halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


An Undying Hope
Posted By: Matt James<raptor-22@att.net>
Date: 14 March 2003, 6:15 PM


Read/Post Comments

And yet somehow they still fight with all they have, never knowing when or where they are going to die, until the last minute. 5-minute grief. That is all they receive but they deserve so much more. No more family, friends, or a peaceful night's rest. This is the story of Marines fighting for what they believe in, fighting with an undying hope.

"WAAAAHH!" the scream of a grunt echoed in the snowy valley. This was the battlefield, a distant part of Halo that was important, if winning was important to any of these men. Capturing this area meant capturing pretty much all of Halo, unless there was something else. Nobody knew. "Sir, we're taking heavy fire from those two Wraiths to our Northeast and South, they have also jammed our communications so we can't call for reinforcements!" said Private Jones, squinting from the heavy snowfall. "Damn! We're toast if someone doesn't think of something.", sighed Master Sergeant McKinley. McKinley has been in the service for 22 years and he is one of the best out there. "Sir! Someone's coming!" yelled one of the soldiers. Off in the distance a tall structure began to fade into view from over the hill. "Sir, it looks like a Spartan!" cried Jones, with a very cheery tone. "God Almighty we've been saved!" said Lieutenant Keith. Keith was one of the brighter Marines of the bunch; he never failed to find some random way of getting his platoon out of a sticky situation. "BOOOM!", a plasma mortar crashed right next to a group of soldiers off to the East, killing three of them. The Spartan finally walked up to the battlefield, ducking as a plasma grenade whizzed over his head.

"Good to see you sergeant, I'm Major Matt 928. Sorry it took me so long but I was ambushed by a scout group of Covenant and had to take 'em out. Here's some supplies" Matt 928 dropped a fairly large box of plasma grenades to the ground and also dropped 3 needlers and some needler ammo
next to them. "You never fail to amaze me Matt 928, and just in the nick of time to. We have lost 1/4 of our platoon and we could really use your help right now." said Mckinley calmly. "BOOOM!" another mortar landed on the side of the valley to the West of McKinley's platoon, causing a barrage of rocks to come careening down the valley. "Well, let's get to work!" yelled Matt.

Sergeant McKinley started yelling out orders while Matt 928 took 5 of the best out of the platoon to help him carry out a covert mission. Mckinley, Jones, and Keith each took two plasma grenades and hucked them towards the three groups of Covenant that were nearest to them. The only survivors where two grunts and a jackal. The grunts were easily dispatched with needlers but the jackal took awhile longer to kill. With all of this fighting suddenly erupting on the battlefield Matt 928 and his 5 men were able to sneak around to the rear of the first Wraith tank. "I'm going to kill the pilot and board the tank, you men cover me." said Matt quietly, all men nodded their heads and took combat positions. "BRRTRATTR!" the sound of Matt 928's MA5B assault rifle echoed inside the valley. The Wraih tank stopped and Matt pulled out the Elite's body and tossed it onto the ground. "Grab his grenades and use them at will." said Matt. His body disappeared inside of the cockpit. All of a sudden gobs of torn, purple flesh flew out of the cockpit of the tank. "There's his head!" yelled Matt. "HMMMMM" the Wraith started up again and Matt 928 took aim with the main mortar gun and charged it. "FFFWIP-BOOOM!" a green burst exploded on the valley wall just above the soldier's heads. "Sir! We've got company!", yelled Specialist Jacobs. All of a sudden the figures of two Hunters faded into view, the glow of their fuel rod guns wasn't a pretty sight to be seeing right now. "Get down, NOW!", yelled Matt 928 at the top of his lungs. His heap popped up out of the cockpit and two frag grenades were hurled at the Hunters. It landed right by them and right before they went off Matt fired a mortar right at them. "BANG, BANG, KABOOOM!" the explosion was so big that it caused and avalanche to fall on a group of Covenant battling McKinley's platoon. "Thwack!" a splatter of orange hit the side of the Wraith. "Man, I just had this thing washed!" said Matt 928 jokingly, to lighten the mood a bit.

Look for the rest of "An Undying Hope: The Cringe" soon. . . .





bungie.org