halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Halo 2: Return of Death, Part 2
Posted By: Lord Dagon<shadowlord@nc.rr.com>
Date: 22 October 2002, 10:26 pm


Read/Post Comments

... a large Covenant assault force holding his men hostage! Black surveyed the scene quickly: 2 Blue Elites, 2 Red Elites, 8 Jackals, 2 Hunters, 9 Grunts, and 3 of those new gorilla looking creatures. Slowly he brought up his rifle and laid low in a brush, looking for the right target.

"An Elite? No. A Hunter? Maybe. A Grunt? Definitely not. A Jackal? No. Those monkey things? Maybe." Thought Black to himself as he decided which target to pick off.

He quickly decided "monkey thing" and fired, this would prove to be a mistake and a providence. The beast roared as it was hit, the bolt punctured its chitinous armor and exploded its chest, splattering blood and chunks of hairy flesh everywhere. All of the force was in chaos, except the Elites who witnessed from where the shot fired and rushed towards Black. Black readied his pistol and activated his camouflage. The Elites, not seeing any thing turned around and looked elsewhere. Black crept up behind a Red Elite, was about to whack him in the neck, but unfortunately stepped on a twig, crushing it and alerting the Elite, which swung his Plasma Rifle where he heard the snap, narrowly missing Black. Black fired four times in to the creature's head, causing its shields to flicker once, twice, fail, than the final shot killed it.

"God damn, what am I going to do now?" thought Black to himself as his camo faded.

However his question was soon answered by a shotgun blast to the other Red Elite. It was Blue 2. Blue 3 covered his flank with AR fire and Blue 1 gave the Hunters some hell with the new Battle Rifle. Black fired at the remaining Elites. The aliens, on the other hand, were not so organized, running here and there, screaming for mercy, shooting at the Spartans sporadically, the works. There was only two or three left when a Hawkeye Dropship arrived, blasting the surviving aliens to bits with its auto cannons. The Spartans collected the boxes of ammunition that they had stashed early and headed onto the Dropship. It appeared that is was flying via the autopilot, so Blue 1 took the controls and headed for Paladin of Night.

"Sir! Carrier is destroyed, picking up a transmission from Drathan Prime!" screamed Foley.

"Patch me through Lieutenant." Replied the Captain.

"This is Black 9 to Paladin of Night, requesting permission to dock." Crackled Black 9's voice.

"Permission granted Black, when you board I want you on Bridge to debrief you."

"Sir! My team?" Queried Black.

"Have them stay below deck and assist the Marines in their combat exercises."

"Aye Sir!"

As the Spartans stepped of the Hawkeye a group of technicians ran over to make diagnostics, copies of the recorded battle viewings, and inject the Spartans with a vital muscle stimulant that reduced tension after combat. Black ordered his team to go to the Marine barracks and drill/assist them in their exercises, Black, however, ran to the bridge.

"Sir! Reporting as ordered!" Black snapped a quick salute to the Captain.

"At ease son, I want you here to ask you a question." Drearily said the Captain.

"Sir?"

"ONI has information that the Covenant have located Earth. Two days ago a Covenant armada headed toward Earth destroyed an ONI prowler, in Slipstream. This doesn't necessarily mean they are on a warpath to Earth, but it is very likely considering the Covenant never change course in Slipstream."

"What has this to do with me sir?"

"You and your team, are going to board a Covenant craft and use its weapons against the armada. Three other Spartan teams will be doing the same to other Covenant ships. The legendary Master Chief will be assisting you with Cortana, the other teams have also been supplied with Smart A.I.s. However, ten more teams will remain on Earth to repel invaders, as we speak they are preparing defenses, as well as evacuating all citizens on to the Omega Class Transport ships to escape to the Yuriti System. ONI predicts we have a 84% chance of winning if the Covenant pass near Jupiter, if they do ONI estimates at LEAST a fourth of the Covenant armada will be destroyed by the gravity powered MLCs and fusion mines near Jupiter. If they don't pass near Jupiter are chances are reduce to 67% only because of you Spartans and Earth's MLCs and Lunar Cannon. The scientist Jonathan Hootman has created a new weapon that detonates a magnetic shell, similar to the MAC cannon, in space, this shell creates a warp in space so powerful it produces a small black hole. This genius also is going to have hundreds holographic ships posted away from Earth to lure the Covenant farther from Earth so he can fire the shell and suck all the Covenant in without causing damage to the planet. But in order for the Covenant to take the bait, a Covenant flagship must transmit a regroup and follow order, thus you and the other Spartan teams must capture a flagship to lure the Covenant toward the Holo-Ships... Whoo..."

"But sir, how will us Spartans escape the black hole?" Black timidly asked.

"Jonathan has proposed that you use the Covenant's Slipstream methods to travel back to Earth, he says that is impossible for the Covenant to remember all the Slipstream calculations and that they must keep a record of those calculations in the ship, you are to find those records and use them to escape." Answered the Captain.

"And if there are no records?" Black asked.

"That is not an option Black." Replied Captain Yagrum.

"Nightshade! Baker!" Yelled the Captain

"Yes sir?" They replied in unison.

"Commence Cole Protocol, charge reactors to 150%, and plot a Slipstream course to Earth!"

"Yes Sir!" Once again in unison.

Suddenly a Klaxon wailed for proximity alert, a course shudder could be felt throughout the ship and explosive decompression was heard as well.

"What the HELL is going on?!" Demanded the Captain.

"SIR, A COVENANT FLAGSHIP HAS MATERIALIZED OUT OF SLIPSTREAM!" Cried the entire bridge crew in unison.

"Excellent." Thought Black...



Author's Note: I made this story using the comments Wado, Gruntkiller, and el_halo_Diablo made; and if it's boring don't worry, because I had to make this a boring story to set up the next part. -Lord Dagon





bungie.org