halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Justification, Part I
Posted By: Rixor<rixor87@hotmail.com>
Date: 8 September 2002, 11:30 pm


Read/Post Comments

The Master Chief walked calmly through the small corridor of the ship despite what was going on outside. Cortana patched him into the UNSC battlenet, but screened all but the transmissions sent to Admiral Stanforth. He listened as he prepped for his "launch". He knew what he had to do.

He was on a small cruiser, the UNSC Justification. It was one of the newer UNSC ships, built in the last year. It was small, but packed a punch with the same MAC system her downed sister ship the Pillar of Autumn had. Even though the Pillar of Autumn was built more than forty years before the Justification. The Justification was a lot like the Pillar of Autumn, only the Justification was much bigger. She was one of the few ships that were built on Earth, to defend her, and defend her she would.

Although the ship was strong, it lacked one thing the Covenant ships still held over the UNSC's head, shielding for entire ships. The UNSC figured out the shielding technology for small objects, but could not make a fusion reactor strong and small enough to fit aboard a single ship.

The ship did however have incredibly powerful engines. The small cruiser had the same engines as the 5 carriers left in the fleet, despite being only 1/3 their size.

Master Chief had regretted sending the people on Halo to their deaths. But he did what had to be done. All that was pointless now, he had to focus on Earth now. He entered the empty fighter bay; all the ships that should be docked were out getting turned to molten metal by the Covenant. He walked up to the window to look at Earth below.

He didn't feel as much anger as he did as he watched Reach get glassed, but then again, he didn't grow up on Earth. Nonetheless, he had to save his anger for the Covenant bastards he would soon fight. He felt the ship slow down and stop. "Good," he thought, "It's time." He walked over to the door control terminal. He pulled the manual door release and braced himself against the terminal. His sound filters immediately turned on as the extremely loud decompression commenced. In the middle of decompression, he jumped out from behind the terminal and was launched out of the bay.

He saw the Covenant carrier below. He had remember doing this very thing once before, but that was years ago. Cortana jammed the ship's radar, so they couldn't track him and think he was an incoming missile. The ship was traveling too fast, "Good thing for the thrusters," he thought as he activated them and started to follow the ship. He flew along side it until its pulse lasers fired at a damaged Frigate; he slipped inside the shielding when it was down to fire the pulse laser. The frigate, which was already listing towards the planet, turned to into a bright flash as the laser hit the fusion reactor. The frigate sacrificed itself not knowing its destruction would help save Earth.

Now he had to be careful and find an opening. He grabbed onto the ship and tried to find an airlock or other opening, something. He finally found something, only it wasn't what he wanted, it was the main launch bay for the ship's single ship fighters. "Oh well," he said to Cortana, "it'll have to do." He landed like a ghost in the upper corner of the bay.

He was unseen by any of the jackal patrols in the bay. He crept in the shadows until he found an exit. "These carriers are bigger than any Covenant ship I've ever been on," he said, "Cortana, can you get me a rough map of where the bridge is?" "Accessing ship computers-Ah, here we go." She uploaded a nav point on the Master Chief's screen. "It's a long way, try not to get us killed." Cortana said. The Master Chief smiled. He had gotten used to her witty remarks by now.

He had to hurry if he was to do any good for the fleet. He now burst into a full run; he didn't care if any patrols saw him, which they did. He snuck up behind do jackals and bashed their skull in. He was halfway there. Lucky for him the bridge wasn't at the front of the ship like human ships. He met little resistance, the Covenant didn't expect any human to be onboard, nor did they know about him.

He silently entered the bridge; he saw several elites in the pits below piloting the ship, and one gold elite above on the commander platform. He was barking orders to the pilots in the pits.

This would be tough to get capture the bridge. Everyone was busy bombarding the planet; they might not notice him at all. The Master Chief took that chance. He was like a ghost, silent and fast, he ran up the ramp to the platform and smacked the commander in the back on the neck. The elite's shields weren't on and the Master Chief heard the satisfying crunch of its vertebrae crumble.

The elites in the pits didn't hear, but they would soon become suspicious as to why they heard no barking from their commander. Master Chief jumped down into the pit on the right and killed the pilots. "Fools." he said to Cortana. He had counted on their shields being off, the Covenant thought they were safe from any humans deep inside their ship. They were safe from any normal human, but not many would call the Master Chief a normal human.

He ran around and unloaded his rifle into the rest of the pilots in the other pit, who now were barking about the gunshots. "Too easy," the Master Chief said. "Get up the platform fast, more might have heard the shots." Cortana told him. He did and uploaded her into the ship's computer. She took over immediately, and locked down the bridge. "Good," Master Chief said, "now, time for the fun part."





bungie.org