halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Revolution: Part 6 Hitting Where it hurts
Posted By: Gruntkiller<ttavenor@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: 8 September 2002, 4:13 pm


Read/Post Comments

      The covenant rebels and the UNSC began negotiations almost immediately after the battle for the UNSC frigate "Athens."
During this time many important technical advances took place through the combination of both covenant and human technology, such as the new AR 2, which used plasma tipped bullets, which literally tore through armor. This weapon is now in mass production and is being used by both covenant and human forces.

      Among these advances a new order was formed called the Spartan order, this only contained the best of the best of both covenant and human forces. They use a new suit that is a combination of both covenant and human tech. This order is led by the best soldier the galaxy ever knew, John, Spartan 117, the Master Chief.

~

2 months after the battle for the Athens

      John looked on as an elite and a human both Spartans fought inside a boxing ring, the elite, colonel shred, appeared to have the upper hand until the human, sergeant Jones, managed to uppercut Shred, knocking him out clean.

      "Good job Jones, work on that blocking." said John as he helped pull Shred on to the ground.

      "What just happened," asked Shred as he began to revived and put an ice pack on his head.

      "You've just been knocked out by sergeant Jones," said John.

      "Good fight Shred," said Jones as he took off his gloves.

      The comm. suddenly crackled, "John please report to the briefing room."

      "On my way," said John wondering what it could be this time.

~

      John walked up the halls of the UNSC carrier "Argentina" with a steady pace, his mind lately kept flashing back to Halo and the many marines that he had led to their death in the nightmarish battles against the covenant. He could never seem to forgive himself for not saving any of his brothers in arms. But each time his thoughts strayed to Halo he had to try to forget it for that would be using a conscience, something he wasn't supposed to have.

      John walked into the briefing room to find several UNSC and covenant officers, including general Sears, "Good to see you again." said Sears as John took a seat at one end of the table.

      "Good to see you," said John. "So what did you call me for, you know I was supposed to be teaching advanced level 5 melee tactics to some of the new Spartans."

      "Well this is much more important than driving the butts of guns into dummies heads," said a UNSC officer standing up at the other end of the table, "Allow me to introduce myself, My name is Hawks, Captain Hawks, and I will be briefing you and the rest of you here on our latest mission straight from HQ."

      OK thought John as he looked at Hawks, who must have been nearing the end of his career judging by the gray hair and weathered look on his face but still seemed to be brave and hardened.

      "Our mission is to take out a covenant planet that seems to be covered in shipyards and weapons factories," said Hawks, "if we take this planet out we will cripple their supply for new ships and weapons, let alone decrease their morale immensely. Any questions so far?"

      "How are we supposed to do this they definitely have orbital defenses, and they are going to call the Covenant fleet the minute he come within range of their sensors." Asked John.

      "That's where you and your Spartan's come in, John," said Hawks, "we feel confident we can sneak several drop ships into the atmosphere without being noticed. Those drop ships will head towards the comm. center and shut down all signals to both the enemy fleet and the planets orbital defenses. Then our main combat group will be dropped on the planets surface and will neutralize all covenant forces."

      "Why don't we just shut down their comm. center and then bombard them from space," said Sears.

      "We will not do that because intelligence reports that there are several covenant cruisers nearing finish. If we succeed we can take those cruisers along with new weapons and any covenant willing to join our cause." Said Captain Hawks in a tried voice.

      All of the people in the briefing room seamed to like the plan even John felt that it was worth the risks. "So when do we go?" asked John.

      "Your have 48 hours to ready your troops," said Hawks, "your dismissed John all the rest of you stay there is still something I want to talk to you about."

      John walked out the door and began to walk back to his troops quarters left thinking how they where going to pull this off.

~

      John stepped into the Spartan quarters and yelled out "All Spartans report to the troop briefing room immediately."

      All the Spartan filed into the troop briefing room and sat down in chairs which where set up like a lecture theatre. Up front John stoop watching all the marines and elites sit down and talk to each other. Then John began to explain their mission.

      "In 48 hours we will be dropped into an enemy comm. center on a covenant planet, our job is to shut down all communications between it the covenant fleet and the planets orbital defense." Said John "After this is complete we will join the regulars to secure the weapons factories and shipyard on the planet, once the yards are secure all useable weapons and any covenant willing to join our forces will be loaded up onto the ships in the shipyard, which we will use as our ride off the planet. All clear?"

      "Yes Sir!" yelled the Spartans in unison.

      "Good, I suggest you all go and ready your armor and weapons." Said John, "Dismissed!"

~
48 hours later

      John walked towards the covenant rebel drop ship that was repainted to look like one of the covenant army. From his left side ran General Sears came up.

      "Here," said Sears handing John a chip, "its Cortana I thought you might need her down on the surface."

