halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


English Coursework
Posted By: Ross Mills<y1millsr@fullbrook.surrey.sch.uk>
Date: 11 September 2002, 2:44 pm


Read/Post Comments

The explosion was enough to rip open a hole in the side of the object, luckily Reidlos was far enough away when the ship detonated, but he saw many of his comrades killed when the bomb went off. He would mourn later, there was no time. His thruster pack jetted him towards his target, the very hole that had just been opened.

He stepped into the strange environment, hard corners were everywhere, quite unlike the corridors of a Covenant facility. The colours were all strange, greys blacks and whites dominated the area. Perhaps the creatures are colour blind? Reidlos thought silently. Five floors had been ripped through with the explosion and he could see a zero gravity fire on the next floor down. So Reidlos decided to start on the deck he was on.

He strode down the cramped corridor searching for what he was looking for, the beasts' spacecraft, it would tell him where they dwelled from, so that he could rid their evil from the galaxy. He looked behind him, his squads, his friends, were a few feet away. They were the Elites, the best soldiers the Covenant had to defend themselves with, and now they were doing their job.

Reidlos turned another corner, it was dark here, there appeared to be some sort of extra lighting giving the area a red glow. He turned on his infra red scope in his heads up display, Reidlos could now see any danger quite well. Something caught the corner of his eye, he turned.

Reidlos saw the landmine just in time, he managed to duck behind a bulkhead before it detonated, smearing his friends across the deck plate. Now he was angry, he was going to rid the galaxy of these demons as the Priests had told him to. Reidlos remembered the first time that intelligence had come in on these evil creatures, he recalled the words the Priests had said:

"Their destruction is the will of the gods...and we are their instrument."

He knew the demon would come to check on its own handiwork, so he quickly found a place where light was sparse and hid there, waiting.

Reidlos saw the creature stalk down the corridor of its lair. This one was the first he had ever seen. It was a few feet shorter than he was, but it was still taller than he had been told. He saw a hard exoskeleton armour surrounding the beast, of a colour and shine unlike the environment it was found in. The creature had a helmet on, which covered its own face and reflected all so that its flesh could not be seen.

"Clever", thought Reidlos, "Using scare tactics to make me think it was bigger than it is, it may be very small outside its suit."

He saw that the demon had a weapon, he had heard from the Priests that these creatures carried weapons that pierced skin instead of using holy blue fire. He had to protect himself from being killed by the beast.

He moved, slowly at first, to point his pistol at the demon, Reidlos had had it blessed before he left his ship to help him on the crusade. The creature paused and glared at him, even in the vacuum of space Reidlos was sure he had heard it growl. At this range, he would not miss, the demon would be destroyed by the power of the divine fire before the Elite's shield failed, but Reidlos was not prepared for what happened next. The creature let go of its weapon and pounced.

It hit Reidlos before he had a chance to fire, and the force of the blow pushed them both backwards, spinning in the microgravity. Reidlos saw that his shield had been reduced to a half in his heads-up display. The demon slammed his fist into Reidlos' gun, and he was forced to drop it, screaming curses at the beast. He wished the creature could hear his words.

Reidlos retaliated, he kicked the demon in the midsection, and saw a shimmer.

"Shielding", he thought, "I wondered if they had stolen from the Gods, now I know."

He saw the creature tumble backward from the force of the blow, then watched disappointed as it righted itself against the ceiling of the lair. Reidlos attempted to take the initiative and swung as the creature tried to right itself, but the beast ducked a fraction of a second before the blow connected.

The demon reached out with it's hands, More pointed than mine, like claws. Reidlos noted. But luckily both of their shields slid frictionlessly off of each other, although the momentum of the creature threw them bouncing down the passage. The creatures hoof caught on an outcropping and seemed to bend out of shape. Reidlos silently hoped that it had injured it, then noticed that they had stopped, and the beast had gained stability with it's hoof.

Reidlos quickly pushed himself away from the demon to increase the distance between them. He caught the outcropping on the other side of the passage, then turned to strike the beast again. It jumped towards the creature, but it jumped at him too.

Reidlos thought to himself, "Looks like it wasn't injured after all."

They collided, the demon struck Reidlos with both claws, but his shield took the brunt of the attack. Reidlos grabbed and threw it against the wall. Unfortunately he neglected to stabilise himself and he collided again with it. He had it pinned.

The creature struggled like a trapped animal, it swung its clawed fist, hard, at Reidlos. He didn't think the demon could be so powerful and doubled over in pain. He fell backwards, and out of the corner of his eye saw his weapon. He reached out and grabbed it.

The creature saw that Reidlos was going to fire and jumped, just as Reidlos aimed at the creature it snatched hold of his arm, he attempted to remove the creature but the claw was too strong, he could not move its joints.

He wrestled for control of his holy pistol, the gun pointed at Reidlos, then at the beast.

This creature was as strong as he was.

They tumbled and rebounded off of the floors, ceilings and walls of the lair. The creature was too strong, Reidlos thought that he might not be able to kill the demon. Then it forced a draw in the fight, the pistol pointed up between them, if it fired then the gods would bless them both. He knew that a shot at point-blank would collapse both of their shielding, they would both die.

The demon quickly struck with its forearm and arm joint over Reidlos' wrist then struck him in the skull. For a moment Reidlos was vulnerable, this was all that the beast needed. It turned the gun towards Reidlos and fired.

Time seemed to slow down for him. In the split-second that it took the fire bolt to leave the pistol and strike his helmet he was able to think about his caste, hope he had helped them in the crusade, and say a quick prayer to the gods in his head.

Reidlos was still alive, the shields had taken most of the damage, but now they were down and he was vulnerable. He swung at the creature, but it had already begun its final attack. It grabbed Reidlos with its left claw, and its right claw struck his chin, he was dazed for a second while the beast attacked his throat and chest plate. Three final blows to Reidlos' helmet and he felt himself slipping into unconsciousness. Reidlos' heads-up display showed a leak in his helmet, even if he recovered he would not make it back to the pod.

He felt himself being pushed away, floating for a few seconds. He saw a flash of blue light, felt pain, terrible agony all over his body. Reidlos swung his arms, trying to find a handhold, he felt himself fading. Then he was gone.

Reidlos was with the gods, he didn't even feel the next plasma bolt hit his body.





bungie.org