halo.bungie.org

They're Random, Baby!

Fan Fiction


UNSC Long Range Rifle Group - Concealment
Posted By: Blindside<haloblindside@hotmail.com>
Date: 14 September 2002, 1:35 am


Read/Post Comments

~ Eagle Eye Base Camp, Outside of Kansas City ~

"What!" Colonel Henry shouted at the holographic image of Bud Worley, UNSC intelligence officer. "Are you sure?"
"Yes sir. Positive. It is the Covenant ship Harvest. A Class-AAA ship, it is rapidly approaching the remains of New York City. It looks as if they want to finish it off, sir. I have been asked to pass the information down to you. They said you knew what to do with it."
"Hmm. They did? Tell 'they' that I'm moving into NYC with precaution. Me and my boys will be on the lookout." Even though Tyler Henry was classified as a senior citizen of Earth, he still had plenty of fire in him. "We'll get there, setup, and wait on the uglies."
"Yes sir. I will pass that information along to my superiors. Anything else, sir?"
"Yes, if that is all the information."
"Yes sir."
"Then get to it." Col. Henry reached for the end button on the holophone.

* * * *



~ Eagle Eye Base Camp- Briefing Room ~

"Gentlemen, we have a problem. The covenant scum have entered the earth's atmosphere over the United States again, and are headed toward New York City. We have been asked to do something about this. Being as there are many covenant and 6 of us, we have to have a strategy. We can't just go in, rifles blazing. " Colonel Henry reached around and pressed a button on the holographic display. An image of a Covenant hunter appeared. "This is one of their leaders. He is different from the others in this mark. Henry pointed out a metallic gold mark on the elite's left shoulder. He is the primary target. If you see anyone that even remotely resembles him, shoot it. If the same mark appears on an elite, but in metallic silver- shoot it as well. That means that it is a field leader. We got to thank the IntOps boys on the information. Any questions?" He glanced around the room.
"Yes, Major Stewart?"
"When do we go, and where do we setup?"
"Glad you asked." Tyler turned and pressed another button to change the image to a three dimensional view of Liberty Island and the surrounding area. "We think that they are landing on Liberty Island for some reason. Stewart and Nicholson will be atop the statue's remains. Hakim and Assad will be perched on the nearby UNSC District building, and Goudois will be with Hambrick on the ground, moving from location to location as per Kline's orders. Kline and I will be stationed across the harbor, but will have plenty view to you all. We leave tonight."
Stewart nodded at the details, seemingly satisfied.
"Any other questions," interrogated the colonel.
"Yes sir. Will we eat on the plane?" Hakim's hand lowered as he asked the question.
A smile spread across the elder man's face. "Yes, soldier. We will eat."
Some of the others laughed uncomfortably, and they were nervous, but did not want to show it in front of the men. Pride can be a factor in many processes, especially among men of equal caliber. It was time to establish group pride as they go out on their first real mission.

~ Liberty Island, New York Harbor ~

"This is Stewart to Command. Nicholson and I are setup and ready to go." Their mats were laid out, their standard issue .45 caliber pistol at their side. Their personal rifles were up and pressed into their shoulders, and the camouflage was active in their armor.
"Damn it," Nicholson whispered.
"What?" Stewart turned to look at his partner.
"I got an itch. This damn armor won't let you do anything."
Stewart did nothing but laugh at his partner's predicament.


~ New York Harbor Pier 27 ~

"Damn it. Why do we always get the sucky positions?"
"Always?" Goudois looked to his English partner. "This is our first mission."
Hambrick stammered a bit. "Ss..s..so? That doesn't mean anything."
Goudois shook his head at the Brit, and turned on his camouflage. He heard the Harvest approach behind him. He looked skyward.
"Damn. It's true. And the ship is huge."
Hambrick looked at his partner, amazed at such an understatement.


~ Atop UNSC District 3 Building, New York City ~

"Damn, I'm hungry," Hakim said in his Israeli accent.
"Hell, Sam. You're always hungry," came the response without eye contact.
"So? I can't help it. A man's got to eat." He pulled out a candy bar from his rifle case and lifted his visor. He bit off a hunk as he looked skyward, only to see the Harvest incoming. He turned on his camouflage, as Assad did the same. The ship circled around the statue's island, and a slight hatch opened in the bottom of the huge craft. Smaller aircraft designated "Banshees" erupted from the ship, and they circled Liberty Island. One by one, they began to land on the island, and in the water. The grunts boarded the island, swinging their plasma rifles around, looking for something to shoot at.
That's the thing about Covenant. Relentless, but stupid, thought Assad. Perfect vermin.
The radio crackled to life with Jamar Kline's voice. "Alright, troops. Be on the lookout for the Covenant leaders. Here they come."
The radio kept alive as the others responded.
"Here they come. Yippeekiay," Assad said with false enthusiasm.





bungie.org