halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


He's Baaaaaack! Chapter 1- State Your Name to Peeved Spartans
Posted By: Killer_Fairy
Date: 28 October 2002, 2:28 am


Read/Post Comments

It was only a month after Reach had been attacked and defeated. Earth's only hope was the Spartans, but with most missing or killed and only 2 accounted for, things were looking pretty grim. It's been a week, since Heather's brush with death. Ever since then, she has been planning 'revenge' on her attacker in her spare time.
"You know, I can't believe those Covenant bastards actually defeated Reach. Everyone though that it was the best defence Earth had, hell, even I thought it was unbeatable...crowbar" said Heather. She was fixing up her personalized Longsword Bomber out in front of her private hangar, which contained all of her 'toys'. Her Longsword was faster, smaller, and had some extra special features that most didn't have. Part of the inventory in the hangar included a pelican, tank, 2 warthogs, and the empty space that usually held her Bomber. Her hangar door was always closed, and no one knew what really went on in there. Everyone who went in though had to go through a tight security scan first. Heather loved her personalized stuff too much to have them ripped off by some thief, though it was very unlikely that would happen. Everyone knew that a Spartan owned that hangar, and the thought of what would happen if she caught them scared the crap out of most people.
Mark handed her the crowbar, and just missed the wrench that came flying from inside one of the engines.
"Look, you don't have to throw the tools back at me." Mark added, a bit agitated, "you can pass them to me.... like normal people!"
"Oh, stop your whining Mark, you know I'm not normal" Heather stated, starting to laugh, "Now hand me the socket wrench". With that said, the crowbar came flying out of the engine, straight at Mark again, hitting him in the shin.
"CRAP!! THAT ONE HURT!!" Mark shouted, while clutching his shin.
"Something wrong?" asked Heather, sticking her head out the front of the engine, "And where is my socket wrench?"
"Get it yourself" snapped Mark. He was fine now, but really mad at Heather.
"Fine..." sighed Heather, as she now had to climb down from the engine, and get the tools she wanted herself. She dropped down from the engine, covered with dirt and grease, and started to pick through the tool box, looking at tools carefully, before tossing them out of the way, not caring if they landed in the tool box or on the ground. Mark looked at Heather with disgust, he was a big neat freak, and the way she was leaving her tools scattered about was really getting on his nerves. He looked away, trying not to think about her mess, when something caught his eye out on the horizon. Something that just looked wrong, as if danger was right about to come up while no one was ready and strike a ugly claw upon Earth...It was also getting closer, and looked fairly big by the looks of it. Heather had found her socket wrench, and was already in the engine already when Mark called to her
"Hey...um...you might want to check this out Heather"
"What now...is my mess bugging you"?
"No, although your mess is quite annoying, you should come out and see this..."
"I'm busy right now. I'll see it lat....." Mark cut her off, getting really angry,
"Get your ass out of that engine, and look at this!!"
"Fine! I'm coming, I'm coming" Heather got out of the engine very slowly, just to annoy Mark even more, when he finally pulled her out, dropped her down in front him, and pointed out into the sky. It was getting bigger, and closer, and they both could see it clearly now. A Longsword in a dog fight with a Banshee.
The Longsword passed about 100 meters overhead, almost blowing Heather and Mark off their feet
"Holy Shit, Heather you had bette.....never mind then" Heather had already got in her Longsword, and was taking off already by the time Mark had noticed it. Mark sighed; knowing Heather would be back soon. He started picking up the tools, as the Banshee blew-up overhead.
"Yesssss..." cried Heather in her cockpit. She watched the Banshee fall straight down right beside Mark, who just looked over causally, and sighed, knowing Heather would leave that mess for him too. Heather clipped on her comm. system and called out to the other Longsword pilot, "Heh, you would have been toast if I hadn't came up and saved your ass!" She smiled, as she enjoyed the fact that she had some bragging rights now, and waited for the other pilot's response, but just saw the pilot flying as fast as they could in the opposite direction of which they came. "Wanna race do you..." Heather mumbled, and started her chase on the unknown pilot. She caught up easily, and decelerated a bit to fly even with the other aircraft. "Pilot; identify yourself" she radioed to the other Longsword pilot.
"Oh, just a friend" replied the other pilot. He sounded preoccupied with something. Heather was getting a bit annoyed at this guy.
"And who's this friend?" she challenged. A female voice answered this time.
"If you don't mind us asking, pilot, who are you?"
"Heather-108...a Spartan." Heather stated proudly. She always replied like that when asked her name. It usually shocked most marines, which was a sort of 'past-time' for Heather. "Now you can answer my question: Who are you?" The other Longsword just took off again, diving low, over a forest. This was really annoying Heather. She pushed up her acceleration to full, and felt the thrust as the after-burners kicked on high. Her Longsword caught up again, and this time she pulled up over top of the other Longsword. The 2 aircraft hurtled over the trees, pulling up many loose leaves and branches in their wake.
"Look buddy," Heather told the other pilot, with an edge to her voice, "tell me who the hell you are.... Or else!"
"Oh," responded the other pilot, "is that a threat?". The other pilot was obviously mocking Heather
"Damn straight.... Now tell me your name!!"
"What's the 'or else'?" The pilot pushed, causing Heather to just lose it.
"This, you asshole" Heather grinned evilly, and she eased her Longsword lower, so it was forcing the other pilot to go lower towards the trees. She kept lowering, until the other Longsword was brushing the tops of the trees. Now the wake from the 2 planes was so strong on the ground that it was knocking over small trees.
"Ok...you can stop now" replied the female voice, obviously trying to hide her nervousness.
"Not until you tell me your name! I thought I made that QUITE clear!!" Heather shouted, but she stopped lowering anyway. She wasn't really going to push the other pilot into the trees. A clearing was coming up fast in front of the 2 Longswords. Heather didn't take too much notice, but the other pilot did, and quickly slowed down. He landed in the clearing, leaving Heather still hurtling along across the tops of the trees.
"Shit!" Heather cursed. The pilot had given her the slip. She pulled a 180, still going insanely fast. The g forces involved in this turn were enough to knock any marine out, even in a flight suit, but Heather was fine. She came back to the clearing, and slowed down. She managed to land the Longsword, even though it was still going pretty fast.
The other pilot still hadn't got out of his plane. Heather, infuriated, threw off her safety belt, grabbed a shotgun a few shells, and a plasma grenade from a compartment behind the pilots seat. She opened the back door, and half walked, half ran over to the second Longsword. She loaded the shotgun.
"OPEN THE DOOR!" she shouted at the back of the plane. No response. By this time Heather had enough. She activated the plasma grenade and stuck it to the back of the Longsword. The grenade looked weird; a glowing blue ball, stuck to the back of a cold grey door. The grenade blew in an explosion of blue plasma, and metal shards. Heather didn't wait for the entire explosion to clear before running into the back of Longsword.





bungie.org