halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Evocringe Chapter 1: Teeming
Posted By: Masurati<Evocringe@aol.com>
Date: 28 July 2002, 1:39 am


Read/Post Comments

      The gyrating purple beast howled as it glided through the atmosphere of Tar'ruhn, gracefully diving toward the surface of one of the small, yet growing, Covenant colonies. The multiple layers of the atmosphere proved no problem for the newly designed banshees, made for quick chases and inner-outer space battles. A few minutes passed before the banshee finished passing through the atmosphere. It was descending into a desolate, uninhabited area of the alien world. Within a few additional minutes the banshee made a dip and pulled up, slowing down for a landing. It began to slowly hover over a patch of extraterrestrial mineral composites, or simply alien rocks. Yet the alien rocks weren't alien since they were on their own homeworld. The three-pronged set of rods exposed themselves from underneath the banshee as it set down for a landing, allowing for a stable foundation. The banshee contained something truly alien to the Covenant homeworld. Air parted quickly, allowing for a "woosh" sound. Two feet landed on the rocks. Two feet covered in black boots. A set of hazel eyes danced over the dry desert that engulfed the banshee as the chestnut hair was being blown by the alien winds.

      "Evo in, Evo in. Do you copy? Evo in, Evo in."
      "We copy, Evo. Do you confirm landing successfully?"
      "Evo in to confirm landing - successfully."
      "Great, Evo. We're gonna have to go silent, now. Don't need those damn Covenant bastards listening on us. Our signal will be picked up. Don't call us unless you need it, got it?"
      "Roger that, Old Man."
      "Good luck, Evo."

      Evo turned back to his stolen banshee, or as he personally called it, his Fly-Ride. On the newly colonized world a single human stood in the alien wilderness singing... "Play that funky music white boy... play that funky music riiiight. Lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til you die. 'Til you die!" Soon after ending his vocal chorus from the 20th century, Evo reached into the pilot seat (more of a bed,) for his supplies that he had been laying on during his short trip from the ONI Intel ship Webspinner to the surface of Tar'ruhn. The first item he pulled out of his Fly-Ride was his EMMA AR, which resembled something closer to an Uzi than an actual assault rifle, but being the loyally serving ONI agent he was, he didn't question the reasons as to why things were the way they were, most importantly why an Uzi-look-a-like was called an assault rifle. EMMA AR's name was no acronym, only the name of the scientist/gunsmith's wife who developed the EMMA AR. The EMMA AR could fire explosive rounds that contained a pinch of shard in them, to allow for cutting, most of all internal ruptures to enemies, whether human or covenant.
      Evo gripped the handle of the EMMA AR tightly in his hand, knowing that for the next few hours or even a day, it would be his only friend. The wind became stronger, tossing his hair to and fro. The second article Evo reached for was his robe. The robe wasn't meant for acting as a decorative piece of clothing even though it was maroon in color, but prevented anyone wearing it from feeling the cutting wind that ran through a human's bones like water through a net. The robe was made of fiber upon fiber, some of those fibers being earthen, some of those fibers being alien. The result was a protective suit against the harsh winds that were present on most Covenant colonies, including Tar'ruhn. Evo placed the robe back in the banshee, reaching for his last tool of survival, aside from some plans on paper. His third piece of equipment was a cloaking belt that allowed him to not only evade radar, but also blend in with his surroundings, granting him the ability of a chameleon. With his chameleon belt, his wind-resistant robe, and his rapid fire rifle, Evocringe would prove to be a formidable enemy simply because of stealth.
      Evo wrapped the belt around his waist, yet did not activate it; now wasn't the time. He donned his robe, sliding it over his neck and shoulders and then fitting his arms into the sleeves. Lastly, Evo picked up the EMMA AR from his banshee's seat and placed it in a pocket fold of his robe, which allowed his hands to be free. He then began his journey from a place of nowhere to a thriving metropolis of hostile aliens and even aliens who sympathized with humans.





bungie.org