halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


HALO: A New War of Old Enemies Chap. 2 - First Contact?
Posted By: Jeff Graham<lunar_rain98@yahoo.com>
Date: 25 December 2002, 12:11 am


Read/Post Comments

1405 Hours, September 16, 2552 (Military Calendar)/
UPDI Cruiser Invincible, Halo Planetary System

      Captain Bellow ran his hand through his graying hair, kneeling down next to Lieutenant Kino. "If there' any activity in the Hangar notify me immediately, understood?"
      Kino turns and looks into the Captain's Sharp blue eyes. "Yes sir." She said; lowering her eyes she turns back to her duty station, and begins to type.
      The Captain rose slowly, "And, see if you can access communication with the men."
      She turned again and smiled half-heartedly, "Yes sir, I'll tell you when I get it."
      Bellow smiled, "Thank you," he quickly walked over to his chair and sat slowly, easing into the cool jell seat; raising his hand to rubbed his temples, "Communications, get me Fleet Command."
      The Lieutenant did a sarcastic salute, "Yes, sir!" He quickly typed in the access code, spun around in his chair, stopped and pointed both index fingers at the Captain, "All yours sir."
      Captain Bellow just looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Yes, thank you...I think." Bellow slowly turned away, keeping his left eye trained on him as Kiev continued to spin around in his chair. Bellow rubbed his chin and could not for the life of him remember why he kept him onboard. He brushed this thought aside and accessed the COM channel. "'Access Denied', what the heck? Kiev, what's going on? I need to contact Fleet command, no games damn it!"
      Kiev stopped spinning, "Sir, I connected the Com channel, you should be able to get through."
      Bellow shifted himself while tapping at his screen. "No, it is not connected," growled Bellow, "Now check the connection Lieutenant!"
       Kiev rolled his eyes and turned to his console. "Sir, my station says you are connected." He leaned back with feeling of satisfaction but a code written in an unknown language was scrolling up the screen. "What the?"
      "What's wrong now?" Grumbled Bellow.
       "Sir, the signal, it's being blocked." Said Kiev as he looked over his screen,       "Blocked, by what?"
      Kiev scrolled over the COM manifests, "I don't know sir, but from the speed and the percentage the signals are being returned and absorbed, it's very close."
      Captain Bellow turned his attention to hawk, as he spins in his chair to face him. "Scan the area within 100,000 meters immediately."
      " Aye, aye Captain," Said Hawk as his hands danced across the keyboard. "Scanning now sir." The main screen showed a view of the area within 100,000 meters. The area looked clear until a small triple teardrop shape was caught. "Sir." The object enlarged and was turned into 3-D model. "What is that thing?"
      Bellow squinted at the object, "I...I'm not-," Bellow recognized the sleek design, "No, not another one." Said Bellow. A Covenant corvette had followed them through the tear and was now circling then while cloaked.
      "Sir," Said Hikowa as he walked onto the bridge, "What's going on, I was not informed of anything," Hikowa looks at the main view screen "and what is that?"
      Bellow just shot an annoyed look at Hikowa and looked back at the view screen. "We are in a very tight spot here, an enemy ship has cut off communications between us and Fleet Com. and is cloaked as it sits there, probably laughing at us." Bellow looked back at Hikowa, "You're welcome to watch Colonel.
      Colonel Hikowa walked up next to the Captain's seat, looking over at him. "And where are my troops Captain?"
      Bellow looks over at Hikowa, "Your troops are-"
      "Sir!" Yelled Lieutenant Kino as she quickly turned in her chair, and looked up to the Captain, "Sir, the hangar, I've picked up activity," Kino stops, listening closely to the monotonous sound of pulse laser fire, "weapons fire sir, but it's not ours." After a few moments an explosion powerful enough to alter the ships course erupted from the Hangar.
      "What as that?"
      Kino turned, smiling, to Bellow, "The hangar door's have been freed; should I re-pressurize the Hangar?"
      "Yes, but do it slowly, I don't want anybody/anything to know it is happening." Bellow rubbed his eyes; he was 56, and getting too old for this.
