halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Earth: A Halo Tale: Part 1, Chapters 3 & 4
Posted By: Nike<jimmyneedles09@aol.com>
Date: 30 January 2003, 9:58 pm


Read/Post Comments

A/N: Enjoy Part 2!


Chapter 3

1049 Hours November 17, 2554 [Military Calendar]/
Longsword interceptor 34, in orbit over Earth


About 19 minutes later, the Master Chief spotted the UNSC destroyer, Blackened Heart.

The destroyer moved at a steady pace towards the Longsword. The UNSC flag had been painted on the sides of the Blackened Heart. The Chief caught sight of a shimmer on her surface; energy shields.

"Looks like the UNSC has made some break-throughs during our time in space," John said. "Cortana, can you upload any data on anything new to my armor?"
"I can't, Chief. The data is heavily encrypted; it must be a new security system," she replied.

The voice of an older man, probably in his mid-60s, crackled over the COM system.

"Okay, Cortana. The docking bay is open. Proceed to Docking Bay #2, please," 4-star Admiral Stanforth said.
"We read you, Admiral Stanforth. Longsword 34 on approach vector," Cortana replied.

The Longsword sped faster toward the docking bay of the Blackened Heart. Tiny lights flickered on and off of the ship's hull. The fighter touched down into the docking bay, where the admiral greeted them, along with 2 members of the UNSC brass. The Master Chief saw four other familiar people as well.

The Chief pulled Cortana out of the Longsword's computer and inserted her into his helmet. Keyes and the Chief walked down the ramp of the Longsword. The docking bay doors closed and internal lights flickered on.

"Welcome back, Captain Keyes," Admiral Stanforth said.

Keyes and John snapped to attention and saluted. The admiral returned it.

"At ease," he replied.

"Hey, John!!" Sam, Fred, and Kelly ran over to greet their commander and friend. They saluted him, and John returned it.
"Hey, guys. How's it going?" the Master Chief asked.
"Good, good. How's life then the last two years?" Sam asked.
John chuckled. "Nothing special if you count being stuck in a cryo-tube for two years fun."
"It's good to see you again, 117," Lieutenant Mendez asserted.
"You too, sir." He saluted his former instructor. "What of Dr. Halsey?"
"It's rather unfortunate, 117, but the doctor died on Reach," Mendez replied.
"I see. Very well then." He shook his head.

Admiral Stanforth faced the Chief. "Well, Master Chief, let's go inside, shall we? We need any information that Cortana has collected and devise a strategy to strike the Covenant. The ONI tech boys have developed new armor for you, and the UNSC Weapons Facility has some new toys for your testing. Everyone is to come to my Ready Room for the briefing and other necessary information."

John, Captain Keyes, Sam, Fred, Kelly, Lieutenant Mendez, the two UNSC brass members, and Admiral Stanforth walked over to the far side of the docking bay and they went through the sliding glass doors.


When they reached the bridge of the Blackened Heart, the group immediately walked left and through another sliding door.

The conference room had a podium at one end, and directly in front of the podium was a conference table that could seat 20 people, 10 on each side. To the podium's left was a small stoop, and the entrance where the Master Chief was standing in now.

"Please take a seat," one of the UNSC brass members said. "Master Chief, please insert Cortana into that slot on the left side of the podium, if you will."

John nodded. He took the data chip from his helmet and he inserted Cortana into the terminal. He then went to take a seat between Captain Keyes and Admiral Stanforth. Sam, Fred, and Kelly sat directly across from the Chief. The other brass member stood to the right of the podium.

The first brass member, 1-Star General Hiyaka Tuga, grasped the edges of the podium.

Hiyaka Tuga was clearly Japanese, judging from his name. He had been promoted to 3-star general two years back when Halo was destroyed. He was relieved when he had been promoted to general because he was afraid of dying at the hands of aliens. He would rather die of old age. He had black frizzy hair due to his buzz cut, he was neither tall nor short, and was a black belt in the school of Drunken Kung-Fu.

General Preston Cole stood to the right of the podium.

"Well, gentlemen and lady, let's get started shall we?" General Tuga said.

Chapter 4

1251 Hours November 17, 2554 [Military Calendar]/
Blackened Heart Conference Room, in orbit over Earth


2 hours and 2 minutes later, the briefing was over.

Cortana had told Generals Cole and Tuga about their journey to, on, and departure from Halo, she talked about the Flood and the Forerunners, and (possibly) how humanity started.

When everyone had filed out of the conference room, Admiral Stanforth and Captain Keyes were left alone.

"Keyes, I have something to discuss with you. Sit, please," Stanforth asserted.
"Yes, sir? What is it?" the captain inquired.
"Do you remember the mission about the Covenant ship?"
"I do. Is what you wanted to talk to me about?"
Keyes had nearly read Stanforth's mind. "Yes, and that mission is still incomplete. But before we can send you and you're new crew out, we'll need to retrain and reteach you."
"What?" Keyes said.
"Yes, I know it may sound crazy, but we don't know if the Infection forms did anything to your brain. When you feel like you're up to it, go to the medical station either on board or at UNSC HQ. Then we'll do the training process. Do you understand?" the admiral said.
"I understand, Admiral," Keyes replied. He stood, saluted the admiral, and before he was about to leave, Admiral Stanforth stopped him. "But there is one more thing I have to give you."
"What's that, Admiral?"
Admiral Stanforth pulled out a small, wooden box. Captain Keyes opened the small box and he was speechless: a single gold star; the rank of Rear Admiral.
"Consider it official." Admiral Stanforth took the gold star out of the box. Captain Keyes snapped to attention, and Stanforth pinned the gold star to Keyes' front uniform pocket.

Both admirals saluted each other, and Stanforth stuck his hand out and they shook.

Admiral Keyes and Admiral Stanforth walked back to the bridge.

"Lieutenant Rochester, come about to course three-point-one-two and head for Earth," Admiral Stanforth asserted.
"Aye, sir," Lieutenant Rochester replied.
His fingers danced across the keypad as he typed in the course.
"Course plotted, sir."
"Good. Ensign Powell, 100% percent to the engines. Get us down to Earth as fast as possible."
"Engine level at 95% and climbing, sir." He paused. "Engine at 100% percent, sir. Descending toward Earth."

The Blackened Heart turned 180 degrees and descended into Earth's atmosphere.

TO BE CONTINUED

Earth: A Halo Tale: Part 3 is on the way, guys. Stay tuned.





bungie.org