halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Revolution Part 18: Go Tell the Spartans (Series Finale)
Posted By: Gruntkiller<ttavenor@nf.sympatico.ca>
Date: 19 October 2002, 5:15 pm


Read/Post Comments

      The Grand Priest walked towards the three Spartans. As he grew closer John could feel a power coming from him, it was immense and seemingly unstoppable. Shred and Smallwood seemed to feel it to.

      "Don't try and defeat me for you will join your friends," said the Priest.

      Almost perfectly in sync all three Spartans opened fired letting all of the rounds in their MA5Bs loose flying at extreme speeds towards the Grand Priest. He just stopped and watched the bullets fly towards him. All of a sudden the bullets seemed to slow down in the air and stop just in front of the Grand Priest.

      "My fight is with you John," he said then he waved his hand in a strange motion towards the Spartans.

      The bullets turned around in the air and suddenly flew towards Shred and Smallwood at an immense speed. Shred and Smallwood fell backwards as the bullets slammed into her bodies, and passed straight through them causing blood to fly out of the other side of their bodies. They laid on the ground dead, their blood poured out through the holes in their armor. John turned towards the Grand Priest and charged at him dropping his weapon and opted for his bare hands.

      The Grand Priest grinned as John approached him rapidly, John drew back his fist and lunged at the Priest, who just raised his hand, suddenly Johns hand stopped in midair it wouldn't move an inch. The Grand Priest drew back his fist and punched John in the head sending him flying backwards 10 feet. Blood was splattered all over the inside of John's helmet but more importantly his helmet had a large crack going up through it, John looked at his shields indicator which read that his shields were at full still. How could this be?

      "Incase you were wondering you shields are of little use against me," said the Grand Priest, "the technology is as primitive as those used in our front line troops."

      "You bastard!" said John as he got up and charged at the Grand Priest again, this time he stopped in mid run not able to move an inch.

      The Grand Priest walked towards John until he was just inches from his face.

      "I know what you were about to do, John 117," said the Grand Priest; "I have been watching you for many years. I was watching the night you were taken away from your home to Reach. I know who your closest friends are and were. I know everything about you, I watched you as you escaped Halo onboard that long sword. I even know what you're thinking right now."

      John stood their struggling against the energy that the Priest gave off that threatened to knock him unconscious. The Priest reached up straight through John's shields and hauled off his helmet revealing Johns face. The air stung as it rushed in around his face, sweat poured down his face as he clenched his teeth.

      "Now its tome for your life to come to an end," Said the Grand Priest, he reached up and grabbed John's neck choking him.

      Johns tried to scream as the Priest's hand tightened around his neck. Suddenly everything began to come to him as if it were a dream. This was his destiny. Hundreds of lives spent led up to this, and it was his time to be truly called a Spartan. In his mind pictures of his friends from Reach went through his head, He remembered when he Kelly and Sam won one of Chief Mendez's exercises and watching the battle of Thermopylae in class and how the Spartans stood ready to die in the fight against a greater evil. It was now John's time. John began to fight the force holding him in place. Slowly his hands began to rise. He slowly grabbed on to the Grand Priests hands, slowly he pushed the Priests hands off him.

      The Grand Priest looked in disbelief as John began to fight back. Johns face strained as he fought back, all of a sudden his movements began to pick up speed. He was released from the Priest grip.

      "So you can fight back," said the Grand Priest.

      "You will die," said John as he brought back his fist and lunged at the Priest.

      The Priest immediately blocked John's blow, but from underneath, Johns fist swung upward and with every once of strength left in his body John struck the Priest with an undercut. The Priest head snapped upwards making a crunching noise. John quickly thought to himself have I killed him.

      Suddenly the Priest came back forward the reveal the priest face with a grin on it.

      "You thought you could kill me that easily," he said as he drew back his fist. The fist flew forward striking John in the chest sending him flying backwards 20 feet. John lay sprawled out on the white marble floor with blood seeping through the cracked armor on his chest, blood dripped from his nose and his mouth, he was dying.

      The grand priest slowly walked towards John with a wide grin on his face.

      "Your destruction will make victory ours," said the Priest.

      Suddenly a report from an MD6 echoed throughout the room. John lay on the ground holding the pistol in his hands. It had only 2 rounds left in it. The Priest looked shocked. A small hole in his abdomen began to seep a pure black thick liquid so dark that it seemed to absorb any light that hit it. John pulled the trigger again a bullet went into the Priest's shoulder. He stopped staring at John with his mouth slightly open, with his hands over the bullet hole in his stomach. John lined up his last shot and let the bullet loose into the Grand Priest's head. The Grand Priest fell to the ground dead, the covenant had been defeated.

      John let the MD6 drop to the ground. He still lay on his stomach. Blood now poured out of the cracks in his armor forming a puddle around his body. Slowly John's eyes began to close he didn't even attempt to stop them from closing, millimeter by millimeter Johns field of view closed until everything was black.

      John was plunged into darkness. In the darkness that surrounded him a figure appeared in front of him it was familiar person, it was Dr. Halsey.

      "You have finally come to join your friends," said Dr. Halsey.

      Now a hundred years later on the spot were Johns body was found their lays a unadorned stone engraved on it one of the most famous warrior epitaphs.

O xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tede
Keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi

Or in English

Go tell the Spartans stranger passing by
that here obedient to your laws we lie.





bungie.org