halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


The Story of Elite 117
Posted By: Linda Scanlon<lscanlon518@attbi.com>
Date: 24 October 2002, 9:14 pm


Read/Post Comments

      Hello. What you are reading right now is the story of me, Elite 117 MNx5q, only living Elite out of the ten hundred created in litter number 190, 345, 790. But you humans care not about my past, and with good reason. The rituals of the Covenant are not to be understood by you dull-minded Earth creatures. Yes. I know about Earth. I am one of the few living Covenant who do. But that is not important, seeing as that I will not live much longer. This is my story:
      I was once a proud commander of the Covenant army. I was the best fighter in my class. I was an incredible marksman, and an excellent pilot. I progressed with surprising speed through the ranks, until I wore the bright gold armor of a commander. Now, up until recently, I had been relaxing and trying to find a suitable mate. Then one day, my platoon received a call from the Prophets, telling us that we were to stop a human craft, known as the Pillar of Autumn, from reaching Halo. We were already into zero-space (known as slipstream to you humans) in half a human day (four of ours). It was easy to follow your stinking, human trail. The hole you tore into normal space was so huge that it was almost suspiciously simple to track. We came out of the "slipstream" or whatever you call it before you and waited on the far side of the planet. Just as we planned, you came out of zero-space and hurtled towards Halo. Within minutes, our fleet was on you like a bunch of needlers on a slow grunt. Now I shall describe the account in first person, for a better, let's say, account.
      "Platoon 35097, you are cleared for launch." Said the ship's computer.
      "Affirmative. Disengaging in five." I said. "Alright, you cowardly weasels! It's time to rock and roll!"
      "Yes, sir!" my squad yelled back. I had a good squad, although I'd never tell them that. Consisting of twelve Grunts, eight Jackals, two minor Elites, and one major Elite, I had one of the smallest Platoons. And so I punched in the coordinates, and my boarding ship roared out of the bay of our cruiser, the Truth and Reconciliation. Soon, the computer announced that it was time to launch the boarding explosives. And with a bang, my little ship attached itself onto your big, hulking cruiser...
      "AAAHH!! Human! Aaahh!!" yelled one of my pathetic grunts. He ran back into the ship while your Marine chased him.
      "Oh, my God! Looks like we go an infestation!" whooped the young human.
      "Get it!" I yelled at my troops. Untranslated, it must have sounded rather like "Raraaaar!". We charged and soon the walls of your ship were covered with your men's blood. However, killing was not my objective. My orders were clear: reach the bridge, and stop the ship from making it to Halo. A small map on my wrist guided me. We went through the halls. I only brought my Elites. I had the rest bring out some Shades and set up a small barricade, preventing anything from going to or leaving the bridge. Finally, a big blue arrow indicated that we had reached it. I barged in, firing of random shots while my men did the aiming, hoping to take you by surprise. We did. I threw down my plasma rifle after a while and charged up my plasma sword, with which I am much more deadly.
      "Where is your commanding officer?" I bellowed. At first, no one answered and I wondered if I was being understood. But then an older human with graying hair said:
      "Right here." I smiled. This is a very unpleasant thing, even for the Covenant.
      "Turn this ship away, or die a merciless death."
      "It's too late. The ship has already been positioned to land on that ring world."
      "No. That will not happen." My voice became a growl. "Override the controls, human, or you will die this instant." At this remark, he seemed to straighten himself out a bit.
      "Well, then you will have to kill me, because this ship will not leave these coordinates." Then, something odd happened. The entire ship jolted, and we were bounced around. We were entering the atmosphere! I grew unforgettable angry. I had my crew restrain him as I killed each and every one of his men in front of his eyes. I made sure they begged and pleaded and still died. However, the ship was now extremely close to Halo. We had to get off.
      "Head back to our ship. Take him with you. The Prophets might want a new pet. I'll follow after I wreck this ship's controls. Let's go!" And with that they were off. Suddenly, a tiny human dropship flew by us. I extended my plasma sword fully. With a couple of graceful swishes the main onboard computers look like Swiss cheese. Satisfied, I then ran off to my ship.
      "Commander, we are ready to go. Just say the word." said the major Elite.
      I smiled again. "Let's go."

                  TO BE CONTINUED.





bungie.org