      "Captain, I am heading bellow to aid my men." Hikowa quickly turned and ran off of the bridge knocking an ensign (Lowest rank in UPDI Navy) over in his haste.
      Bellow leaned towards Kino, "Have you been able to make contact with the soldiers yet?"
      "No sir, there is to much interference." Replied Kino as she turned back around with a sad look on her face.
      Bellow leaned back in his chair, breathing a sign of aggravation, "How long until the EH (Event Horizon) generator is re-charged Anderton?"
      "30 minutes Captain."
      Hawk's face showed a sign of alarm and fear as he spun in his chair, "Unknown Hyperspace contact sir, 1 light year."
      Bellow, his face showing an expression of complete disbelief, turned in his seat facing Hawk, "What, who?"
      Hawk looked down at the floor thinking of the appropriate word, "Them, sir."

      A Gold Elite yells as it rushes a group of Marines.
      "Open fire!" Yelled Sergeant Howard. The group of five marines squeezed their triggers in unison sending a flurry of bullets streaking towards the Elite as it ran, yelling its battle cry. The first barrage bounced of its shields draining his shield a miniscule amount, thus, inflicting no damage to the creature.
      "AHHH!" The Elite grabbed Private Flint around the neck and squeezed, breaking the environmental seals around his helmet, causing his suit to lose all oxygen.
      "Keep firing!" Yelled sergeant Howard as he reloaded his rifle. The Elite threw the near dead soldier into the group of Marines knocking them all over as their guns continued to fire.
      A round hit Howard in the leg knocking him down; the Elite smirked as it jumped over the barricade landing inches from Howard. He was on his ass, his gun 2 feet away, just out of his reach. His radio began to fizz, then is went clear.
      "Human, you will die and I will become a Legend!" The Elite activated its beam saber and raised it above its head. "DIE!" The Elite swing, a sound of breaking bones and torn flesh sounded out.
      "Damn Elite." Commented john as he completed his kick, nearly tearing the Elites well developed arm clean off. The Elite lost grip of the blade, throwing it into the wall. It stumbled back; shocked at the pain, and from the abrupt loss of feeling from its elbow down, when it recovered it's balance it looked up into the Master Chief's Visor.
      "You...the green-" John didn't let the heartless creature finish, a loud bang reverberated through halls as he shot it in the head with his M6D pistol. The body hit the floor with a thud and clank as the armored body landed on the deck. John looked over the dead Elite, shooting it in the head again, for good measure. Stepping over the corpse, he walked over to wall and pulled the plasma blade out.
      "This may prove useful." John deactivated the alien tool of war and put it into his ammunition sack, to use when things got tough. Howard grasped his rifle, pulling it towards himself as he rose, the other men collecting themselves, and their gear, as well.
      A couple of Marines tended to their fallen comrade as Howard checks his bloody leg. He looked up in awe at the giant god of war clad in his olive-green MJOLNIR armor. John stared down at Howard, extending his arm as a sign of aid and friendship. Howard grasped it, allowing john to pull him to his feet.
      "Are you okay," asked John, "can you walk?" Howard taped his leg with the flash suppressor of his gun. When the metal barrel connected with his leg, pain shot through it causing the sergeant to take all pressure off of his leg almost causing him to fall. John grabbed him before he even fell a centimeter.
      Howard smirked and laughed a little, "I guess I'm a cripple." John hoisted him up so as he was lying over his shoulder.
      "Don't worry, I never leave a man behind."
      The sergeant chuckled, "You sentinels aren't all you're cracked up to be." The sergeant smiled then slipped into unconsciousness from the blood-loss.
      John looked over to Howard's men; they were all staring at John, as if waiting for something. The Corporal stepped forward. "Orders, sir?"
      John thought for a moment, "Are you the ranking officer of this group?"
      "Yes, sir." replied the Corporal a she nodded his head.
      "You command the team, I don't know the layout of this ship."
