halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


D-Day: The Beach
Posted By: Shadow Spartan<silent_shadow13@hotmail.com>
Date: 27 January 2003, 5:17 pm


Read/Post Comments

The two Pelican dropships descended through the atmosphere of Planet Hamen IV. The thrusters came to life and blew out streams of hydrogen gas that propelled the dropships through the O-Zone layer and into the clouds of the eden planet. In the passenger hold of the lead dropship, Private Kyle Nighthook slapped a clip of MA5B ammunition in his assault rifle. Cycling the bolt back and cocking the clip into position, he leaned back onto the cold, hard wall of the hold and closed his eyes for a few seconds. He was of average height and good build. Nighthook had no specialty in any weapon. He could use any one with amazing accuracy and precision. Some think he should be one of them Spartans, but he wasn't. He was a marine, and happy to be one. He opened his eyes and turned to look at Lieutenant David Jones, who was standing and looking at his squad.
      "We are going in with the second wave gentlemen. The first wave is already down there, and taking some major casualties. They are pinned down and need assistance. You smash the entire, you kill anything that doesn't speak English you get me?" he yelled over the sound of the engines. The entire squad nodded and said in unison.
      "Sir, yes sir!" The Lieutenant nodded, then sat down. Over the intercom radios positioned around the hold, the pilot's voice came in.
      "All right you guys, LZ coming up. Opening the ramp. Good luck" he said. Nighthook shifted in his seat and looked toward the end. The ramp that they would run out of was opening, revealing the endless ocean. The First Wave was pinned down on an island which had originally been there's, but the Covenant took it over. Suddenly, the view shifted to show their destination. The beach was a mess. The First wave had come down in two dropships, but only one returned. The other lay in pieces all over the beach. The Warthogs that had been dropped off as well were destroyed. The remaining marines were taking cover behind the wreckage and the boulders on the beach, firing blind shots up at the Covenant. The pilot maneauvered the dropship and showed them the Covenant briefly. They had a really good position. The hill sloped up into a hill, and the Covenant were on top of that hill. Four Shades evenly spaced out, protected by small shield barriers pelted the marines that tried to move up. A Wraith was at the very back of the camp, firing blind plasma concussion rounds at the beach. Two Hunters shifted around, firing their fuel rod canons. And at least four divisions of Grunts, Jackals and Elites ran around the boulders, firing at the marines. Nighthook shook his head. The dropship slowly began to descend onto the beach. Sand was blown out of the way as the thrusters pushed out hard to make the dropship hover there. The Lieutenant stood and jumped out first. Everyone else stood and ran, trying to avoid the plasma shots that were flying at them. Nighthook had to jump out to avoid being hit from a full spread of plasma needles. They hit the marine behind him and exploded. Nighthook landed hard on the sand. He painfully got up and sprinted up the beach, two other marines behind him. He jumped over the dead body of a marine and crouched behind two tires that were stuck in the sand. He turned to watch the dropship. It accerelated into the air and disappeared. The other dropship was about to follow when a plasma round from the Wraith struck it right on top. Two rounds from the Hunters and the ship blew up in two. The first half descended into the water, while the other half landed heavily on the beach. Nighthook felt plasma rounds hitting the sand and wreckage all around him. He gritted his teeth and ran up to a better cover position. He found two marines behind a ashened warthog and ran to them. They both nodded at him and continued to fire at several Jackals protecting a wounded Elite. Nighthook threw a grenade at them, then fired at a cluster of Grunts sneaking up on there position. They all dropped dead. He patted one of the marines on the shoulder and pointed to two Jackals teaming up on marines who were out of ammo. Nighthook and the marine fired, killing them both. Kyle then ran toward them, keeping himself low so he wouldn't be hit by the Covenant or his own people. He crouched near them.
      "You boys all right?" he asked, firing at two Grunts hoping to get some action. One of the nodded.
      "Yeah, thanks. We got no more ammunition though" he said. Kyle finished his clip and reloaded. As he did, he looked toward the destroyed Pelican and saw several marines salvaging ammo and weapons. He pointed to them.
      "They got some. Salvage some from the wreckage" he said, then turned around and fired again at another Grunt. The three marines stood and ran toward the ship. Nighthook took a break and looked around. The marines were all scattered across the beach, using anything for cover to protect themselves. What Nighthook needed was a working Warthog. He found that he was really good when arming the 30mm chain gun. He crouched up, looking around and saw what he was looking for. One of the Warthog's had obviously been blown apart, and the chain gun was still attached to a broken off piece. It was sitting behind a boulder, unused. Nighthook stood again, firing off rounds to cover himself as he ran toward it. If he could get that gun up and firing, he could take out of the turrets and maybe even one of the Hunters. A fuel rod shot struck the ground behind him, propelling him through the air. A group of marines screamed as the rod blast hit them and killed them. Nighthook hit the sand and crawled to the gun. Grinning, he righted it and slowly moved it out into the open slightly. Arming it and making sure the rows of ammunition were still in, he targeted one of the turrets and fired. The barrel turned and let loose dozens of bullets per second. The shields around the turret shattered and the turret itself flipped over. The chain gun was quite effective. Nighthook pivoted the gun and shot two Elites and a Jackals running toward him. Killing them, he targeted the second turret. The shields around it went down. He yelled at a marine running up the hill.
      "Grenade!!" he yelled. The marine nodded, then unpinned a frag. It landed behind the turret and exploded. The Shade flipped over and over in the air, it's operator way ahead of it. It landed heavily on the beach, destroyed. Nighthook got off the chain gun, then pushed it into a better position. He re-armed it, then grinned evilly as he pressed the firing buttons.........TO BE CONTINUED.........





bungie.org