halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Earth: A Halo Tale: Part 1, Chapters 1 & 2
Posted By: Nike<jimmyneedles09@aol.com>
Date: 29 January 2003, 12:44 am


Read/Post Comments

A/N: This story has been on my computer a good long while and I've finally made the decision to submit it to HBO. . .changed, that is. I read over the full story and it was pretty cheesy. So what I'm typing is not the original thing (like anybody cares).
Note that in my story Keyes is alive. How he is alive is up to your imagination. Here goes.


Chapter 1

0800 Hours November 15, 2554 [Military Calendar]/
Longsword interceptor 34, Unknown Star System


It has been two years since the destruction of the Halo. Cortana, the Master Chief, and Captain Keyes have been adrift in space, not knowing where they were.

Captain Keyes stood on the bridge of the Longsword in "parade rest", feet spread slightly apart and hands clamped behind his back, gripping his grandfather's pipe. He stared out into the blackness of outer space.

Are we the only humans left? Keyes thought. He could not let that thought disturb him. Keyes knew they would find Earth sooner or later. . .if it weren't obliterated already. Then again, they could just drift in space for the rest of their lives, and die of no life support or let a lone Covenant ship blast them to smithereens.

"Captain, I think it would be a good idea to go get the Chief out of cryo-sleep," Cortana said.
"Why is that?" Keyes asked.
"Because we're near Earth. 5 light-years away to be exact. We just need to make one brief Slipspace jump and we'll be in the Lox Sector."
"I'm heading for the cryo-bay now," Keyes asserted.


Keyes briskly walked to the cryo-bay. When he reached the door to the cryo-bay, it asked him for security clearence codes. Since he didn't have the codes, he would need to break it down.

Keyes sighed. He looked around for something suitable to knock the door down.

Oh, this'll do good. Keyes picked up a metal crowbar from off the floor, and walked over to the door. He stabbed down into the key-pad with the crowbar, making sparks fly. The door slowly started to fall down. Keyes kicked it so it would fall faster.

The cryo-bay door clattered to the ground. The captain dropped the bar and walked to the only cryo chamber that was not vacant.

Keyes rubbed his hands together. "What were the buttons again? Oh, yeah." Keyes pushed three buttons.

"Tube shows green," Cortana said over the loudspeaker, "cycle complete."
"Affirmative," Keyes replied. "Vital signs look normal. No abnormal heart beat nor brain wave patterns."

The Master Chief shook his head to wave away the disorientation. He needed a second to remember where he was. The Longsword interceptor, the cryo-tube.

"Welcome back, Master Chief," Keyes said.

The Chief stood up. He felt like he wanted to throw up. He quickly flipped his helmet's visor up, and he coughed as he regurgitated the cryonic fluid in his throat.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this fluid," John said.
"It's the only way to replace lost nutrients from cryo-sleep, Master Chief," Captain Keyes said, scratching the back of his neck. "The brass orders, we obey. You can step out of the cryo-tube now."

The Chief stepped onto the floor and gave his superior a crisp salute. Captain Keyes returned it.

"At ease, Master Chief," the captain asserted. "We're about five light-years away from Earth. Cortana says we need to make a brief Slipspace jump and we'll be in Earth's star system, Lox."

The two Navy men strode toward the bridge.

"Sleep well?" Cortana asked when they reached the bridge.
John yawned. "I could be better, but then again I could be worse."

An artificial voice over the loudspeaker sounded off.

"Slipspace insertion in three, two, one. Slipspace insertion," it announced.

The space in front of the Longsword turned a dull gray and a bright green. This was the first time the Master Chief had seen what Slipspace looked like without being stuffed in a tube.

Chapter 2

1030 Hours November 17, 2554 [Military Calendar]/
Longsword interceptor 34, in orbit above Earth


Two days later, the artificial voice said, "Five seconds to Slipspace exsertion. Four, three, two, one. Slipspace exsertion."

Then the Longsword exited Slipspace. Almost immediately, a voice came over the loudspeaker.

"Halt, who are you?" the voice stated.
"UNSC HQ, this is Cortana of the Pillar of Autumn. I have Master Chief Petty Officer Spartan John-117 and Captain Jacob Keyes aboard with me," she said.
"Roger that, Cortana. The fleet is sending the destroyer, Blackened Heart, to retrieve you. Hold your position in orbit above Earth until then."
"Cortana to UNSC HQ, over and out." The COM line went dead.

"What're our orders?" the Master Chief inquired.
"We've been ordered to orbit Earth until the destroyer, Blackened Heart, can escort us back to Earth," she replied.

TO BE CONTINUED

Did you like it? I would really like comments because that's what motivates me. Earth: A Halo Tale Part 2 is on the way. Stay tuned.





bungie.org