halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


Outlaw, Chapter 3: MedBay and Taking The Fight Back
Posted By: Chris Cassani<plindberg01@earthlink.net>
Date: 24 October 2002, 5:21 am


Read/Post Comments

Meet the Marines:
Specialists:

The Sarge: A gruff man of African-American decent whom usually chooses to stay behind and plan missions, while also giving real-time orders when the battle heats up by remote linking into the recorders in every Marines helmet.

Seth "Outlaw" Zecks
Rank: Major
Specialty: Demolitions
Description: If it explodes, he uses it. Brave to the point of being considered somewhat insane, he usually has absolutely no regard for his personal safety or well being.
Weapons: M90 Shotgun, M19 SSM Rocket Launcher, Four Fragmentation Grenades, and Four Blocks of C12 High Explosive.

Micheal "Switchblade" Beckstead
Rank: Major
Specialty: Sniper
Description: A crack shot with the SRS99C-S2 AM Sniper Rifle as well as the M6D Pistol, he specializes in high-damage long-range combat. With over three hundred confirmed kills, over seventy five of those Elite's, he has become well known among Covenant ranks as a large threat.
Weapons: SRS99C-S2 AM Sniper Rifle, 2 M6D Pistols.

Jesse "Boomer" Jameson
Rank: Major
Specialty: Heavy Assault
Description: Frequently runs ahead to cause maximum damage to the enemy ranks or to deliver the finishing blow, he is an excellent officer with a long record of bravery and courage, even against seemingly impossible odds.
Weapons: MA5B Assault Rifle, M90 Shotgun, and Four Fragmentation Grenades.

The Marines:
Jenkins
Rank: Corporal
Specialty: Hacker
Description: Ever helpful and ever present, there isn't a door he can't open, a code he can't crack, or a computer he can't hack.
Weapons: MA5B Assault Rifle, M6D Pistol, and Four Fragmentation Grenades.

Stacker
Rank: Sargeant
Specialty: None
Description: Full of witty remarks, even in the heat of battle, he keeps morale up without fail.
Weapons: MA5B Assault Rifle, M6D Pistol, and Four Fragmentation Grenades.

Mendoza
Rank: Corporal
Specialty: None
Description: A great shot with many kills, he's always a bit behind the group.
Weapons: MA5B Assault Rifle, M6D Pistol, and Four Fragmentation Grenades.

Chips Dubbo
Rank: Private
Specialty: None
Description: The new guy, still undergoing hazing even though he's proven himself in several battles, and its rumored he's well on his well to a promotion to Corporal.
Weapons: MA5B Assault Rifle, M6D Pistol, and Four Fragmentation Grenades.

The Twins:
Kevin Capps
Robert Capps
Ranks: Corporal
Specialties: None
Description: These two are identical twins and are rarely caught apart. Always sticking together, even in the heat of battle, they work together as well as the fabled Spartans.
Weapons: MA5B Assault Rifle, M90 Shotgun, and Four Fragmentation Grenades.

Outlaw, Chapter 3: MedBay and Taking The Fight Back

     The Covenant were in perfect formation, a row of Jackal's with the two Blue Elite's at either end, with the Grunt's behind the Jackal's and the Gold Elite commander in the center at the rear.
     The Marines scrambled back to get weapons, including the Twins, whom to no ones surprise both picked out an M90 Shotgun. Jenkins and Mendoza both got M19 SSM Rocket Launchers along with four others, and Chip and Stacker both got M90 Shotguns along with eight others.
     Switchblade made ready to throw, hoping he could hurl the heavy brick of explosives far enough to land somewhere near the intimidating, multicolored, shimmering barrier that was the Jackal's shields.
     The rest of the Marine's were crouched down as well, inspecting their new weapons and making ready to fire while waiting to hear the big plan.
     "Ok guys, here's the deal. Once the explosives go off, I want all of the marines to stand up and mop up any survivors except the Gold Elite. Once all targets are confirmed dead, get back down. At this point I want the Twins to fire their shotguns until his shields die, then we go over the top and mow down that son of a gun like a lawnmower over grass." Ordered Switchblade.
     Various confirmations crackled into his ear, including a sigh from Boomer. He wouldn't get to gloriously rush in and take all the credit for today.
     Before throwing, Switchblade plugged a small fiber-optic probe, much like the one's used by the Spartans, into his eyepiece HUD and snaked it up over the crate so he could see where the explosives landed.
     He stood up and hurled the heavy block with all his might, and it landed just short of a blue Jackal wearing a helmet, the highest-ranking Jackal of the bunch. The line of Covenant stared, confused, at the strange gray brick, one Grunt in the back remarked "Haha, they out of ammo throwing stones at us!" while two Jackals parted their shields so he could run up and grab it.
     Much to Switchblades surprise, after picking it up he ran back behind the lines. It was perfect; he was right in the heart of the enemy unit. "Ok guys, here we go!" and hit the button...nothing happened.
     "Come on man, punch it, he's in the perfect spot!" complained Boomer.
     "The detonator's broken! It won't go off!" snarled Switchblade.
     "Give me that...," said Boomer, ripping it out of Switchblades hand. "You gotta push it down hard, like this" said boomer, shoving the button down to the stop.
     A loud explosion ripped through the halls, and the bodies of several Grunts and Jackals flew over the line of crates. The line of Marines popped up, spraying assault rifle fire at the remaining four Jackals, two Grunts, and the two Blue Elite's who were bent over, clutching their sides. All fell to the ground, not even resembling something that could live anymore.
     As the Marines crouched back down, the Twins popped up in unison, spraying their shotguns at the Gold Elite until both chambers clicked empty, and his shields were gone. As they fell back down to reload, everyone else went over the top, as they had called it in an ancient Earth war, and mowed over the shocked Gold Elite, firing any weapon that wasn't explosive.
     "Job well done marines, you almost looked like real soldiers right there." Remarked the Sarge.
     "We try sir." Replied Boomer.
     The unit walked up to the command center door that the Covenant line had been parallel to, it was now black and charred thanks to the numerous grenades and other explosive devices that had been detonated to retake this, the most important area of the base.
     "Damn man, look at all this Covenant bastage..." whistled stacker, shooting the body of the Gold Elite a few more times with his M6D Pistol.
     The ground lay littered with the bodies of seventy-five dead-Covenant, forty Grunts, thirty Jackals, four Blue Elite's, and the single Golden Elite commander.
     "This is Big Dog to CC, we are outside, could you please open up. Its safe to come out now boys." Said the Sarge to the Command Center.
     "Oh thank god, you're alive! YOU"RE ACTUALLY ALIVE! You've got to get me out of here, there are three Elite's, they've got some sort of cloaking device. The only way I can see them is their plasma swords. They sliced straight through the other door, slaughtered everyone, I'm pretending to be a body sprawled over the Communications Panel. I can reach the button to open the door from here, just get me out of here. One of them stabbed me in the left shoulder, I'm bleeding to death, please hurry!" whispered the panicked officer over the Com Line.
     "Ok marines, anyone with a Rocket Launcher take point. The moment those doors open, I want rockets hitting any floating blue lines." Ordered the Sarge.
     The doors slid open and they quickly spotted the invisible Elite's, walking together looking for anything that showed signs of life.
     Switchblade fired first, shooting both rockets and emptying his tubes. One was aimed at the Elite to the left, the other at the one in the middle. The first rocket struck dead on killing the target instantly. The middle elite had seen the first rocket streaking towards his companion and dodged right... straight into the path of the other rocket. Mendoza fired his rocket launcher as well, aiming at the last Elite's feet. The first rocket knocked him to the side, and the second propelled him into the ceiling. He hit, stuck there for a second, then fell all three meters back down.
     After all three Elite's were confirmed dead, they searched the room for whoever had let them in. He was already limping over to them, clutching his shoulder. He came to a stop, managed a loose salute, and fell into the arms of Boomer.
     "This is Big Dog to MedBay, we've got more wounded in the Command Center. Possibly three live officers, get up here pronto." Said the Sarge.
     "Roger that sir, Outlaw's going to be just fine."