      "Thanks" said John, "I was wondering if id get her back."

      "Good luck, if you need any support just call me on the comm. All my troops will be there in minutes." Said Sears.

      Then he ran off to a ship painted green on the other side of the docking bays.

      John walked up to his drop ship to see a line of twelve troops consisting of a mixture of covenant and marines, among them stood Shred and Jones who stood next to each other, their where more troops coming too but they would take other drop ships down to the surface.

      "Load up!" yelled the MC, as he walked over to the pilots seat got in and closed the hatch.

      When he buckled up he popped the chip containing Cortana into his helmet.

      "Hello again," said Cortana, "Ill fly the ship just sit back and relax."

      "Ok, you know our course," said John.

      "Of course I do, I was briefed on it to," replied Cortana.

      The comm. came to life and said "Spartan 117 you are clear to proceed to the LZ."

      "Rodger, all systems active and heading out," said John.

      The drop ship lifted off the ground and flew out the docking bay under the control of Cortana followed by 5 more drop ships.

      "This suit has a lot of new features" said Cortana "your motion tracker has been updated to a life sign detector, you will be able to see covenant standing still now too."

      "I know all the features of this thing already." Said John.

      "Oh ok, T-minus 5 minutes till we reach the LZ." Said Cortana.

      "All troops ready your weapons 5 minutes till we reach the LZ, we will have the advantage of surprise." Said John through the comm. as he put a clip into his AR and turned off the safety.

      "Where entering the atmosphere, so far we haven't been noticed." Said Cortana.

      The drop ships flew over the planet, which did not appear to have any major population centers. instead it was covered with factories and shipyards. The drop ships reached the planets comm. center, which was basically a large square building with several huge antennae coming out of the top of it. All of the drop ships landed near the center on a large space of what appeared to be pavement. When the ships landed several unarmed grunts ran towards the ships to lead them to the hangers. Then all of the hatches opened up and the Spartans jumped out opening fire on the grunts, turning them into a bloody mush in seconds.

      "LZ secure all troops move up!" yelled out the MC.

      The gunshots aroused the comm. centers security and within seconds there where 20 elites running out the main entrance towards the Spartans, "Kill the intruders," yelled a red elite who appeared to be the squad commander. The Spartans in turn began to fire upon the elites. Their plasma tipped bullets ate away at the enemies' shields and tore through their flesh, leaving most of the elites dead in seconds.

      The firefight between the remaining elites and the Spartans ended quickly leaving no Spartan casualties.

      The Spartans ran towards the comm. exchanging fire with several-armed covenant that perched on top of the building. All the Spartans made it to the building and began to open the door when some sirens began to go off. Almost immediately several elites and grunts began to run towards them from a nearby building, the Spartans turned around and blew them all to hell leaving a couples puddles of flesh and blood.

      "The comm. centers control room is on the top floor of the building. I'll upload a nav point to show you the way." Said Cortana.

      "Ok, good job Cortana." Said John as the nav point appeared on his HUD saying 200m. "Lets move out all teams follow me!"

      As the Spartans moved up the hall they saw several grunts and elites all without armor on run towards the centers armory, The MC thought that they where probably workers and technicians and came up with a plan.

      "All teams stay here and cover our back, Shred, Jones, come with me," said John.

      They crept up the hall towards the entrance to the armory and stopped just to the side of the door, "Ok on three we all throw one grenade into the armory towards their grenade and ammo crates, once the grenades are in their we fall back to the rest of the group." Said John as he pulled the pin on a grenade but held the spoon back. "One, Two, Three!"

      The three Spartans ran up to the door, which opened when they got close to reveal about 30 grunts and 20 elites, they threw their grenades into the room, the minute the grenades left their hands they ran back to the rest of the group.

      Inside the room one of the grunts picked up the grenade with a curious look on his face, "Ha! Their throwing some kind of rock at us!" those where the last words of that grunt, right after he finished his sentence the grenade went off vaporizing him and setting off the crate of plasma grenades right next to him, this combined with the other grenades turned the armory into a large molten hole.

      "Ok lets head up to the control center." Said the MC.

      The squad reached the control center without meeting any major opposition, John opened the door to find several grunts with charged plasma pistols cowering in the corner of the room, the MC threw in a plasma grenade at the group ant step out of the way of there shots, in a blue explosion all the grunts where dead and they had taken the control center.

      The Spartans filed into the room and quickly shut down all communications to the Covenant fleet and the orbital defenses.

      The MC then opened up a comm. channel to the Argentina "You may move in for faze two, repeat all orbital defenses are offline you may move in."

      "Rodger, we will pick you guys up and the LZ." Answered Hawks.

Next: part 7 striking fear





bungie.org