halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


The Shadows - Part 6: Halo
Posted By: Glenny<CalKid07@aol.com>
Date: 13 September 2002, 5:35 am


Read/Post Comments

The battle at Reach left the Shadows with only six men...Castor, Cameron, and four others named Danny, Justin, Archer, and Eddie. They were all awake when they came out of slip stream space, silent as they thought about what had happened on Reach. Thousands...no, more like millions had died. Then they took in their own personal losses: Josh, Willie, Mike, Carl, and another named Marcus. Castor kept trying to think that Josh and Willie could still be alive...when he listened over the comlink there wasn't necessarily enough evidence to say that they were absolutely dead. The more he thought about it, the more he knew he had to just let it go and accept it.

"Yo guys. You might want to see this," Havok said from the hologram. They all went to the window and looked out...they saw the Pillar of Autumn being swarmed by dozens of Covenant ships. Covenant transports were docking and boarding the stranded Human ship. He also saw human escape pods leaving the ship, with a few being shot down. After a few minutes, he saw the last escape pods come out and head in the direction away from them. The Pillar of Autumn itself began to accelerate drastically...and as it moved a large ring was revealed to the Shadows' view. They were almost shocked by the site, then focused their attention on the human ship again. It was obviously going in manually, having rugged turns and such and going fast towards the ring. Many Covenant ships pursued it, until they couldn't see it anymore...it had gone onto the ring.

Havok spoke up again. "Well, my data tells me that this ring we have here is similar to Earth. Most of the same gases, landscapes...thing is the thing was built, not created naturally. Who would build something like that?"
Cameron gave out a short laugh. "Someone who was REALLY bored."

The humor wasn't really working, they were all still emotional about Reach. But this ring they came across was just shocking. Havok was right...who would build something like this? And the bigger question is why.

Castor finally spoke his mind. "Let's head for that ring. I'm almost certain there are Marines down there who we could help out.
Havok thought about it and replied, "I can do that. But the tracking device I put on that other ship is telling me that it is most likely almost to its destination. We are out of range of any other UNSC ship, so we'll have to pull out and head out of here as soon as we receive a signal that the Covenant ship stopped. Plus, the Slip Stream used up a lot of power in this ship...it'll take a bit of time for the power to replenish itself. We are cruising in the direction of the ring, so we'll be there within a few hours. By the time we get there we should be able to use the engines to land and such. But we can't do much for now...nothing but wait."
Castor smiled...Havok was obviously already thinking about this before they even arrived. "Alrite then Havok...tell us when to start getting ready."
"Roger that, Castor. You guys just get some rest. I'll notify you when we are landing."





bungie.org