halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Halo 2: Return of Death, Part 4
Posted By: Lord Dagon<shadowlord@nc.rr.com>
Date: 26 October 2002, 5:01 pm


Read/Post Comments

"GO, GO, GO!!" screamed Black to Blue 1 and 2.

They all jumped out of the Hawkeye and brought their guns up to their chests, looking for the right target. The Hawkeye repositioned to face the damaged hull of the flagship. Suddenly a lash of plasma erupted from the shadows, striking Blue 1, instantly bringing his shields down. Black fired his rifle at the shadow and watched as a cloud of freeze-dried blood floated around. The Hawkeye turned to the left and fire, another cloud of blood.

Black rushed over to Blue 1, checked him over and said to Blue 2, "He's gone..."

"Wha... How?" asked Blue 2.

"The plasma not only burnt through his shields, but it vaporized a chunk of armor, he was dead by the time the bolt hit him." Replied Black.

"Blue 3?" asked Black over his comm.-link.

"Yes sir?"

"Get down here now, we're commencing our operation."

"Aye sir."

"Sir, if you would be so kind as to allow me to speak I would be very grateful." Nightshade finally said.

"Well, go ahead, I never said you couldn't talk." Replied Black.

"Well sir, if you don't mind, I'm going to upload a map I "found" of the flagship onto you HUD, if it's okay with you."

"Fine, fine, go ahead." Black answered indignantly, he was becoming annoyed at this A.I.

A map flickered up on his HUD and he examined it carefully. Black relayed the map to Blue 2 and 3. He found the control room and marked it, an orange triangle appeared above the mapped control room, as well as the distance, 567.45 meters.

"Alright team, were heading to the bridge of this behometh and we're going to kill anything that gets in our way, you get me?"

"Yes sir!" replied Blue 2 and 3 in unison.

They started toward the nearest passage stopped and kept moving. Black's motion tracker read clean so he brought his rifle down. They moved on until they reached a door, Black kicked it open then moved into the new corridor, that was now venting atmosphere, Blue 3 closed the door, just to be safe. The team moved on, then, under Black's signal, stopped. A movement appeared on Black's motion tracker, he readied his rifle and peered around the corner. Through his sites he saw a "monkey thing", and decided to take the shot. He fired and watched as the beast's chest exploded into chunks. It fell onto the floor, only a heap of hair, bone, and flesh. Black walked over to it and examined its weapons. A gun that reminded him of a fuel rod gun on its right arm and a blade looking thing equipped on its left. The team followed the nav point until they reached a corridor with a Spec Ops Elite.

"Hmm... Now why would the Covenant have a Special Force on this flagship?" thought Black.

"Most likely a guard to some Covenant official, sir." Replied Nightshade.

Blue 2 and 3 opened fire with their silenced Assault Rifle and Battle Rifle. The bullets of the AR were mostly misses and those that did hit just pinged off the Elite's shield, who in turn opened fire upon Black's team, but mostly missing. The Battle Rifle on the other hand was a different story, none of the bullets missed and after half a clip the shields of the Elite finally flickered away, the rest of the clip aided with the AR fire tore into the alien's body, tearing its body to chunks. The team moved on until they go to a door marked with some alien words. Black kicked it open and brought his pistol up to bear. The rest of the team moved in and secured the area. Inside this room was a rock of some sort, with runic inscriptions on it that read like this:

Which in English reads:

The leaders will not perish but be taken by the fierce warriors to their home. There they will be tortured until they speak of peace and alliances, or else they die...

If action is taken swiftly the Spark that is Guilty will reveal the location of the fierce warriors' home and then there will be complete destruction of the beasts, and the leaders will be safe...

If action is not taken, the Spark that is Guilty will be found by the fierce warriors and destroyed with the new light weapons, and then, the fierce warriors' home will not be revealed, and the leaders will be taken...

"Blue 2? Are you recording this?" demanded Black.

"YES SIR! I wouldn't miss it for my life." Blue 2 replied.

At that instant three Black Elites appeared in front of the door, opening fire with their plasma rifles, and the third activating his Plasma Sword. Black's team returned fire, with the plasma rifle, AR, grenades, and Pistol fire. Shields everywhere were flickering, Black took one of Blue 2's anti tank mines, had his team activate their camo mode, then attached the mine to the Plasma Sword wielding Elite, it screamed in agony as it struggled to get it off. Black's team rushed out the door and ran down the corridor, Black deactivated his camo and triggered the detonator. The last thing the Elites saw was Black with his helmet off, smiling. Black put his helmet back on and proceeded to move toward the control room. Cursing to himself about how he could have recovered that Plasma Sword.

"Nightshade, what is the ETA for reaching the Control Room?" Demanded Black.

"Factoring in the possibility of enemy patrols, as well as stopping to examine, and the current rate we are going, I would say about 19.47945 minutes." Replied Nightshade.

The team moved out in a delta formation and had their rifles at the ready just in case. So far so good, no patrols nothing. When the team finally reached the bridge doors, they were a bit worried, after 15 minutes of walking down corridors, they didn't encounter a single enemy, which lead Black to think that there was an entire Covenant Battalion on the bridge. He brought two grenades up, opened the door and threw them. Blue 2 and 3 did the same. 6 explosions rumbled in the bridge, 12 screams were heard. Black's team moved in firing at the survivors, which surprisingly consisted mostly of grunts instead of the usual jackals or Elites. Several Elites grouped together to provide overlapping fields of fire for one another, but they soon realized the error of their ways when they were blown to bits with a grenade. After the enemy had been eliminated, Black, Blue 2 and 3 proceeded to put all the plasma weapons in one pile and hold onto all the grenades they found. The team also policed the bodies into the far corner of the bridge, where they wouldn't be in the way so much. Black then ordered Blue 2 to stand guard by the left door, and Blue 3 to stand guard by the right door.

"I'm going to upload you into the Covenant ship's data banks now Nightshade." Said Black.

"I'm ready when you are sir." Replied Nightshade.

Black took the A.I. chip out of his helmet and placed it in the ship's data banks.

"Amazing! The wealth of information is overwhelming!! How stupid you humans are!! The method of accurate Slipstream traveling is so simple!!! I must record this!! OH.... Dear.... I have located their homeworld!!" Nightshade was beginning to sound as if he was going crazy like he was drunk.

"Calm down, Nightshade, are there any other Covenant on this ship?" coaxed Black.

"Scanning... Yes, there is a battalion scattered throughout this ship... Apoximatley 430 enemy personel are on board." Nightshade replied.

"Okay, are there any automated defenses on board?"asked Black.

"Yes, there are 500 strategic plasma gun emplacements for the elimination of intruders, but they require 4/5 of the power generated by the reactors to fire."

"Good, overcharge all those gun emplacements and open fire on all Covenant personel." Ordered Black.

"Yes sir." Nightshade responed.

Screams could be heard near the bridge as overcharge plasma shots were fired at the Covenant. The ship's lights dimmed as power was being used. Shots could be heard throughout the ship. 5 minutes later the ambient lighting returned to normal and power levels were balanced.

"Scanning... All Covenant personel have been eliminated..." said Nightshade in an uncertain tone.

"Excellent... The ship is ours..." thought Black...





bungie.org