halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


The Shadows - Part 3: The Covenant
Posted By: Glenny<CalKid07@aol.com>
Date: 6 September 2002, 3:27 am


Read/Post Comments

A new group of different alien species, identified as the Covenant, declared a holy war on the human race. The Shadows had already pulled off at least a hundred covert assaults and relayed information crucial to most of the Spartan successes and other successes. But with the Covenant, the Shadows had to adjust the way they eliminated their enemies. With the Spartan encounter on enemy troops, the Shadows went through new training, studying the weaknesses of their new enemies. Once again, the Shadows began launching major operations against the Covenant to relay information. Problem was that the files took a while to be decoded, so the use of the information was almost useless. But there was one mission coming up that was the most important. The objective was to board a Covenant craft, get as far in as they could possibly go and launch a surprise attack from the inside. All 20 Shadows were assigned this task. The Spartans were also supposed to participate in the mission, boarding the ship and attacking from the outside to sort of sandwich their enemies. The Spartans were told that they were going to help in an already planned attack, but the ones they were helping would not appear to them. Basically, the Shadows were going to make a clear way for the Spartans to get on and transfer information. This mission was before the one to board the Covenant craft and take it. This mission was strictly to get as much information from inside the Covenant systems as possible. But as always, problems came up that were almost insolvable...

"These vents are horrible," whispered Josh, who was crawling in the Covenant version of ventilation systems. He had point, and they were almost to their objective: the bridge. "Suck it up, Josh, this mission will give us a long vacation," replied Mike. Josh replied back, "Vacation? When was the last time you had a vacation? Because I certainly can't remember mine. And oh yes, that's right, we've been together this whole time. That means we've had NO vacation. "Give it a rest, Josh. We've been through these vents a million times. Why complain now?" asked Castor, who was the unofficial leader of the group. Josh was always mad when they had to give the Spartans cover. "Well, Castor, if it weren't for us the Spartans wouldn't be half as successful as they are. Why can't we get any of the credit?" Josh again replied. Castor simply responded, "Because then people will know about us, and our ultimate cover will be blown. Lets keep it as it is. Now don't say anything, we're coming up to the bridge here."

The five Shadows slid through the vents around the bridge, as the other fifteen Shadows took the hallways outside of the bridge. On a swift count of three, all fifteen Shadows dropped from the vents and secured the bridge. There were two Elites on the bridge, but with the plasma weapons that the Shadows took along with them, they were put down rather quickly. They set a C12 charge inside the bridge on the controls and such, and then took positions outside the bridge to defend against any enemies. As all 20 set up their defenses, the explosion in the bridge went off, followed by loud alarms. The sounds of the footsteps of Covenant could be heard far down the halls that they were hiding in. The first attackers were groups of Elites, but before the Elites could see anything...explosions went off all around the hallways as the Elites passed by. The Elites were killed as the explosions went off, and the Shadows came out of their hiding places and started exchanging fire with the Jackals and Grunts that followed.

The fire fight continued over the course of about ten minutes. Mike was targeting mainly Elites, since any other weapons weren't as effective. The Shadows didn't have any casualties yet, not taking any risks that had lives at stake. As they were waiting for the Spartan support, an emergency transmission came through to Castor's headset. The message stated, "Castor-88, this is Charles Buchet from Navy Intelligence. The Spartans have been called to Reach and the mission has been canceled. They need to complete the final stage of project: MJOLNIR. So drop all of your preparations and head back to your HQ."

Castor's eyes went wide. The message had not gotten to them in time. He cut off the transmission and yelled out "We're on our own! The Spartans aren't coming!""What the hell are you talking about?" replied Josh, yelling as he threw a grenade down the hall, killing about 3 grunts.Castor yelled back, "The mission was canceled! But since we were so far away the message didn't get to us until now! We have to get out of here!"

