halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


THE QUEST FOR FREEDOM Prologue
Posted By: ThASuPaMaN8<ThASuPaMaN8@aol.com>
Date: 21 September 2002, 8:08 pm


Read/Post Comments

      On the flight down to what was San Diego, two marines whispered to each other.
      "So were just supposed to go down, capture the jewel and come back to Alpha base?" asked one marine by the name of Jebbs.
      "Yeh... we ain't got much of a chance though," said Drake as he looked out on the war barren landscape of the once beautiful city.  "I just hope to god that if we don't get it some other platoon will."
      "ALRIGHT TROOPS, HIT THE FLOOR AND KILL THOSE BASTARDS" said a staff sergeant when a pelican touched down on the barren landscape.
      As soon as touch down, the marines were barraged with white hot plasma fire from the palm trees 250 yards ahead.  All the marines rushed off as quickly as they could with the sergeant screaming in their ears.  They then dived into what were sewer pipes now war trenches to evade the incoming fire.  They layed hard on their backs against the wall until the fire ceased and everything was quiet. The wail of the banshees could be heard from above and the chatter of multiple grunts was heard from the trees.  The sergeant ordered electronics expert Drake to look over the ridge with a fiber optics wire. Drake got out this long wire with this small camera and inched it over the wall.
      Looking on the t.v. screen on his wrist, Drake then reported, "Two elites in elevated positions in the trees, I estimate from the chatter there are about six grunts around the base of the trees, we need one jackhammer missile probably"
      "Alright Jebbs get on it," replied the sergeant.
      Demo specialist Jebbs popped up from behind the barrier and aimed with his scope and waited for the elites to fire to see where they are. Two shows came from one tree and both missed him.  He let a rocket fly and it struck the base of the tree sending it flying 50 feet into the air along with the elite.  Four of the grunts went hurling through the air, one got his head smashed from a nearby tree, two went straight into a wall behind them and the other flew over the marines leaving a smoke trail over head.
      All of the sudden a green plasma bolt hit the arm of a rookie cadet, sending the plasma into his face and burning off his whole arm.  He screamed with pure agony.  The sergeant looked up and saw a banshee over head and another in a not too far distance.
      "BROKEN ARROW, BROKEN ARROW!" screamed the sergeant.
      The banshee turned around and made another pass with the other one right behind it.  They let another two molten shots out, one killing Drake, eating away at his chest and the other hit a car tire nearby melting it down into the street.  The banshees screamed past the platoon.  As the banshees started to turn to make another pass two missiles whizzed over head, one stuck a banshee on the jet and it exploded half the ship.  Metal could be heard wrenching as it fell into a flat spin into the palm trees crushing the two grunts and elite.  The other missile struck the banshee dead on and flaming debris went everywhere, while what was left of the banshee fell into a nearby department store.  The sergeant looked up and felt rain began pour on his face.  He saw one P-898 peregrine falcon flew over head and smiled with pride but then the plane was hit by six shots of plasma at one time jolting the plane off course and it hit a fire station.  All the sergeant could think about was "hunters..."  He sat there for a minute evaluating the situation and figured there were at least six or more hunters a kilometer from them.
      "Alright men, lock and load, were in roughneck territory, there are about six hunters a kilo from us.  Get in eagle formation, move out..."
      The marines filed out into two lines, one on one side of the street, the other on the other side.  They moved silently down the road looking for any signs of hunters approaching. All of them were looking for anything suspicious, and then the scout issued the command to stop.  The sound of clanking metal could be heard.  He crept forward and saw the glint of blue metal from the hunter patrolling the area.
      The scout hurried back and said, "There are seven hunters up ahead and six jackals.  One red elite is standing guard of the jewel."
      The sergeant surveyed the territory and he could see a three story warehouse, a playground, and a pizzeria.
      "Ok Johnson, Mahumet, and Raelech, get into the warehouse, fire at will.  Notha, Sanchez, Christon, and Lennox, take cover in the playground.  The rest, file out into the pizzeria.  Fire when enemy fire hits the warehouse, move out."
      Everyone crouched towards their positions. After a few minutes everyone was set.
The sergeant watched the squadron of covenant and waited for the signal from the snipers.  He readied is assault rifle as sweat beaded on his forehead. He anticipated the oncoming battle, he was sure his platoon was going to be obliterated, but he was ready to die in the name of freedom, and so were his men. 
      Then four consecutive shots could be heard from the warehouse and smoke came raining down on the on the hunters, three dropped over dead and the other keeled over.  The hunters looked around guns ready fast but couldn't tell where exactly the sniper fire originated from.  The luminescent glow from the cannons on their arms brightened as they charged up. Another five shots rang out killing four hunters and finished off the last hunter; the jackals then rushed out and started firing at the ware house.
      "AT THE EXPLOSION FIRE AT WILL!" screamed the sergeant.
      He then tossed a fragmentation grenade out, most of the jackals nearby dove out of the way but one was hit.  The force of the explosion knocked him on his ass but tore his shield of his body, arm and all.  The jackal cried out in pain, the wail from the jackal was like nails on a chalkboard.  Seeing this as their opportunity of attack, the marines ran out screaming guns blazing, taking cover wherever they can get it.  Three more shots from the snipers came but couldn't penetrate the shields of the jackals.  Bullets and plasma was all that filled the air.
      A faint THUMP could be heard from the playground, and then two mortars hit three jackals all of them were sent flying. The marines started closing in, the sergeant thought "Were gonna make it, GOD DAMN WERE DEFEATING THE COVENANT!!" Then the red elite made some kind of signal and a squadron of blue elites rushed out from behind a building.  The elites were dodging oncoming mortars and sniper fire and began to unleash torment upon the mako platoon.  Marines were dropping left and right.  The sergeant couldn't think of anything but "This is the end, were dead, we had them too.... At least we died for what was good"
      Then a covenant drop-ship came down from space.  The marines stared in horror at the thought of more covenant coming and the red elite getting away with the jewel. The marines looked up and all of them roughly said the same thing, "oh shit."  The sergeant sat down and looked up to the sun behind the clouds and tried to enjoy life for the last couple minutes he had left.
      Then about 500 yards off the ground, the whole back end of the drop-ship was torn off from a massive explosion, knocking down ALL the units fighting on the ground.  The flaming drop-ship then nosedived into the street; pavement was sent flying in all directions and finally stopped at a courthouse.  Most of the elites died from the crash, all of the troops stood in awed silence.  Then the red elite screamed and all of the blue elites and started fighting again.  The marines were caught off guard and got pounded in even more, looked like almost all was lost within this battle.  Then Jebbs ran over to the sergeant.
      "SARGE! LOOK AT THE DROPSHIP, SOME OF THEM SURVIVED!! MORE ARE COMING OUT!" exclaimed Jebbs.
      The sergeant stared and did notice movement from inside the drop-ship and screamed, "RETREAT! WERE OVERWHELMED HEAD BACK FOR ALPHA BASE, LETS GET SOME SUPRESSING FIRE HERE!"
      Then from the drop-ship, jumped out a single man.  The man was holding an assault rifle and was donned in brand new metallic green armor with a reflective visor.





bungie.org