       Corporal Mc Parland stiffened and then saluted, "Sir yes, sir!" The team turned as one and began to proceed down the hall as John brought up the rear.
      "Sir, give him here." One of the privates turned around and took Sergeant Howard from the Chief. "We can't have our ace in the hole be handy caped, now can we." The private smiled and turned back to the group.
      As the group moved slowly down the hall John had moved up to take point. John looked around as he came to another intersection, raising his hand to signal a halt. "Clear," he said as he lowered his hand.
      "Chief," said a cool voice, "I'm back."
      "Cortana, where have you been? "
      She brought up a small picture of herself oh John's HUD, flipping back her hair, "I have been trying to get into this ship's mainframe," her data lines turned a dull red, "but I have had no luck, this damn ship has an AI like nothing I've seen, they/it is as good as I am."
      John smirked, "Maybe you're just out of touch, or the systems are too different."
      "Nope, the systems' are almost the same, the damn AI is just too fast." Cortana crossed her arms, "I-." Cortana stopped and she looked around. Incoming Chief.
      An explosion, practically 10 feet away, flew around a corner. Smoke quickly filled the air, almost completely blocking out the Marines vision.
      "Guns' ready!" Yelled the Corporal, raising his guns as his men followed.
      "Sir." A shadowy figure slid across the floor, slamming into a wall.
      "Open fire!" But before the men could squeeze the trigger John grabbed the guns and lowered them.
      "Hold, hold!" Yelled Cortana, over the COM channel.
      "Sir?" Asked one of the privates, raising his eyebrow.
      "That is," John activated the filter on his HUD, "Wolf."
      Wolf raised himself up, and looked in John's direction, raising his weapon, but lowering it upon recognizing the Spartan's Green armor.
      Wolf quickly diverted his attention down the hall he came from, receiving 3 plasma rounds to the chest. The round washed over him as his shields flickered under the extreme heat, and velocity of the round caused Wolf to fly into the wall behind him, denting it upon impact.
      "Wolf?" asked Cortana.
      "Not now." said john raising his MA5B Assault Rifle, leveling it on Wolf.
      Wolf popped himself out of the wall only to be thrown back into it by a Gold Elite.
      "Human, why do you not just die!" The Elite reeled back and punched.
      "Not today Ku'nnar." Wolf caught the punch just centimeters from his face and began to squeeze the Elites hand, bones could be heard starting do crack, despite even their super high bone density.
      "Stupid Human." It scoffed as it threw Wolf off to it's left. "Human, why don't you just die?" The Elite began to turn towards Wolf when a click echoed from behind it. "What?"
      John and the entire fire team had their rifles raised, aimed directly at the Elites body.
      The Elite turned to John and opened its mouth, letting out a loud roar that nearly scared the soldiers off.
      "FIRE!" John squeezed the trigger, unloading 15 rounds per second into the golden Elite.
      The Marines rifle's erupted in flashes as the barrage of metal flew towards the cocky Elite. The rounds impacted, all but the Master Chief's bouncing harmlessly off of the shields.
      The Elite smiles as it pulls out a Plasma rifle. The COM channel filled with static then went uncomfortably silent. "You humans are truly like a disease, popping up in the most unusual places; but easily dealt with." The Elite adjusted its aim, pointing the weapon at Private Stark.
      The Elite fired, but the round hit the wall instead of the Private; John watched as Wolf grabbed it, snapping the Elites thick neck with little visible effort. Wolf released the body, dropping it in a mass of lifeless flesh and armor onto the deck.
      The soldiers stood there, staring at the Elite, in awe at the specimen.
      "Umm-"
      "Marines, do you copy, over." Asked a calm female emanating from over the COM channel.
      This is fire-team Epsilon, we have 2 sentinels with us." Mc Parland stopped giving the bridge time to reply. "And what the hell took you so damn long to contact us?"
      Chattering, yelling, and undecipherable words could be heard over her dialogue. "The enemy on the ship where emitting a signal that jammed us out, we couldn't contact you because you where so close to the source."