All of the Shadows began to fight harder: Not only for their anger that they weren't notified in time of the cancellation, but also with the fact that they were in the middle of a wasps nest. And the wasps new that they were there."Do you think we should head back through the vents or try to get out through one of their hangers?" asked Castor as he ducked for cover next to Cameron.Cameron replied, "We would have a better getaway vehicle if we went through the vents, but they would know we went that way and we'd be toast. But if you can get me to the hanger, I guarantee that I can get us out of here.""OK, we'll do that. We probably won't lose as much men this way either."

Castor started yelling out orders to the Shadows, telling them to move out in the direction of the hanger...or at least where they thought it was. It took a few long minutes but soon they were jogging down halls, ducking for cover when they came across enemy troops. After about half an hour and two casualties, they reached the top level of one of the hangers on the ship. As they looked around they saw at least 20 jackals spread out on different levels and about 20 grunts spread out also...no sign of any Elites. They also noticed two or three Covenant fighters at rest on one side, while a transport shuttle hovered on the other. The remaining 18 Shadows slowly and silently went from box to box, leap frogging their way above the buttons to open the hanger "doors" (which was on the second floor). When they got there, they began to figure out a way to get down without being seen...but this plan halted as a few jackals walked by their cover and spotted them. The biggest fight they'd experience so far was about to take place.

The first few Jackals quickly fell to the Shadows who were around that area. After the shots went off, all of the troops in the hanger became alert and started to shoot in that direction. Knowing that the Covenant were going to send their troops to this hanger, the Shadows moved fast. Josh was the first to take a risk, jumping off the top balcony down to where the buttons were on the second floor. He flipped in the air, shooting off an AR in each hand at the Covenant on the second floor with him. As he landed, he rolled for cover...just in time for two more Shadows to land where he once stood. The Shadows started dropping down to the second floor, all except for Mike and two Shadows to cover him...he was going to provide sniper cover until they were ready to leave, then he would get down and get in. Mike began to pick off Covenant troops on the second floor, specifically looking for Elites and Hunters, while the two with him gave him cover from enemies on the top floor. The rest of the Shadows positioned themselves on the little "peninsula" on the second floor where the buttons were located, exchanging fire with the growing amounts of Covenant around them.

"Castor, has Cameron figured that thing out yet?" yelled Josh as he ripped out his knife from a dead Jackal who tried to charge them."Not yet. He hasn't driven a Covenant vehicle before, aside from those Banshees," replied Castor as he barely dodged a plasma shot."He better hurry up, because we aren't going to live much longer than ten more minutes!"

The fight raged on. They fought the hardest they could, as a Shadow dropped dead every minute or two. They watched as they saw a plasma grenade fly into their position and stick to a box, and an honorable Shadow pushed the box off to save everyone else but losing his life in the process. They saw as a Shadow attempted to throw a grenade, and then get shot right in the face by plasma...and watched as the tremendous heat melted his face down until he died. After about 12 minutes, the shuttle came to life and the side flaps flipped down...Cameron figured out how to work it, but at the cost of five more Shadow's lives.

"Castor! Start loading them up! This thing has enough armor to withstand about 20 fuel-rods, but we still gotta hurry!" Cameron yelled out to Castor from inside the shuttle. Castor began loading the Shadows into the shuttle one by one. The two that were covering Mike jumped down, but as Mike was about to a fuel-rod was shot in his direction. He jumped back in time to live, but the force of the blast threw him back into the wall. He hit the ground hard, but he stood up and limped back to the ledge. The shuttle was turning in his direction to allow more Shadows to enter more easily. He saw Josh on the second floor still fighting to cover the rest of the Shadows, with Willie and a few others along with him. Then he saw Castor, who was standing on the flap that lowers to allow men to enter, helping other Shadows to get aboard. Castor looked up and saw Mike hurt up at the top floor.