Meanwhile, in MedBay...

     For the next few hours, Outlaw drifted in and out of consciousness while being treated for his injuries. Alone they were no problem for modern medical science, but put together it would take a skilled surgeon to save him.
     "Get this man hooked up to an IV, stat." Ordered one of the nurses.
     "Burnt left ankle, multiple burns on chest, hundreds of micro-shrapnel penetration wounds in the back, probable internal bleeding." Said another nurse.
     "Ok, first things first, get this guy on the table, lets open up his back and get that shrapnel out." Said the Doctor
     Outlaw felt a mask go on his face, and he passed out once again. He heard various parts of the surgery, drifting in and out in a haze.
     "So much shrap... back ripped to piec... losing pulse... only one..left to.." from the surgeon and various nurses.
     He awoke with a start several hours later, after the battle was long over and the wounded officer was in the bed next to his. He also saw his friend, Switchblade, asleep in a chair between the two beds.
     "Wak.." Outlaw tried to mutter something as his voice cracked.
     "Wake up du..dummy..." he finally got it out.
     Switchblade snapped forward in the chair, startled out of his nap. The officer let out a laugh, then clutched his stomach in pain.
     "Outlaw your..your awake, finally. They doctor said that once your up and about you'll be better than you were before." He said, stroking the cast on Outlaws arm.
     "What... what'd they do to me, why am I in a full body cast? The wounds couldn't have been that bad." Replied Outlaw.
     "Well, considering all the micro-shrapnel your little stunt with the grenades generated, you'd probably be in one even if they hadn't done what they'd done." Said Swtichblade.
     "What'd they do to me man? I feel different..heavy..." asked Outlaw.
     "They um... gave you some of the same improvements they gave the Spartans. The doc said he gave you muscular enhancement injections and did something called uh... carbide ceramic ossification to your bones." Replied Switchblade
     "THEY WHAT?! Why would they do that?" yelled Outlaw
     "He said the wounds were to severe, even when he did fix you up your skeletal and muscular systems wouldn't recover on there own. If he hadn't done it, you would be a vegetable right now. Your lucky you had him, he's the Spartans personal physician." Replied Switchblade
     The doctor walked by, and seeing their animated conversation asked Outlaw how he was feeling.
     "Ah... Major Zecks, you're awake. I'm guessing you've learned what we had to do. I promise I only did what was necessary to keep you alive, I didn't perform any sort of experimentation on you, merely what had to be done to insure your recovery. Of course, if you desire, after you've recovered we can remove the modifications..." said the doctor.
     "No...No, its alright, its just a shock is all." He replied.
     "Well, good. With these enhancements your bones can't break, they'll even stand up to those nasty plasma pistol shots, heehee. Also, you can now lift 3 times your own weight. I could lay down on that bed and you could lift it above your head with ease." Said the doctor.
     "How long is it going to take me to recover?" asked Outlaw.
     "We can have you out of the cast in four days, three days of therapy and high protein meals, and you'll be back better than you were before within two weeks." Said the doctor, walking off.
     "Well, what should I do now Switch?" asked Outlaw.
     "Now... now I want you to get some rest. In four days you're going to be a very different person, but for now, just sleep. I'll come to see you once a day." Said Switchblade "Now, go to sleep", he said, walking off.

     Next Chapter 4, Therapy and Becoming A Super Soldier.





bungie.org