      The Captain could be heard yelling on the bridge as the ship shook. "What was that?" Demanded Wolf, but nobody responded. "Hello?"
      "Sorry, we are under attack by an enemy ship, but will be jumping out of the system and into Epsilon 4's orbit within 3 minutes." The COM channel cut out as the ship shuddered again.
      John braced himself with the walls, nearly falling over when the ship shook.
      "Should we head for the bridge?"
      "The would be the most prudent course." Replied Mc Parland as he fell against the wall.
      "I did it!" Cortana's yelp for glee startled the soldiers. "I gained access to the ship. I guess it wasn't the Ai, it was the Covenant."
      "Where's the bridge?" Asked John, interrupting her self-adulation.
      Cortan quickly calmed down and made a 3D diagram of the ship onto the soldier's HUD's. "Just follow the yellow brick road." With that, Cortana lit up the route they where to take in a yellow line. "This should take you right to the bridge. "
      As John had Cortana transfer the Data to the soldiers, wolf stood uneasily, shifting his weight from foot to foot. "What's wrong?"
      Wolf stopped, leaning back he looked down both ways of the hall. "I have a bad feeling," Wolf stood up straight, pulling his gun up to his chest, then propping it on his arm. "The one you get in your gut."
      "Yeah."
      "Sir, why aren't we going?" Inquired a marine, keeping an eye and his gun aimed down the hall.
      "It's not safe." Replied the Master Chief, turning to face him.
      "Not safe, why?"
      "Cortana, contact the bridge."
      Cortana punched in the code; nothing. "I'm being blocked out, again."
      "An alien yelled a marine." All guns where trained on the halls end, a faint green glow growing, slowly but surly.
      "Hold your fire, and remember, 'small, controlled bursts'." The Marines all switched to the 3 round burst setting, then aimed back down the hall.
      The green light rounded the corner, an injured Elite hobbled around it, blood running profusely from its left leg. As it walked down the hall, a hunter came around after it. The hunter caught up to it and grabbed the Elite, throwing it down the hall at the Marines.
      The Elite ignored the men; instead it turned, pulling out a Plasma Rifle. The Elite began firing as it yelled in its native language.
      A deep laugh emanated from the Hunter as it raised its fuel rod cannon, it laughed even harder.
      "Shut up!" Yelled a human sounding voice from behind the Hunter.
      Stopping, the Hunter turned and was engulfed in flames. The flames danced in the low gravity, washing, like water, over the walls and the monster.
      A hunk of metal and burnt flesh flew to the deck, pieces of it still burning.
      A team of 2 Marines rushed down the hall, discarding the spent Rocket launcher in the sprint. "Sir," said the ranking officer to Wolf. "This...alien, saved our lives, it killed one of those big things and 2 of its own."
      "What!" John had never heard of anything like this, an Elite helping a human. "It actually killed them?"
      The marine kneeled down next to the alien. "Yes, it smashed their heads open; the big one, it threw a mess load of these." Said the Private, pulling a Plasma Grenade from his pouch.
      The Master Chief stood in amazement; could there actually be Elites that will help humans?
      The Elite recognized the Master Chiefs armor, word had traveled quickly about the Green human: Spartan. It knew it was time to die and take as many humans with it as possible. Moving its arm over to the man holding the Plasma Grenade the Elite grasped it. "Human..." The Elite grabbed the man and activated the grenade, sticking it to a marine. "...Die!"
      The Master Chief grabbed 2 soldiers, throwing them behind him as Wolf did the same.
      The poor man with the grenade attached to his chest cried out for the soldiers to save him, but the final 3 seconds of his life where up.
      The blue flame incinerated him and the Elite immediately among contact, a shockwave throwing the Marines and the warriors backwards. The smoke had cleared and all that remained was the charred corpse of and Elite and its armor; the marine was vaporized.
      "These damn things are even more ruthless than before." Yelled John, punching the wall, denting it with the near ton of pressure he applied. He proceeded to punch it again and again until Wolf stopped him.
      "We need to go, the Captain is waiting."
