halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Revolution: Part 9 The Winning Punch
Posted By: Gruntkiller<ttavenor@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: 19 September 2002, 12:14 am


Read/Post Comments

      The MC opened the door to find several armed guards who were trying to get into the room. John lifted his rifle and put a bullet through its head, he then turned and shot at the second one, a grunt, The grunt pulled out a grenade a threw it at John. John moved out of the grenades way and pumped the grunt full of lead, behind John the grenade exploded destroying most of the comm. equipment.

      John began to run down the halls of the shipyard, killing any covenant unlucky enough to get in his way. John reached the door to the yard and opened it. Out side hundreds of covenant fired upon the trenches where the remaining strike group laid. The nearest auto-gun turned towards John and began to fire; John lifted his gun and destroyed the gun with what seemed to be close to a full clip of plasma tipped bullets.

      Within seconds he was under fire from the covenant and the remaining auto-guns. John kept jumping from cover to cover while continuously firing trying to open up a window for the strike group to use. Then Brigs jumped up from the trench and fired off a rocket at a group of covenant and then another at an auto-gun, both of the rockets found their marks. Brigs hauled out his AR and began to fire upon the remaining covenant. Brigs' fire was soon followed by the guns of the strike group all firing as one, completely destroying the auto-guns and slaughtering many of the covenant.

      The sky suddenly began to turn black, many of the soldiers both covenant and human looked up to see what was happening. Hundreds of drop ships descended from the sky; sniper fire began to rain down upon the covenant soldiers below killing almost all of them. All of the drop ships began to land opening their hatches and setting their troops loose upon the enemy. Several of the drop ships where disengaging tanks, warthogs, and ghosts. All of the troops began to yell in one battle cry as they began to rush the building turning anything they encountered into a bloody mess. The halls of the shipyard where crowded as some rebel engineers began to open the hatches to the building bay where the covenant ships where being built.

      "Sir drop ships are landing near all of our targets our troops seem to be winning the battle, we should begin to load up this ship and get into orbit," said Cortana.

      "Ok," replied the chief, "all squads load what ever weapons you can find onto the ships where getting out of here."

      John opened a door, which led into the building yard. He opened the door he was met by a huge covenant cruiser at least 2.5 k in length. The purple ship seemed to be completed but according to intel only the cryo bays where left to be built. The ship was a purple color and about 800m high. The troops filed into the yard and stared in amazement at the cruiser and began to search the yard for any covenant that may have taken shelter there.

      "Sir, all the useable weapons and vehicles from the weapons factory have been taken and will be loaded onto the ship when they arrive," said Cortana, "just go into the ship and find a place where I can pilot the ship from."

      "Ok," replied the chief as he climbed up a ladder that led to a hatch in the ships hull. The insides of the ship where just like the truth and reconciliation which John remembered too well, the cramped corridors the vast docking bays and the winding passages, all bringing back memories of halo to John as he walked towards the bridge followed closely by several technicians and a couple soldiers.

      John walked into a hall with his rifle ready to take out any remaining covenant that took cover in the ship, instead he found two elites who had taken off their helmet and raised their arms in surrender. The soldier next to John a Marine shot one of the elites to death while screaming "You killed my family, go to hell you bastard!"

      John grabbed the Marine and took his gun away from him, for a second their eyes made contact through John helmet he could see the rage in the soldiers eyes and the vengeance that he desired, "These aren't the ones your after, take your rage out on a real enemy," said John, "go sit down and take a break."

      John then walked over and looked down at the bloody body of an elite on the ground the other elite was staring at John trembling in fear that he would meet the same fate.

      "Take him to the cells and lock him up," said John as he looked at the elite, "he may have some interesting information for us."

      The rest of the journey to the bridge was uneventful. The MC followed by the technicians and the soldiers entered the bridge which had two pits one on each side, the pits where filled with stations but up at the front of the bridge their was a large holographic map and a series of control panels this was the captains seat. John walked up and inserted Cortana's chip into the computer while the technicians all sat down in the stations in the pits.

      Cortana's holographic image appeared above the control panel, "All the ships basic functions are functional and the weapons and engines are coming online now. OK once the vehicles are on board we can proceed to orbit to assist the fleet in destroying this planet."

      "The ship is secure we have taken 4 covenant prisoners with 0 friendly casualties," said a voice over the comm. "The ship is unlocked and we can leave this place once the hatches are sealed and the doors to this place are opening."

      "Good job marine hurry up and get the remaining soldiers in," said Cortana.

      "OK," said the marine.

      "Our engine systems should be charged in a minute just sit down and relax, its almost over," said Cortana to John as he stared at the maps on the control panel.

      "All other sites are secure the others are loading up their ships and preparing to rejoin the rest of the fleet," crackled Hawks over the comm. "You may extract yourself and your troops from the planets surface whenever you are ready."

      "Rodger, we are preparing for extraction," replied Cortana, "Our engines are charge and the gates are open were out of here."

      Just then the cruiser began to rumble causing the MC to sit down, the ship was lifting from the Building yard into the air through the open gates on the roof of the building. As the ship raised the ride became smoother and smoother until it was completely stable. As the ship became higher and higher the sky became lighter and then darker as they entered orbit.

      "We have achieved orbit proceeding to join the rest of the fleet," said Cortana.

      "Rodger, good thing you made it when you did according to our scanners the area around the yard is swarming with Covenant who would be more than happy to blow your brains out." Said Hawks. "Over and out."

      The cruiser came in sight of the fleet who where all pointed towards the planet ready to destroy it. Several minutes later the cruiser joined them and turned to bring their guns to bear on the planet, several more ships mostly cruisers joined them but among the group was one assault carrier a valuable possession.

      "OK all ships open fire at your own discretion," said Hawks.

      "Opening fire," said Cortana.

      Hundreds of balls of super heated plasma and huge shells all flew towards the planet as one huge volley followed by another before the first hit the ground, The ground on the planet turned black and huge explosions covered its surface, then the second volley hit causing even fore destruction, this continued until the hole planet was black and covered by explosions, then it was deemed "Uninhabitable".

      "Ok all ships will withdraw to Aristol 4, complete success," Said Hawks over the comm.

      Onboard every ship celebrations were being held for this was the first successful assault on a covenant planet. Both covenant rebels and marines held up bottles of drink and threw their helmets into the air in celebration, as the fleet traveled through slip space.

Next: Part 10: An Unwanted Surprise





bungie.org