halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Aftermath (pn) Part 1
Posted By: PalaNIN<palanin_@hotmail.com>
Date: 29 January 2003, 8:06 am


Read/Post Comments

THE ROYAL COVENANT BATTLESHIP: BRIDGE
The Overlord looked at the transmission from the SpyScreen on the brig. As he saw Halo falling apart, he slammed his chrome-coloured fist on the arm of his chair and growled under his breath.
      "I am the Overlord, descendant of the Royal Elites! That petty human shall die for his efforts! He shall find out that no one interferes with the Covenant!" he roared. "Captain!"
      Captain Erintho was unusually large for a Jackal, standing at 6_ feet; he was stronger than some of the Elite troops. He carried with him a platinum shield, with a spike in the centre of it to impale enemies. He spent almost all his life destroying human bases far off from the Covenant homeworld, and training younger Jackals. He stepped over to the Overlord.
      "Yes, my liege?" he answered.
      "Gather a hundred of your finest troops and three hundred Grunts as well. Put them on a dropship fleet and send them to Arcon IV. I want you to continue building defences on the military base."

ECHO 419
"Are there any survivors?" asked the Master Chief.
      "Scanning...we're all that's left," replied Cortana. "We did what we had to do, for Earth. An entire Covenant armada destroyed, and The Flood...it's over, this is the end."
      "No, I feel it's only the beginning. It can't end with this," countered the Master Chief. "Someone out there is pissed off, and we're going to have to pay the consequences for what we've done today."
      "Maybe you're right, but anyway, lets head back to Earth."
      The Master Chief turned on the hyperdrive and headed home, all the while unwary of the dangers that were to happen.

THE ROYAL COVENANT BATTLESHIP: JACKAL ADMINISTRATION AND SPY NETWORK
Captain Erintho came back from the Troop Centre. His assistants had gathered up the troops, and the dropships were going to pick them up in two hours. He sat down at his personal Control Centre, where half a dozen glowing monitors were giving him information from every area that he was in control of. Assassination reports, ammunition supplies, and most importantly, intelligence.
      He leaned over to the Intelligence monitor, which showed a large map of where Halo used to be and the surrounding areas. When he saw a small flash from the corner of the screen, a wide grin had formed upon his face. That grin turned into a chuckle, and then a laugh. He was laughing with excitement, but also anticipation. The Overlord was right to use Genesis. The tracker that he had deployed on Echo 419 had been worth it.

ECHO 419
"Entering Milky Way galaxy now, we're almost home," the soothing words from Cortana relaxed the Master Chief's mind. He hadn't been home for twenty-four years. He would finally be able to see his parents, and his two sisters. He would be able to roll around on the grass without being shot at by an alien race, and he wouldn't need to look over his shoulder to see if The Flood was there.
      "How long till we get on Earth?" he asked. He was still in a dreamy mood, Cortana thought.
      "We'll have to dock in at Theta, a space station orbiting Earth. While we've been away, they've created a sort of teleporter so it's easier to get to and from space. We'll reach Theta in two hours; the engines have been overheated, I'm waiting for them to cool down. Meanwhile we'll drift towards Earth on the momentum we got from the hyperdrive."
      "Good."

THE ROYAL COVENANT BATTLESHIP: BRIDGE
Erintho ran to the bridge as quickly as possible, all the while still laughing at the prospect of genocide.
      As he reached the bridge, he gathered his composure and slowed down to a quick walk.
      "My liege, I have some very good news for you."
      The Overlord hadn't heard the words 'very good' for some time. He turned his seat around to face the Captain. "Really? Continue."
      "I have discovered the location of the human homeworld."
      The Overlord raised an eyebrow. "Tell the supervisor on Arcon IV to put the Genesis on standby, it's time for the human to feel the true wrath of The Covenant!"
      "Yessir," replied Erintho. He walked smartly through the dimly lit corridors into External Control. External Control was the gateway to all the military bases outside the Covenant star system. It was a huge room, almost as large as the hangar bays. Dozens of Elites monitored glowing screens.
      "You!" the Captain pointed to a young Elite monitoring the Alpha-Gamma galaxies. "Contact administration at Arcon IV and put the Genesis on standby."
      "Right away, Captain."

ARCON IV COVENANT MILITARY BASE: GENESIS MONITORING ROOM
      The pair of Jackals, Major Perihl and Major Ynnr, stood from the fourth floor window, looking at the monolith that was Genesis. A 130-metre tall plasma-powered rocket sat encased inside a large concrete casing. They were proud of their invention, the first weapon to destroy an entire planet without additional support. They simply stood from the window, gazing longingly.
      "Major Perihl, a call from The Royal Battleship is ready for you on Deck Seven," sounded the loudspeaker from the corner of the ceiling.
      "Wonder what that could be?" asked Ynnr.
      "Probably some update on the destruction on Halo," replied Perihl. And with that he turned on his heel, and headed to the gravity lift up to Deck Seven.

ARCON IV COVENANT MILITARY BASE: DECK SEVEN: ADMINISTRATION
      "There was a call for me?" Perihl asked the Jackal behind the desk.
      "Yes Major. It's an audiovisual call. One moment please."
      Perihl was surprised. Hardly anyone used the audiovisual method unless it was urgent, or important. The Major froze. He knew what the call was about.
      "Major Perihl?" asked the caller. The strong, deep voice immediately came back to him.
      "Captain Erintho, it is an honour to meet you again."
      "I have some important news. I want you to activate the Genesis. It is time for the Humans to pay for what they've done."





bungie.org