halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Revolution 2 Return of the Forerunner: Part 1 - Discovery
Posted By: Gruntkiller<ttavenor@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: 22 October 2002, 11:22 pm


Read/Post Comments

      It has been 150 years now since John savior of the galaxy died but with his death new life arose, hundreds of new technologies were discovered and hand in hand the covenant and the humans conquered the galaxy establishing hundreds of new colonies and restoring many destroyed ones. Earth was a major population base now for covenant and humans.

But in more recent years a rumor arose among the religious community, strange anomalies traveling through deep space that could never be explained and a whisper of a nameless evil coming to reclaim its name. Many said that the old covenant prophecies were coming true, that they would join their enemies and together be sacrificed to the Gods.

The outskirts of the Kay system

      A long arrow shaped cruiser named the Kang sped through space on a routine patrol of the area; it was a fairly old combination of covenant and human technology, the only real up to date item upon it was the sensor system.

      "Report," said captain Martin as he smoked a pipe, he was wearing a gray uniform much like the old UNSC issue, along its left side their were several medals all of which he had won in battles against rebels.

      "Same as last time nothing," said the grunt intelligence officer, "What do they expect to find on the outskirts of deep space anyways."

      "Not a clue theirs nothing surrounding this system for 3 light-years," replied Martin.

      "Wait im picking up an abnormal energy signal coming from sector WEH-156, may I suggest we investigate," said the intelligence officer.

      "Ok its not like we have anything better to do," said Martin.

      The Kang quickly changed direction and sped off to sector WEH-156. A half hour passed without any significant event but that was all about to change.

      "Sir were closing in upon the source we are within visual range," said the officer.

      "Ok, good put it on screen," said Martin as he breathed out smoke.

      On the screen their seemed to be a small ship shaped like a cigar. It reflected light but seemed to be dead in space.

      "What the hell is it," said Martin, "I want all weapons online it may be some sort of rebel ship."

      "Sir were receiving an incoming signal," said the communications officer.

      Suddenly the comm. channel began to let off a strange sound and then their was a deep voice that seemed to commands a lot of power, "We are the Forerunner, we have come to reclaim what is ours, all who oppose us shall be destroyed." Then the comm. channel closed.

      "O, Crap," said captain Martin, "open up that comm. channel."

      "Sir I can't trace the channel its almost as if it never existed," said the comm. officer.

      "Sir I'm picking up a energy build up," said the intelligence officer.

      "All shields online prepare to take damage," yelled out Martin as he grabbed onto a nearby rail.

      On the screen two neon blue bolts left the Forerunner ship and sped towards the Kang.

      "Sir impact in 5," yelled out the intelligence officer.

      The two bolts passed straight through the Kang's shields and slammed into the ships side almost immediately destroying it. Inside captain Martin and the entire crew were vaporized as the bolts exploded, the only thing that survived the blast was the distress beacon, which floated out into space and began to transmit a SOS signal to the Kay system.

Earth

      Admiral Johnson sat at his desk sorting out some paper work for a newly commissioned cruiser. His hair was graying along the sides and his face was weathered. Suddenly a phone in front of him rang, disturbing his train of thought, he picked up the receiver and put it to his ear.

      "Hello," said Johnson.

      "Sir you have to get down to conference room A5 immediately," said an elite on the other end of the line.

      "What is this about," asked admiral Johnson.

      "You will be told when you get down here," said the elite who then hung up.

      Johnson got up from his chair and walked out the door to the conference rooms. As he walked down the halls he stared at the pictures of ships currently in commission for the navy among them was the Kang.

      To get to the conference rooms he crossed across the lobby were in the middle stood a large bronze statue of John the Spartan, Johnson stared up at the statue as he walked by.

      "I hope it's not too bad," thought Johnson as he entered a door on the other side of the lobby that led to the conference rooms.

      When he reached room A5 he walked in and sat down, all around the table there were both covenant and human officers talking to each other in exited voices.

      A man at the far side of the table stood up on his name tag it said his name was Erik, "Good morning everybody," said Erik, "as most of you have heard the patrol ship Kang was recently destroyed on the outskirts of the Kay system, but usually that would not be reason to call a meeting between the top Navy officials."

      "So what's so special," said Johnson.

      "The Kang was destroyed by an alien ship, one with superior weapons," said Erik.

      "Are you sure its not some new rebel ship," asked Johnson.

      "Yes we know its alien in the Kang's black box we found a message from the aliens, the call them selves the 'forerunner'" Erik flipped a button and the message played.

      All of the people at the table sat with their mouth slightly open in shock as they listened to the tape.

      When the tape ended Erik spoke again, "all that we currently know about the forerunner are from the old covenant prophecies and the accounts of Halo from John the Spartan."

      "So our next move is?" asked Johnson.

      "We must establish contact," said Erik.

      Next:Contact





bungie.org