halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


The Hells of War Part 3
Posted By: Reiyou
Date: 28 June 2002, 7:23 pm


Read/Post Comments

I feel like I'm dragging this on.

      Within a few short minutes a lot of people were down in our camp. You could say it was a temporary melting pot of the species as the mixed and mingled and did what was necessary. I watched a grunt try to figure out a soda dispenser and kept on pushing ALL of the buttons.
      "Hey! Look I understand they are fun but we do like our drinks cold." I said casually. The machine chirped loudly and it ran off screaming.
      "All right corporal, I see that you do know basic wound care." The medic took one last look at the two wounds I had acquired from the flood.
      "Okay, just make sure you don't do anything to strenuous with that leg or it might pop, So now jumping down from heights of 4 meters or more, got it?" he asked me as he packed up his supplies and put them on a pop up table.
      I dropped my laser rifle off at the storage crates and got a new AR. I checked the magazine and it was fine, locked, and loaded. I saw Stroggos talking to an elite in gold and walked up, curious.
      "Look Stroggos, I understand we are fighting the flood here but these, these are the forerunner and if we let them grow up, Omega could be-
      "I know Darkk_n, but if we crush the flood now, we would have a chance of maybe finding out a way to waste the Pfhor Empire." He replied in a tired voice.
      "Stroggos, these humans have nothing more than sacred weapons. How could they splatter the Pfhor when our weapons can not." He replied with an almost stone voice.
      "Uh... Excuse me kids but what exactly are the Phfor?" I asked cautiously. Expecting to have my guts all over the floor, the gold elite turned towards me and did not splatter me as expected.
      "The Phfor are an enslaving race. We asked them to join our forces and they said no. We got pissed off and decided to glass some worlds of theirs. They came and took out 2 of the three covenant home worlds." He explained to me.
      "We then made a pact with them that we did not decide to kill each other off and went and found you humans. We know what your future is human. You will find the flood and decide to use it against us and then seeing, the results of your screwing up and construct the Halo device. Activate it and boom, everyone's sent back a few steps in the evolutionary path, along with the world's all have their original resources replaced. We know of this because we found a very old civilization and it had our current language." He finished saying that and I was listening intently.
      "You know, I have never had a history lesson summed up that fast." I said and looked around.
      "Alright people, lets send our first team in there. This team will be designated Alpha." A Sergeant was standing on a crate with a clip board in hand.
      "Any volunteers for flood killing?" he shouted "Oh and don't forget to raise your hand!" he said. A few hands of various races went up.
      "Alright then please step forward and say your name." I hadn't expected for Stroggos and Darkk_n to raise their hands and trooped up.I jogged up and volunteered also. After Alpha team was established we went through the tunnel. Somebody was smart and unpacked four shades. Two were at the entrance and two at the tunnel entrance. Elites were manning them and they were presumably accurate. We went back in and found another team hauling back bodies for examination. We went to the door we had previously and we found our Spartan 3s guarding the door.
      "Uh sir, why are you here?" one of them asked me.
      "We're here to clean out flood and to explore, Soldier." I replied and flashed him my ID card. The other Spartan trooped up and aimed his laser cannon at the door.
      "Pop it open." He said. The first Spartan tapped in the code I did and the door opened. Two or three workers were in the room and were instantly burned to ashes as the pin-point accuracy of the cannons allowed him to do that. I came out with the flashlight on and crouched and looked up. A worker went through a flying leap at me. I flashed the flashlight at the worker and it stopped running to attack me.
      "Anyone want the honors of the first flood?" I asked. A marine walked up pulled out a machete and tore the thing to pieces.
      "You know, I didn't want to kill it that way!" I looked at the marine and he was Jansen.
      "Sorry sir, thought I'd take the chance and slice and dice." He asked with a sheepish smile on his face.
      "Stroggos, is there anyway we can hook up with shields?" I asked him, surveying the room. There seemed to be a lot of dead jackals and other assorted covenant.
      "If you don't mind tearing the arm off..." he said, quite disgusted.
      "Stroggos, he has a point, those shield will protect us from the Flood."Stroggos seemed a little more accepting of the act. We then proceeded to tear the arm off, take off the shield and put it on our own arm. The shields were tight but that wouldn't be too much of a problem. We then moved on to the door on the left side.
      "Sir, movement on the other side." One of the marines reported. I pulled the shotgun out and braced it against the shield. I signaled the marine to open the door. It opened...and a single Elite came out. He then collapses in front of us and was covered in holes. I moved up and crouched, hiding me behind the shield.
