halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Halo: And its unsung heroes.
Posted By: Pforboy124<Pforboy124@aol.com>
Date: 25 December 2002, 11:11 pm


Read/Post Comments

      The dead Covenant and UNSC Marines scattered throughout the riverbed made it hard to run. Corporal Jennings was panicking, he fumbled with his MA-5B, and the empty clip flew from his gun. Just as he finished getting the fresh one in, an elite reared its ugly face at him. He let loose with his assault rifle, the bullets bouncing harmlessly from its shield. Now he was sure he was dead, " Please Lord, let my death not be in vain-" the plasma seared his flesh, he cried out in agony. He was dead by the time the Warthog had flatten his once fearsome foe into a pancake.
Out from the driver seat stepped the Master Chief, the most skilled and deadly warrior in the universe. He was bred for combat, built for war, he was the master of any weapon, the pilot of any vehicle, and feared no one. His featureless façade gazed at the dead marine. If he had emotions he might feel sadness, even anger. All that was going through his head was, "An eye for an eye." With this he readied his assault rifle, and said," Let the games begin!"
Back at the HQ everything was quickly turning into a nightmare. This battle was becoming yet another Hell for the soldiers. The Covenant poured from the hilltops, plasma streaked across the dark sky. The men where tired and weary, but determined to not give satisfaction to the enemy. They readied their massive Scorpion tanks for the ambush. Except for the casualties this plan was working. "Surprising, those Covenant bastards aren't fighting with the strength they usually do." commented the Tactical Engineer. The Master Chief nodded. This was all too easy. That was the irony of this war. Even for the many brave soldiers that were dying in front of his eyes, this battle was too easy. He couldn't shake the feeling from his head.
Charlie team radioed in, "Look sharp, Covenant drop ship!" That was it, they were trying to flank them, and this fighting was just a distraction. With all his speed the Master Chief bounded up the hillside. His two-ton Mljinor armor barely making a noise. Poised, rifle ready he sighted the nearest enemy. As his tracers flew through the air, he could hear over the reverberating sound of the gun, the bullets meeting their mark. One more down, only a couple billion to go. He can't remember how long he has been fighting in this insane war, but all he can remember is that it seems like he has killed just that many. They just keep coming! Two more Covenant succumbed to his withering hail of fire, the rest scattered, not knowing where to shoot. The whole hillside suddenly became dark. The Master Chief looked up, there was a covenant battle cruiser, eclipsing the sun.
<Uh...chief?> Cortana said through their link.
<What is it?>
<Now would be a very good time to run!>
The Master Chief was not prone to feeling emotion, but fear began to bubble in his stomach. Keeping his cool, he quickly ran back towards the base.
"Foe-Hammer" he shouted into his HUD, "Do you see what I see?"
"Yeah.... I do.... but.... the only time a battle cruiser has been so close to a planet was..."
"Yeah I know, right before it glassed Reach. Listen, come to my point and stuff your drop-ship full of as many marines as you can possibly fit."
"Will do Chief."
The Master Chief looked back to the drop-ship and many smaller ships were flying in from the planet into the cruiser.
      "Well," He thought optimistically, "At least they can't glass it with troops..."
      "Chief!" Foe-Hammer shouted into his HUD, "We're not going to make it!"
The Master Chief looked back towards the cruiser, just in time to see Foe-Hammer blown to pieces by a large blast.
A Drop-ship hovered overhead. It came down about level with him.
A face popped up in his display HUD.
"Chief get in!"
The hatches on the side opened, and the chief jumped in. Marines were latched into the seat on all sides.
"What's going on." He said.
"We're going to pilot this drop-ship into the cruiser and stop them from glassing the planet."
The Master Chief stood up and strolled towards the cockpit.
Three marines were standing, one trying to pilot desperately, one trying out all of the controls, and one panicking. The Master Chief pulled Cortana out and put her into the ships controls.
      <One Minute...Let me interface with the controls...> The ship made a sharp upwards movement.
      <Ok, now just let me send a message to the covenant so there is no suspicion.... and we're clear! >
The Master Chief looked at the other men who were saluting him.
"At ease marines....Who are you?"
"I am operative first lieutenant SEM-AJ sir!" Said the first one.
"And I am second lieutenant T-TAM sir!" Said the second one.
"Well," Said the Master Chief, looking out of the window, "It appears we are about to be In a large fight..."
      Peering through the cockpit of the Pelican the Chief asked,"Cortana, is the docking bay shield down?"
      <Evasive maneuvers!> The Pelican swerved and swayed. Due to the sharp banking turning the drop ship was making most of the supplies and marines when flying about.
      <Here we go, this door should be open...> The drop ship coasted to a stop inside the massive launch bay. All was silent, too silent. The Chief remembered all too well the times so far that things appeared safe.
      They weren't,"Everybody out!", the marines unloaded. Just as the Pelican was tunrning to leave an attack squad of Elites and Grunts poured into the bay. The drop ship's 30mm mini-guns ripped them to ribbons.
      "Damnit that was close," called T-TAM.
      "Yeah, atleast it wasn't hunters," shouted another marine.
      "You all scared of Hunters?" SE-MAJ asked, all he got in return were pissed off glances.
      "Damn cocky bastard."
      "I'm not cocky, its just I know I can handle Hunters, thats all."





bungie.org