destroying it, but the bulk of the blast of the rocket and Ghost struck the other Ghost, disabling it and knocking out it's pilot. The remaining marines charged out of their hiding place and took out the rest of the Covenant. They used various diversion and maneuvering tactics to evade the Banshee. It was taken out by the legendary Master Chief, the only surviving Spartan II. He moved in and took out the remaining Covenant and stayed with them until a Pelican arrived. He didn't join them back to the Outpost though. That was the last and only time Kyle saw him. Later on, while they were finishing off the last of the Covenant on Earth, he had heard he had died, taking out the Covenant cruiser that was orbiting the planet. Before his current mission he was on, Kyle had fought in four other major battles. The humans were slowly starting to fight back against the Covenant and were regaining their earned territory. Hamen IV was a planet in a solar system that was pretty much just beside the Milky Way. They had over half of this one taken over, and several other solar systems nearby were starting to be invaded by them. Kyle had heard that the Covenant were having problems with the Flood, which was good. The first mission the Spartan IIIs had was to land on the Alpha Halo which was being moved into the Milky Way by the Covenant, and let loose the Flood. The plan worked perfectly. They got out of there and the Flood engaged the Covenant on Halo, wiping them out and taking over several of their vessels. Luckily for the humans, the Flood took their three captured Covenant vessels and left. A small group of UNSC destroyers and frigates moved in and destroyed Halo. So, the humans were now just trying to get back their territory and trying to stay alive. The Spartan IIIs were doing good jobs in various ground missions. They pretty much took back the Milky Way. They killed Covenant bases and outposts on planets, and killed the crew of a Covenant ship. After that, they would plant nukes all over the ship, and detonate them when in the weapons locker of a UNSC ship heading in the other direction. Kyle was now on Hamen IV, helping the UNSC in conquering this once human controlled island. Wish it was a little easier he though.
            Kyle's eyes snapped open and he sat up slightly. Charlie was tapping him on the shoulder.
            "Come on, Lieutenant wants us" he said, and then crawled off. Kyle nodded, rubbing his eyes, and then crawled after him. Lieutenant Jones had called all of his Corporals to him. They sat in a circle, keeping their heads down from the plasma flying over them. Five Corporals, two Lieutenants and the Master Chief. Lieutenant Jones nodded at them all.
            "Okay, these assholes are kicking out butts, so we need a plan. Here's what we and the Master Chief have been able to think out. The Covenant have positioned those turrets and Ghosts on the hills in front of us in a diamond shape. The one in front of us, one behind it and two to the left and right. So, we figure that if we were able to take out the one in front of us and the one off to the right, a Pelican would be able to land successfully on the beach and drop off some armor. The other two firing groups couldn't hit it, because it would be moving to fast, that and they are pretty far away. Problem we have is that those two firing groups are pinning us down and preventing that armor. So we gotta take it out. Any ideas?" the Lieutenant asked, pointing toward the designated targets. Kyle could see the Corporals think for a moment. He did too. He had spent too much time looking back on his and Earth's past. Corporal Cunningham spoke first.
            "There's no way in hell that one of our guys could run forward away from this protection area and throw a grenade, he would be slaughtered the moment he stands" he pointed out. Everyone nodded to that. Kyle suddenly thought of something.
            "What if he was somewhat below the firing squad?" he suggested. They all looked at him, confused.
            "Elaborate Nighthook" said Lieutenant Carlson. Kyle looked around him.
            "Well, what if we got a group of guys in between the dunes. We could probably send a group of either marines, or the Spartans around this dune, on the beach and they could hide out in where the two dunes meet you know? They would position themselves so that they were facing that dune, and their backs would be to us; expect they would be below them. It's kinda hard to explain, and that's the best I can explain it" he said, motioning with hands as he spoke. Everyone stopped to think for a second. They occasionally looked up at each other. The Master Chief stirred.
            "The Corporal has a good idea. Myself and my Spartans could positions ourselves in the middle of those dunes. You would be on the beach still, but looking up at the dunes" he said, nodding at the Corporal. Lieutenant Jones nodded.
            "Geez, why didn't we think of that before, that's so easy" he said. The Master Chief shook his head.
            "These dunes are very big Lieutenant. It would take us a few hours to walk around the entire down, and then quietly sneak in between them. The sand makes fast mobility virtually impossible" he pointed out. Lieutenant Jones nodded.
            "Yes, of course. All right, here's what I propose. The Spartans begin moving around the dunes and when they are in positions to start advancing in between them, the marines will provide some continuous cover fire, which will keep the Covenant glued on us. The Spartans can then climb the dune, and plant their grenades. We will do the same for the second firing squad. That sound good?" he said, looking around at everyone. They all nodded and grinned. Jones nodded, and then crouched up.
            "All right Chief. Wait for that supply shipment, re-stock on some arms, and then proceed" he said. The Master Chief nodded, then crawled towards his Spartans, tell them the plan. Kyle headed back to original cover place with Cunningham. Charlie nodded at him.
            "Good thinking there Kyle. Easy idea, wonder why I didn't think of it" he said, smiling as he shot at the Covenant with his pistol. Kyle shrugged.
            "Nothing else we can do. Unless you want to stand up and charge forward, throw a grenade, then run your ass back here" he said. Charlie shook his head, smirking, then concentrated on his shot. Kyle crouched up as well, firing his assault rifle at a Grunt that ran out to far. It fell over backwards, dead. He was about to fire again, when he heard the sound of engines. He looked up into the sky and realized what the sound was. A Pelican dropship was circling above them. The turrets turned to fire at it, but immediately, the marines opened fire to create a diversion and the turrets shot back at them. The passenger ramp opened, and a large crate could be seen being lowered. Suddenly, it fell off the ramp and descended toward them. A parachute enveloped from the top of the crate, which slowed it down. Kyle crawled away from his cover spot and helped guide it to the ground, with the help of several other marines. It landed just behind the old Covenant radio camp which they were using. Kyle broke the latches around it and pushed open the door. He heard a huge cheer from behind him. They pulled out huge boxes carrying MA5B assault rifles, Pistols, Sniper Rifles, Jack Hammers and tons of ammo for each of those guns. Packages containing frag and plasma grenades. The rest of the boxes had medical kits and surgeon packs. The Lieutenant had several marines gather up some of them, and told them to give them to the field medics on the beach. They still had some medical kits and one surgeon pack. Kyle stood back as the marines gathered what they needed. This was a lot of supplies, but was well needed. He merely grabbed some grenades and a little bit of ammo. Nighthook looked up and saw the Pelican dodge around, avoiding several plasma shots, and then accelerating back into space. Kyle hoped they got back okay.  He returned to his spot near Corporal Cunningham and continued to try to peck off the Covenant. He turned to see the Lieutenant talking to the Master Chief.
            "You guys take all of the Jack Hammers and as many grenades as you need. Those turrets won't go down easy. Good luck Master Chief" the Lieutenant was saying. Jones and Carlson both saluted and the Master Chief returned it. He turned to his team, and then they together ran down towards the beach and began the long trek all the way around the dune. Kyle turned back to look at the firing squad in front of him and grinned.
            "So long fuckers" he said.........TO BE CONTINUED.......





bungie.org