halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Revolution: Part 11 The Race For Humanity
Posted By: Gruntkiller<ttavenor@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: 28 September 2002, 8:21 pm


Read/Post Comments

      The mixed fleet of covenant rebel and UNSC forces came out of slip stream near Aristol 4 to find a charred planet covered in smoke and rings of fire, all around the planet debris from the planets once massive orbital defenses floated closer and closer to the planet.

      "They reached the planet first, were to late," said Cortana, "im not picking up any life signs from the planet, but there is a small pod approximately 2000 Km from here, I say we go in for a closer investigation."

      "Ok Cortana, all ships proceed to PQ-67," said Hawks, "And all ships be on high alert for any Covenant activity."

      All the ships closed in upon location of the pod, "Bringing in the pod troops report to docking bay and prepare for incoming."

      As the pod was locked down upon the floor of the Argentina several Marine including John punched in a code to the hatch causing it to open up. All of the Marines trained their guns on the insides of the pod, at the far end of the pod there was a recording chip lay upon the floor, there was nobody inside. John walked in and picked up the chip and inserted it into his helmet.

November 8 16:46, UNSC Captain Trevor
      "We are under attack by covenant forces, there are too many of them, our orbital defenses have been destroyed repeat, our orbital defenses have been destroyed," said the voice of what John assumed to be Captain Trevor. "We are being over run, they have captured one of our cruisers, get to earth before they do, everything is at risk," static to strong for John to interpret fills his ears then a last few words can be heard, "get to earth don't worry about us, just get to earth before they do!" Then the message ended with the sounds of elites yelling out orders and the screams of Marines as they were being slaughtered.

All of the Marines stared at John waiting for the news, John took the chip out of his helmet and said, "we have to get to earth immediately."

On the bridge there was a flurry of activity as Hawks yelled out orders to the various officers at their stations, he was not alone every ship in the fleet had been ordered to go to high combat alert and to prepare for the jump to earth.

      "All our engines are ready we can commence jump as soon as you are ready," said Cortana.

      "Good commence jump," replied Hawks.

      Through the comm. channels every ship was alerted of the jump and then lead by Hawks every ship made the jump.

      The fleet came out if slip stream a little before the moon but even from that distance they could tell that they where in for a fight. All around the earth blue plasma bolts and large MAC rounds could be seen flying around sometimes followed by a brilliant explosion.

      "They have taken sector A4, all ships pull back to A1," crackled the comm. from a ship that fought near earth.

      "All ships fall back we have reinforcements on route," said Cortana.

      "Ok you heard the lady all ships fall back," crackled the comm. again.

      "Sears take all the rebel ships to the left flank of the enemy we will take ours to the right, on our signal attack with everything you got," said Cortana.

      "Ok," replied sears through the comm.

      As the ships came closer to the battle they saw hundreds of covenant cruisers fighting the few brave UNSC ships that were backing off slowly towards earth. Almost as soon as they where in visual range of the cruisers thousands of covenant fighters began to strafe the Argentina, they where met quickly by every fighter that was carried upon the fleet. The battle for earth had begun.

      John ran down the halls of the Argentina towards an escape pod he was followed by Brigs, Shred, and several other Spartans.

      "What do you think your doing," said Cortana to the MC.

      "Saving earth," that's all John said before him and the other Spartans climbed into the pod.

      John climbed into pilots seat and punched the release button. The escape pod flew out into space; John quickly took control and flew them towards the nearest cruiser. The pod swerved left and right trying to avoid the plasma bolts coming from the enemy fighters, but a escape pod is built for fairly straight flights not combat maneuvers and every once and a while a plasma bolt would slam into the pod causing it to lose control for several seconds.

      The pod bounced along a covenant cruisers shields till John found an opening to the docking bays; the pod made a quick turn and slammed on its braking system. The pod slammed into the docking bays floor and slid along taking out several grunts and elites till it hit the wall with a loud clang leaving a path of crushed bodies, destroyed equipment and scorched floors.

      Brigs who was closest to the doors hit the open button and ran out firing upon the covenant who where still staring in shock at the pod, Brigs was followed by Shred and the other Spartans, last of all John walked out of the pod lifting his rifle and put a bullet through the head of a near by grunt. The Spartans all ran for cover around the bays from which to attack the enemy from, plasma quickly heated up the air as hundreds of rounds flew around most of which missed their target.

      An elite ran out the doors leading from the bays with a strange device in his hand, suddenly all of the incoming fire stopped as every enemy elite, grunt, and jackal took cover.

      "Duck!" yelled out Shred.

      Everyone not knowing what was about to happen ducked, soon there was a huge explosion that sent many of the enemy flying into the air, next to John a Spartan who looked up to see what had happened was picked off in the head by a large piece of metal. John ran over to the Spartan to find himself to late, the large triangular metal was sticking through one side of his helmet and out the other, blood began to seep through the helmet onto the floor slowly flowing towards the bay doors.

      John stood up to find a small crater near the doors where the elite once stood, it was a suicide bomber all of the Spartans began to get up and move around but they found no more covenant that where alive. John and the rest of the Spartans moved through the badly damaged doors that led to the maze of halls which John would have to use to find the Bridge. As he began to make his way through the halls slowly he heard loud footsteps coming from around the corner, he knew what they where coming from, hunters.
John turned around the corner and threw two frag grenades at the approaching hunters he was followed by the other Spartans who shat at and threw grenades. Suddenly the first grenade went off setting off the rest the hall was filled with shrapnel and fire sending 7 hunters flying through the air killing them instantly.

      John and his Spartans ran up the hall towards where they thought the control room would be. John quickly opened the doors to find that they were in the elite quarters. John and the Spartans fired upon the elites who where suiting up for battle, one Spartan in front of John was hammered 5 times by plasma fire in the body, he fell to the ground and crawled towards cover, John looked at him and knew that only the Spartans shields were gone.

      The battle in the elites quarters raged on for several more minutes, many times did Spartans have to duck behind cover for their shields to come back online. Soon there was only 1 elite left, he quickly dropped his weapon and put his arms up in the air in defeat.

      All of the Spartans approached the elite cautiously always keeping an eye on his hands so that if he made even the slightest twitch to pick up his weapon he'd be filled with plasma tipped bullets.

      "Show us the way to the bridge or you die a very slow dishonorable death," said John in a clod voice.

      "Follow me then," replied the elite as he began to walk towards the door on the far side of the room with his hands still held high in the air.

Next: Part 12: Biting Off More Than You Can Chew





bungie.org