halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Revolution 2 Return of the Forerunner Part 3: First Strike
Posted By: Gruntkiller<ttavenor@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: 30 October 2002, 7:20 pm


Read/Post Comments

Outskirts of Galileo, Kay system

      Lieutenant Arch stared down at the radar screens of his station; he was the one on outpost 176, since the forerunner had been engaged not to long ago things just seemed to get tense everything was on high alert waiting to see if the Forerunner would attack.

      "Goddamn meteors that's all there is out here meteors and space junk," said Arch as struggled to stay awake, he hadn't been able to get any rest for the last few days every time he turned around new reports of strange energy signals would come in.

      "Do I always have to correct you that's an asteroid not a meteor," said the outpost AI Lea.

      "What ever, their all just floating rocks," said Arch as his eyes began to close; suddenly he collapsed on to the keyboard of his station.

      On his screen suddenly three large triangular shaped objects passed onto his screen.

      "Wake up!" said Lea.

      Suddenly Arch's eyes came open and wandered to the screen for several seconds he stared at the screen until he could finally get a word out of his mouth, "oh shit."

Galileo

      "All stations go to high alert immediately," yelled Koju, as he stood now tense listening to the reports of incoming ships.

      "Sir ETA of unknown vessels 5 minutes," said the intelligence officer Derrick.

      "I want all fighters launched and ready to engage any hostile craft," yelled out Koju.

      Every ship in the Kay system was now gone to high alert and rushing to defend Galileo from the incoming alien ships, the orbital defenses around the planet, which had not been activated in close to 50 years were now gone to high alert.

      "Unknown craft now within visible range," yelled out Derrick.

      "Charge all weapon systems and fire the minute they're within range," yelled out Koju.

      "Sir they appear to be launching hundreds of smaller ships, about the size of fighters," said Derrick.

      "Order our fighters to engage immediately," said Koju as his stomach began to sink.

      Suddenly a large blue beam came from one of the Forerunner ships it slammed into a UNSC cruiser next to the Thespian front on, the beam passed straight through the cruiser and went on barely missing a frigate behind it. In the cruiser a gapping hole was left which was quickly filled with an explosion from the fusion reactors destroying it.

      "Sir were now in firing range launching all missiles and firing PIB cannons," yelled out the weapons officer.

      Suddenly thousands of smaller cigar shaped ships flew past the Thespian the other defenders, heading towards Galileo.

      "Why aren't the fighters stopping them," yelled out Koju.

      "They did but they were all destroyed," yelled out the weapons officer.

      On the surface of Galileo millions of people were now fleeing for shelter as the cigar shaped ships began to descend into orbit, the hundreds of shelters that covered the planets surface were quickly filled and many people were forced to seek shelter in basements and underground garages.

      "We have contact," yelled out a voice from another squad somewhere on the planet.

      "Where are you," said Sergeant Alt to the troop on the other side of the comm.

      "Grind D8 Alpha," said the troop with a lot of fear in his voice, "were being overrun, there's hundreds of them, AHHHHHH." The comm. signal died.

      "Crap, that sector had a shelter on it," said Alt.

      "Sir an enemy ship made touchdown a minute ago just 500 meters north of here," yelled out a troop.

      "Ok everybody suit up and be prepared for engagement," said ALT.

      A minute later sergeant Alt and his squad of 16 troops a mix of both covenant and human moved quickly up the streets of the city Arit towards the location of the enemy ships landing. Lining the streets there were abandoned hover cars and newsstands, everything seemed strange with the usually crowded streets now empty.

      "Stop!" said Alt through his comm. to his troops, "look up ahead, and take aim, fire upon my signal."

      Up ahead three figures that resembled tall Jackals about 7 feet tall walked around the corner carrying strange weapons that resembled hand held fuel rod guns. Suddenly one of them pointed towards the squad's location behind several hover cars and began to open fire. Large green laser bolts flew through the air colliding with nearby objects completely vaporizing them on impact.

      "Open Fire!" yelled out Alt as he fired his MAC rifle at the three Jackal like creatures.

      Within minutes the whole street was a huge firefight as more and more creatures joined the enemy and began to fire upon the small squad. An Elite soldier next to Alt was suddenly struck by one of the bolts his body was quickly engulfed in a large green explosion that left nothing but a smoldering crater in the sidewalk.

      The enemy seemed to be taking hits but nothing could penetrate their shields.

      "We need EVAC ASAP!" yelled Alt through his comm. to one of the many carriers currently fighting in orbit.

      "T-Drop on route, ETA three minutes," said the man on the other side of the comm.

      "All troops fall back and prepare for EVAC," said Alt through his comm. to his troops.

      Quickly the squad fell back about 2 blocks to a park city park. Of the 16 original squad members only 7 were left many of them with injuries. The green laser bolts were still coming decimating anything that they hit.

      "Prepare for dust off T-drop on ground load up and were out of here," said the voice of T-drops pilot as it quickly came to the ground and landed a little ways away from the squad.

      T-drops were given their name because of their shape the long part had a long hatch on either side much like the old covenant drop ships and the shorter section on the back harbored the engine and shield generators.

      "Load up!" yelled out alt as he began to boot it towards the safety of the drop ship. Quickly everybody hopped into the closest side of the T-drop and the hatches closed up, quickly the T-drop rose into the sky until it was higher than the nearby building. All across the city the cigar shaped ships were landing dropping off their troops and quickly rising back into orbit. Galileo had been overrun.

      "What's the situation in orbit," Alt asked the pilot of the T-drop.

      "Bad many of our ships are pulling out and retreating to nearby worlds to help defend them if the Forerunner attack them, close to a hundred of our ships have been destroyed," said the Pilot.

      "How many civilians have escaped," asked Alt preparing himself for the bad news.

      "Every attempt so far has failed, most of the shelters have already been found and destroyed by enemy troops," said the pilot as he navigated through the sky and into orbit. Space was filled with fire as the dozens of remaining UNSC ships were firing in a last ditch attempt to save Galileo from the Forerunner. Thousands of chunks of metal from destroyed ships floated past them as they quickly dashed for the carrier that they were told to go to.

      Suddenly a huge blue beam coming from one of the Forerunner ships went straight through the carrier and narrowly missing the T-drop, the carrier was destroyed.

      "Oh crap," said the Pilot, "This is T-drop 3465 our rendezvous with the carrier Hewlett has been terminated, requesting permission to board any ship in the area with room."

      "This is the cruiser Thespian permission granted to dock with us, sending you coordinates," said a man on the comm. channel.

      Seconds later a red dot appeared upon the navigation map and the T-drop quickly flew off to it. The Thespian was huge, its PIB cannons were continuously firing but it was still not enough to damage the Forerunner ships.

      "Coming in to land," said the Pilot.

      The T-drop flew into the cruisers hanger and sank to the ground in an empty spot near the double door entrance to the hanger. Quickly the hatches of the T-drop fell open and the soldiers came out battered, bruised and only half of their original number left.

Next: Information





bungie.org