      "You know sir, you can fit into a lot of small spaces with that 240 pounds of meat you have." A marine quipped up.
      "Marine, I could show you what else I can do to your face if you don't shut up." I retorted and that got a few snickers from our motley assorted team.
      "Hey this is Alpha team. There has been no flood resistance. We did however find an elite with a good deal of himself missing." reported
      "Observation noted Alpha team, continue with mission, on a side note there has been a lot more hell up here. Find some sort of command flood. That would save us a lot more trouble." The other side said. I had to go and say that there was no flood for we were surrounded by a lot.
      "Security Wheel people keep shields out and do not die out here. We should all go home if things go right!" The room bursted in all sorts weapons. In a few short minutes we were devastated. We lost about a fourth of our men and they kept coming. I was still behind my shield when a rocket came out of nowhere and the entire flood force was gone. A figure in black came up with the rocket launcher in hand. He was the Elite we had pulled out of the place.
      "Nice wheel" he said. His voice was raspy and he did not look right."I have been watching you Reiyou." He went on. The entire unit of Alpha team was in shock. He knew my name.
      "W...Who are you? A...And how have you been down here all this time?" I sputtered.
      "You could say I'm a flood researcher. And Stroggos, you are right about human weapons are more effective than the Covenant." Stroggos was now in a state of mental shock.
      "Have you been spying on us?" he asked carefully.
      "In a way, I know how the flood works and therefore I can see what they see. The holes you see in me are implants to a computer interface." We were even more shocked. No one, not even the covenant could figure out a way to interface some one directly into a computer.
      "H...H...How then?" Jansen sputtered.
      "I for one thing have complete access to every forerunner installation in this side of the galaxy," he let the realization sink in to us "I am a forerunner and you people blew up the Halo Installation, I will hate to say it but you're all going to die." He pulled out a device from one of his pockets. I instantly reacted, I dropped the shotgun pulled out my pistol and in one smooth motion shot the device out of his hand and brought it up to his face.
      "I for one thing have a will to live, Stroggos would you kindly take his Rocket launcher and the device he tried to use?" Stroggos was relieved. He trooped up and took the Rocket launcher and handed it to Jansen, He always liked Rocket Launchers so it was his. Stroggos then walked to where the device is and to his horror, another forerunner came up and smashed him so hard in the face I doubted if he would live. A marine fired his AR at the Second forerunner and hit dead home. The forerunner fell backwards and black blood was splattered everywhere. I retook control of the situation and walked up to the device, I took it and looked at the buttons. It read Attack, defend, gather, mutate, stand down, or other.
      "What the Hell? What is this Forerunner?" I asked him with a growl with forerunner.
      "A device for controlling the Flood's actions." He replied if I was a stupid idiot.
      "Thanks, I keep this handy." I slipped it in my pocket. "Jansen, please make sure that Stroggos is in one piece.
      "Stroggos is out cold sir, And that hit broke his left mandible and I'll say that he'll talk with a lisp for the next few weeks. Drakk_n finally piped up and asked for the radio. I handed it to him and he called base and reported that the flood was no threat anymore. What was really bad was that there was no response.
      "That's bad. Okay team lets mount up and head on out. Oh and you, Forerunner, you're coming. Security wheel with him in the middle, I'll take point. I holstered the pistol picked up the shotgun and we returned to the base. The place was quiet like it was a ghost town. There wasn't any blood or signs of battle just no one was there.
      "Okay...Search for survivors. I'll guard him." I pointed to the forerunner.
      "I know what happened to your comrades, good Reiyou," he said quietly.
      "Yeah and what happened. Its not like anyone will just give up to the flood.Or do you have mental control as well, oh great one." I said sarcastically.
      "The defenses were never activated and somebody stumbled on to them. I guess it really does work, the Disintegrator." He finished.
      "And what does this do?" I asked him. I took off the shield and threw it onto a crate of AR clips.
      "Its quite simple really, a single spotter come into a room undetected and flies to the top. After this it gives target data of all organic targets. Then 4 small plates pop up out of the floor and fire a single missile. Inside of these missiles are small drones that carry an anti-matter rifle in them. The result you could say is quite satisfying." He finished. I so wanted to end his life. Jansen I guessed sensed this and chilled me very quickly.
      "Sir, Chill out before I will make you." He growled at me.





bungie.org