      John reluctantly turned to face Wolf. "I guess you're correct, we had better go."

"Incoming!" The plasma bolt slammed into the side of the Invincible. The bolts washed over the shields as she countered with her own assault.
      "How many left Lieutenant?" Demanded Wreager.
      Lieutenant Hawk cleared his throat. "1 Frigate sir, the Destroyer is down and so is the other Frigate."
      "How long till that damn generator is charged lieutenant?" Yelled Bellow. Quickly bracing himself between his chair and the rail surrounding it, ready for another impact.
      "Umm..." Anderton typed furiously, often hitting the wrong button while attempting to bring up the counter. "10 seconds sir."
      Bellow smiled, "Excellent," grabbing the microphone, activating the P.A. system. "All hands, prep for Dimensional Jump.
      "This is Sentinel 117, we are heading to the bridge." The COM signal cut out.
      "Sir, EH Generator charged." Yelled Anderton.
      "The course is Epsilon 4, get us there now." Replied Bellow with a hint of pride in his voice.
      Anderton turned and brought up the destination, "Generator activated."
      Colorful light danced along the hull of the Invincible as the generator tore the hole.
      "Give them a going away present ladies and gentlemen." Bellow smiled, as he looked over to Smith, the weapons officer. "Deploy the Disruptor mine."
      "Sir," Replied Smith. Her hands tapped the delicately as she entered the access codes. "Mine away."
      Bellow smiled again, "Take us out Mr. Anderton."
      Anderton shifted the ships position, sending it straight through the hole. "We are...clear, generator deactivated." As the hole began to close a bright blue light blinked through before it closed completely. "Sir, Epsilon 4."
      "Bring it up." The screen blinked onto a large dark orb, burning patches every so often, but no beautiful green planet. "Where is Epsilon 4?"
      Hawk shook his head in disbelief, "According to the computer, that is Epsilon 4."
      "Impossible." All hands on the bridge sat in shock, even the smart mouthed marines where at lose for words.
      "Sir, incoming, from behind Prometheus!" Hawk punched up the view on the main screen.
      A Covenant flagship moved quickly, for a ship of its size, around the natural satellite. Red lights collected in lines along its hull as its plasma turrets charged.
      "Enemy is attacking, E.T.A., 1 minute."
      "Attack, all guns fire." Announced Bellow.
      The Invincible shuddered as all of her guns fired. Red-hot slugs flying at seven-tenths the speed of light flew, dead center, at the Covenant behemoth. As the rounds impacted the shields they flickered and fell, 3 rounds got through its shields, ripping its insides apart. Plasma could be seen dancing in space as it flowed from the ruptured conduits.
      Returning the gift, the Covenant flagship fired its particle laser. It cut quickly across the hull of the Invincible, taking the shields from 60% power to 0%; plasma bolts impacted quickly after wards. They washed over the hull only melting the first layer of armor.
      "Missile salvo, pods Alpha 1 through Iota 1!" Ordered Bellow. Plumes of exhaust and vapor erupted from the missile pods along the length on the ship. Nearly 500 missiles streaked towards the sleek enemy ship.
      The high explosive and armor piecing missiles explode on contact with the soft metal hull. Hundreds of mushroom clouds flared along side it, flames dancing in zero gravity as they wash over the ship. A couple of hundreds missiles where destroyed by the point defense lasers before they even got close to the ship.
      "The enemy sir, it's firing its primary weapon." Bellow stood, beads of sweat running down his wrinkled fore head, hoping, praying it would miss.
      The lasers cut into the side of the Invincible, piercing straight through to the other side like the armor was no more than just paper, almost severing a small section of the lower ship clean off. The laser was finally deflected as the Invincible shields blinked back on in a bright blue flash.
      "Sir, should I fire NOVA?" Asked Smith, worry present in her eyes.
      Bellow thought for a second, this would drain huge amounts of power, and if they missed, they wouldn't be around to regret it, but it had to be done. "Do it."
      "Repositioning now." The Invincible repositioned as blue lights collected near her nose.