Different ideas went through Mike's mind, but he finally built up all the strength he had left after the blast he took. He backed up and sprinted towards the ledge. He leaped off, heading towards the flap of the ship which Castor stood on. Mike began to fall towards the ground, coming up a bit short of the shuttle. Castor reached out and barely was able to grab onto Mike's hand, barely holding on to him as he hung from the ship. Castor put all the strength he had into both his arms: One was holding onto Mike and the other was holding a part of the shuttle for support. He pulled his hardest until Mike could grab on to the shuttle with his other hand. With that done, he helped Mike the rest of the way up. Mike, unable to do much, made his way to the mounted plasma gun below the ship and made use of it.

All but five Shadows were on the shuttle: Josh, Willie, and three others. They were backing up to the end of their little "peninsula" and the other three started to load on. Two of them successfully got aboard, but then two hunters from the top floor came into view, both shooting their fuel-rods at the same time. Willie saw it in time, and dove away. But Josh and the other Shadow didn't, and as the large explosion hit they were both thrown off the platform to the bottom floor. Josh was lucky and didn't take the main blow, but the other did and could not move his legs...which wer,"e ripped to shreds. They were each blown to the different sides of the "peninsula," isolating them both from helping each other. Within seconds, jackals and grunts completely eradicated the helpless Shadow who could do nothing but shoot at them while laying on the ground. Josh on the other hand was still going strong, ducking behind cover and exchanging fire with jackals and grunts. Mike was very helpful and shot down at most of the Covenant with the transport's gun.

Josh had the timing, and he ran from his cover to the side of the shuttle and looked up at Castor. "Castor! Toss me down the rest of the C12!"Castor's eyes widened in shock. "Are you crazy?!" he yelled back.Josh replied "I'll cover you guys! Don't worry, I'll get out!"Castor didn't want to leave a man behind, but he had faith in Josh. He took the last two blocks of C12 and tosses each one down to Josh. He took them back to his cover as the shuttle began to turn to head out the hanger door. Willie, who was still on the peninsula, pressed the button and opened it. He then took a running start and jumped a gap of about 15 feet to land in the flap of the shuttle and jump in. The flaps closed up.

Josh took one block of C12 and tossed it into the air, all the way up to the top floor. He pulled his pistol and was able to shoot it before it began to come back down, blowing out mostly everything near the top floor...which barricaded the entrances up there and most of the entrances on the second floor. He looked down and saw about five Elites enter the hanger from the bottom floor: The same floor he was on. He hurled the last C12 in their direction and took aim. As the Elites began to fire at him, he shot the C12, which sent him flying back into a wall and killing most of the Elites. He hit the ground hard, but was able to pull himself to his feet a few moments later. As he stood and smiled at what he had done, he saw an Elite also pull himself up...

The Elite and Josh both pulled their guns and began to fire...but ironically, both guns were broken from the blast. The Elite waited for his shields to recharge, but they did not...obviously broken or malfunctioning from the blast. They stared each other down for a moment, and the Elite reached down and grabbed something, and then a plasma sword formed in his hand. Josh smiled and pulled both of his daggers, one in each hand. They continued the stare down for only a few seconds more, and then they charged each other.

The Elite took a swing so hard that it would have probably taken off Josh's head, but Josh jumped and flipped over the Elite, spinning and kicking it in the back of the head. The Elite stumbled forward, but turned again to take another swing. This time Josh somersaulted to dodge, and was forced to do so again to dodge another swing. He stood up and the Elite took another swing. This time Josh dropped his daggers and grabbed the Elite's hands, stopping the sword from hitting him. Then Josh used a technique on the Elite he learned in training, sending the plasma sword hurling away. Both of them somersaulted away to regain themselves. Josh picked up his daggers again, and the Elite picked up a thin piece of metal resembling a human sword, although it wasn't round and not sharp. Another stare down, and another charge.

This time the Elite had the upper hand. He successfully hit Josh in the gut and across the back. Josh had rolled away and charged again, taking a few slices at the Elite. The Elite blocked several, but then was cut in his rib area and then his chest area. The Elite and Josh continued fighting without stopping for a minute, occasionally hitting the other...but mostly just throwing out attacks and having them blocked type of thing. The Elite then maneuvered his piece of metal to throw the daggers out of Josh's hands. As the Elite took a swing at Josh's head, Josh dropped to the ground and swung his leg up, kicking the metal out of the Elite's hand. Josh then jumped back up, and continued fighting with his fists along with the Elite. The Elite accidentally kicked a grenade off of Josh's utility belt, and the pin slipped off. Josh and the Elite both jumped away as the explosion went off, setting off other explosions and sending shrapnel all over the place.

Josh pushed a sheet of metal off of himself and stood up. He took a look around and noticed pieces of debris gently falling from the upper floors from other wreckage that took place. He took a look around, and hear a quiet sound behind him that a normal human wouldn't be able to hear. Josh ducked and caught the Elites arm just as the Elite swung to hit him in the head, and proceeding to slingshot him over his shoulder and to the ground in front of him. Josh held him in a position similar to the sleeper hold, only one hand was around his neck/chest area...the other hand was holding the Elite's arm, which now held a fully functional plasma pistol. They wrestled around the room like this until finally the Elite ran full speed at a wall and slammed Josh into it, knocking Josh to the ground and sending the Elite stumbling back from the hard hit. Josh lay on the ground, too hurt to be able to jump back to his feet. He looked forward and saw the Elite pulling himself up. Josh looked around and looked for something to use. He noticed something...one of his daggers under a sheet of metal along with a plasma grenade. He began pulling at the dagger and grenade, trying to pull them out from the heavy load. The Elite turned, and gave out a laugh at Josh. He then turned away to pick up the plasma pistol Josh finally was able to pull it out. In one swift motion Josh pulled the dagger out from underneath the metal, activated and stuck the plasma grenade to the tip of the knife and launched it at the Elite. As the Elite turned back around, it struck him in the middle of his chest, causing him to stumble back and drop the plasma pistol.

Josh watched as the plasma grenade went off inside his chest, blowing his body to pieces. Josh wiped the Elite's splattered blood off of his face with his ripped shirt, and began looking around for a way out. He heard the sound of others, and looked to one of the entrances to see other Covenant making a whole in the barricade that was formed. Josh knew he probably wouldn't make it out, being exhausted and hurt the way he was, but he pulled himself to his feet and got ready to go down fighting...

Fifteen minutes later, on the dropship which the other Shadows escaped in..."I knew he wouldn't have made it, I should have ordered him in the transport," said Castor, who was leaning against a wall in the transport.Mike shook his head and replied, "I know we all were attached to our squad, but Josh prevented any more death. Because of him we still have 10 men left.""It would have been eleven if we would have picked him up," Castor replied.

There conversation was interrupted when Cameron yelled to them that a Covenant fighter was approaching from their rear. As they were about to get ready to attack, a transmission came through the Covenant radio on the ship..."Yo...is that you guys?" came over the radio.Cameron pressed a button, and replied, "Who's this?""Oh come on...you're in the freaking middle of no where and a stranded ship comes up to you and speaks English to you? Who the hell do you think this?"Cameron smiled and replied, "Good point man. Just follow us, we can't bring you in right now."

Cameron turned to Castor smiling. "Guess who?" he said in a smart tone. Castor smiled...his friend had survived.

Although their mission was incomplete, and although they lost nine men, their mission was a successful failure. Every surviving man was given a variety of medals, including the Medal of Honor being given to Josh. The lost Shadows were also given medals but since they had no family to send these medals to, they simply hung them up above their bunks in the Shadow HQ.

The Navy Intelligence issued a LARGE apology to the Shadows. They would have made it public, but again that would ruin the cover and protection of the Shadows. Instead of getting a break, the Shadows began to prepare for their next mission...secretly assisting the Spartans in taking a Covenant ship.





bungie.org