      Bellow jumped up and pointed at the ship, "Fire!"
      An arrow of blue energy soared from the Invincible. The beam cut through everything that got in its way, no velocity lost.
      "Impact in 3...2...1." The arrow slammed into the Covenant ship. The ships shield's held for a split second, then fell, allowing the beam to gut the flagship. Atmosphere vented in all directions; the Covenant ship spun uncontrollably as grew, supplies, and plasma flew everywhere.
      "Reposition, cut the damn thing in half." Seconds after bellow gave the order the Invincible sunk, tearing the ship in half just as the beam cut out.
      The alien ship spun lazily in space as the last of the atmosphere spewed out of the huge gash in her hull.
      "Sir!" The covenant ship began charging its particle beam as she attempted to right herself.
      Captain Bellow's life flashed before his eyes. "No." The blue-green beam tore through the bridge of the Invincible, incinerating the occupants within milliseconds. Proceeding to cut through, gutting the ship, and killing hundreds of people in the blink of an eye.
      "All hands, abandon ship." Announced a cold female sounding recording. Wolf stopped in his tracks.
      "Wait," He said, spreading out his arms.
      The hall dimmed as lights in the shape of arrows lit up.
      "Follow them." John and the rest of the men followed Wolf as he ran down the hall towards the escape pods section.
      "How much further Wolf?" Yelled John.
      Wolf brought up a 3D display of the ship. "Not much further, just 50 more meters.
      "Chief!" Cortana yelled. 5 blips showed up on his display. John quickly had Cortana relay it to Wolf; both raised their weapons, ready to fire.
      Wolf and John exploded around the corner, guns leveled at Colonel Hikowa's head. "Sir?"
      Hikowa nearly fell over in surprise, "Hayter, what the hell are you doing here?"
      Wolf lowered his gun; they needed to wait for the marines to catch up anyways. "We-"
      "Who's that?" Interrupted the Colonel he raised his hand, pointing to John.
      "He...he's a Master Chief." Replied Wolf, lying through his teeth.
      Hikowa sighed, "So, the Navy has Sentinels too; we'll soon be out of a job."
      The ship shook again, almost knocking the soldiers over.
      "We should get moving sir, we can talk later." Grunted Wolf as he hopped up.      
      "Alien!" Announced Jackson, An Elite rounded a corner, cutting them off from the escape pods.
      "Spartan." Growled the Elite in a disgusted voice as it raised its plasma rifle.
      Wolf bolted for the Elite, "Go to hell!"
      "No!" Screamed the Elite, firing its rifle; rounds bouncing off of Wolf's shields.
      The others Sentinels and John fired there assault rifles as the Elite fired on Wolf.
      Hayter jumped into the air, drop kicking the Elite. The Half-ton of man and machine mixed with the 30 kmp he was running, shattered its shields and crushed its chest. The Elite flew backwards, smashing into a wall in a bloody heap.
      After they stopped firing, and had gathered the remaining marines, the men proceeded into the pod, John stood out side, rifle ready. "Get in." He yelled; grabbing Wolf by his belt, he threw him into the pod as he backed in himself.
      The pods shook as it accelerated out of the slot on the hull, no other pods followed them out.
      "They must be dead," sighed a marine as he sat back in his seat. "They're all dead!" He yelled, as he put his face in his hands and began to cry.
      A soldier looked over to Colonel Hikowa. "Sir, I don't want to die."
      Hikowa looked down at him, straight into his piercing green eyes. "Don't worry," he said as he patted him on the shoulder, "You won't die, I won't let you." The Sentinels and the Master Chief all looked at him, as if scolding him for giving the man a false promise, or at least one he could never keep.
      "Chief." Cortana popped back up onto John's HUD.
      "What is it Cortana?" Asked John as he leaned back, trying to relax, in his seat.
      Cortana brought up a display of the visible stars and their constellations. "Do you recognize any of these?"
      John squinted as he thought. "Yes, Orion's belt, the Little Dipper-"
      "Exactly, we are headed back into UNSC controlled space."





bungie.org